Poor running, any ideas?

phazed

Thanks guys. 👍

given there are four sensors, which ones seem to be faulty?

Thanks again, but what does that mean in English? The one on each bank before the Cat?

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Slightly strange that both pre cat lambdas would go at the same time, however for 2003 onwards part number 986 606 226 00 or Bosch 0 258 986 602 about £55 each from Autodoc or avaiable for a little more from your local Bosch auto electrical stockist or a lot more for the Porsche boxed identical Bosch part from your local OPC....

This is a 2002 car. With the part number be the same?

Just now, phazed said:

This is a 2002 car. With the part number be the same?

No, earlier cars (including the 2.5) are 986 606 126 01 and Bosch 0 258 986 505, slightly cheaper on Autodoc at £48.

All 4 are the same (1 before and 1 after each cat), so you could get one and see if you can chase the problem by swapping them around unless clearing the fault clears the issue.

6 minutes ago, phazed said:

Thanks again, but what does that mean in English? The one on each bank before the Cat?

Exactly that. 

And as has been said you could try swapping them over with the others after the Cat to see if the problem moves or stays with the sensor. You may even find it's corrosion or the wiring.

I did clear the faults, and they returned. Thanks for the information. I will order two and take it from there.

When I had the exhaust system off, I did unplug and check the wiring from the bodywork to the connectors and all seemed fine. All I have to do now is remove them from the cats! They look like they have been in there since manufacture and the cats themselves aren’t in the best of condition being original …

8 minutes ago, phazed said:

I did clear the faults, and they returned. Thanks for the information. I will order two and take it from there.

Maybe one of the (apparently many) reasons the PO ditched the car!

No doubt. Monday only for the list of what I’ve done, and you will be amazed!

at least I can hold onto the thought that all my spending on this car has helped the economy 🤔

12 minutes ago, phazed said:

When I had the exhaust system off, I did unplug and check the wiring from the bodywork to the connectors and all seemed fine. All I have to do now is remove them from the cats! They look like they have been in there since manufacture and the cats themselves aren’t in the best of condition being original …

Probably stating the obvious, but did you reconnect them when you put the exhaust back? I am suspicious that both are faulty with the same issue - the diagnosis in the response above is kinda pointing to an open circuit

• Like 2

100% reconnected.

I did do a lot of wire, brushing and cleaning up of the cats externally and left the sensors in place as they looked like they had been there forever and I would probably damage them taking them out. Of course they may not have been working when I bought the car, I really don’t know.

14 minutes ago, phazed said:

100% reconnected.

I did do a lot of wire, brushing and cleaning up of the cats externally and left the sensors in place as they looked like they had been there forever and I would probably damage them taking them out. Of course they may not have been working when I bought the car, I really don’t know.

I don't have a wiring diagram handy - but I would assume there's 12v on at least one of the pins when the ignition is on - is it worth putting a meter on the car side connectors and making sure there is supply before firing the parts cannon?

Maybe there's a fuse associated ? C2? ( https://fuse-box.info/porsche/porsche-911-996-986-boxster-1996-2004-fuses-and-relays)

Edited by Paul P

Will have a further investigation tomorrow morning. The rain has made me light a fire and get comfortable!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phazed said:

Thanks for all the information guys.

Good luck getting the sensors out if they don’t budge either heat up the boss extremely hot hot or run around the boss with a arc welder you will need to bust off the porcelain to get a good socket onto the stub

• Like 1

Heat good sockets and on the bench in a vice. 

one of mine came out and left most of the thread in the exhaust so had to chase that out. 

once out and re assembled found out that the old cats were blowing down the sides of the outside jackets, hard to find unless you smoke test them. 

new cats only £150 each and got a lot back for the old cats at the scrap yard. 

good luck!

Edited by Halfordwill

21 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

Heat good sockets and on the bench in a vice. 

one of mine came out and left most of the thread in the exhaust so had to chase that out. 

once out and re assembled found out that the old cats were blowing down the sides of the outside jackets, hard to find unless you smoke test them. 

new cats only £150 each and got a lot back for the old cats at the scrap yard. 

good luck!

Were they from Cat2u? How are they doing?

Thanks again. Will borrow proper socket from my sons garage and heat up so should be good.
Will check the wiring first this morning just in case. I don’t think that will be the case as the sensors look absolutely ancient! Sure they are the originals.

A minor update.

I checked fuses, all good. I disconnected both O2 sensors and checked and there was good 12v power at both multi plugs.

Damn cold in the garage and nothing else to do until delivery of O2 sensors scheduled for Monday so if they arrive at a sensible time, I will fit then.

Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

I got them from BM Catalysts direct. 
They were well made fitted nicely and seem to be ok so far. 👍

Interesting. Have they passed an MOT yet? 

Have you noticed any increase in noise levels?

If all goes to plan with running the car this year, I will probably invest in a new pair of cats to complement the rest of the system.