Could i have some opinions please

Jcn27

Hi all

So I think I know the answer to this question with my sensible head on but wouldn't mine some input from others.

I've put blood sweat and tears into the mechanicals of my car over the last couple of years and thought is was completely sorted. Yesterday I discovered an oil leak between the gearbox and engine. This is annoying as it had a clutch a couple of years ago and I'm sure the rms was done as well but it's not on the paperwork.

Here's the question, the car heavily stone chipped across the front and I was about to book it in for a front end respray. Do I fix the rms leak or live with it for now and get the body work corrected, I can't really do both at the moment.

How much is it leaking? What year is the car? Any chance it could be a failing IMS? I think it was @Cheddar Bob that had an oil leak dripping on his drive that turned out to be imminent failure of his IMS, but he caught it in time.

Cars a 2005 but has the bigger bearing. When I first got it I had it checked, that's how it ended up with a new clutch. I wasn't really worried about the ims.

47 minutes ago, Jcn27 said:

Cars a 2005 but has the bigger bearing. When I first got it I had it checked, that's how it ended up with a new clutch. I wasn't really worried about the ims.

A significant leak is not normal , misting at most but not a a obvious leak , could be the RMS but more likely the IMS cover plate seal , paint can wait it needs investigation, easier to paint a car than stripping out the gear box  just my ten penneth worth

I agree, decision made. I'll get it booked in tomorrow.

If anyone sees me at a meet (its unlikely as there isn't many up here) please don't comment on my shoddy paint. 🤣

1 hour ago, Jcn27 said:

I agree, decision made. I'll get it booked in tomorrow.

If anyone sees me at a meet (its unlikely as there isn't many up here) please don't comment on my shoddy paint. 🤣

You could organise a meet.  It only takes finding somewhere that serves a half decent breakfast with a fair size car park, then post up outline info to gauge interest, set a date and Bob's your uncle.  Build it and they will come!  Anywhere between 4 and a dozen I've found for local meets and 50 or so at Gaydon.

I do a couple a year down here in South Mids and the two pretty successful (even if I say so myself) Gaydon BoXa meets.  Takes less than an hour of your time max to sort out, even the big ones only take a couple of hours TBH, but don't tell anyone!..  That reminds me I must contact IWM at Cosford for this year.

6 hours ago, bally4563 said:

A significant leak is not normal , misting at most but not a a obvious leak , could be the RMS but more likely the IMS cover plate seal , paint can wait it needs investigation, easier to paint a car than stripping out the gear box  just my ten penneth worth

This

Paint is icing on the cake

If the cake is awful don't ice it

I drove my car round smashed up to make sure it all worked before I did the icing

No one will care at BoXa meets

You just need to be positive about everyone else's cars or they'll chop you up into little pieces and eat them with a glass of Chianti 

20220709-090352.jpg

3 hours ago, ATM said:

This

Paint is icing on the cake

If the cake is awful don't ice it

I drove my car round smashed up to make sure it all worked before I did the icing

No one will care at BoXa meets

You just need to be positive about everyone else's cars or they'll chop you up into little pieces and eat them with a glass of Chianti 

20220709-090352.jpg

One of us will only throw a stone at your car mid drive anyway @Jcn27 

Get your car booked in for an inspection, likelihood is just an rms weep. People replace the rms seals with clutch changes all the time and still end up with tiny drips. 

As for runs out with the forum I can mirror @ATM and say it's more about getting out for a drive. Up North we have some amazing roads, roads you can really drive in cars that are very fun! 

If you're not confident in arranging a meet & leading a run out. Drop me a PM and I'm happy to P1 some of the NE finest if you have any routes in mind. 

We did a route in 2022 over to Seahouses for fish and chips and it was quite fun! Didn't have a clue where we was going just chose the most squiggly lines Google maps had to offer and it was a really fun day out 👍

• Like 1