Jesus my brakes are bad....

Ninesomething

My fault - I've had front discs, pads, braided hoses and a GT3 master cylinder for ages and not fitted them out of laziness. In fairness I did the rears and the handbrake pads myself. I had an advisory on the MOT for front inner discs and one of the rear solid pipes last year. Anyway the car went on the lift yesterday and the inner discs look like a map of the himalayas 😲. Also several of the solid pipes are way worse than I would like. I didn't think the brakes were all that bad....

It's booked in.

Edited by Ninesomething

4 hours ago, Ninesomething said:

My fault - I've had front discs, pads, braided hoses and a GT3 master cylinder for ages and not fitted them out of laziness. In fairness I did the rears and the handbrake pads myself. I had an advisory on the MOT for front inner discs and one of the rear solid pipes last year. Anyway the car went on the lift yesterday and the inner discs look like a map of the himalayas 😲. Also several of the solid pipes are way worse than I would like. I didn't think the brakes were all that bad....

It's booked in.

Did they look something like this?

DJcyEqt.jpg 

Happy to help changing front disc and pads.  Brake lines, not so much having done mine last year.

I don’t know how disks can become so scored. When mine have worn on any car, they have worn evenly until a ridge forms on the edge of the disc. The actual surface of the disk is still flat with hardly a mark on them.
Is this heavy scoring down to cheap discs and pads?

42 minutes ago, phazed said:

I don’t know how disks can become so scored. When mine have worn on any car, they have worn evenly until a ridge forms on the edge of the disc. The actual surface of the disk is still flat with hardly a mark on them.

It's the silly perforated discs that are a  gimmick imoa.Nothing to do with cost.

• Haha 1

I don’t think it is that. I ran good quality drilled discs with Ferodo DS2500 track pads, (which is what I run my Boxster on when I do Track Days) for about seven years and 30 K miles including at least 30 Track Days plus sprints. When I sold the car, it still had the original discs but of course, it had been through about eight sets of pads. Discs were always sound, not scored, and actually showing hardly any wear which was pretty amazing. 
I have no idea what make discs they were as they were on the car when I bought it all those years ago! I assume they were expensive decent discs.

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

It's the silly perforated discs that are a  gimmick imoa.Nothing to do with cost.

They do at least three things.  Deglaze the pads, allow more routes for cooling air and save weight on an unsprung component so reducing suspension inertia.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ½cwt said:

They do at least three things.  Deglaze the pads, allow more routes for cooling air and save weight on an unsprung component so reducing suspension inertia.

And as everyone knows the 2.7's discs overheat at every corner, they handle like a cart-horse due to the excess weight but it's a wonder they can stop at all what with their pads being double-glazed. :laugh:

A small price to pay for the back not rusting and delamination but the performance gains more than make up for that  :ermmm:

23 hours ago, Liberty said:

They really should get into the groove  ;)

On 3/17/2024 at 8:34 AM, phazed said:

I'm assuming mine in the pic were the original Porsche discs. I did have the pads changed a few years ago.  Whats the consensus here on pad life and disc life? My 981 is on about 44000 miles now.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:34 AM, phazed said:

Or expensive?  Modern brakes wear the discs as much as the sintered pads.  If the discs aren't wearing, it could be that they are incompatible with the pad material, so your brakes are less efficient.

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 11:09 PM, ½cwt said:

Did they look something like this?

DJcyEqt.jpg 

Happy to help changing front disc and pads.  Brake lines, not so much having done mine last year.

Yep. I could only see the edge because of the shield. I'll post a pic when they get them off. I've never seen discs so smooth and shiny on one side and so pitted on the other but the guy that MOTed it told me it's pretty common these days. One theory that I think has weight is that when garages do the brake flush they only open one nipple so the fluid in the little pipe that goes to the caliper inner never gets changed which results in lower pressure to the inside pad. Who knows for sure?

Edited by Ninesomething

• 2 weeks later...

Textar /sebro. I got them for free from eporsch after I bought the car and had them inspected. I called up and moaned and they sent me a full set front and rear. I did the rears myself because they were really bad but when I looked at the fronts I didn't think they were too bad - there was plenty of meat on the pads and the outside of the disc was smooth and shiny so I didn't bother. Only when it was on the ramp I realised how bad the insides were. Yeah I could do them myself but adding all the other bits in I'm just getting the pros in.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Eporsche sent me 2.7 discs instead of S ones. And they refused to change them despite the fact that they sold me the car. So they're off the Xmas card list. 

The rest of the work was all done and the stainless hoses/GT3 master cylinder are a great mod - even with the old discs/pads until I can get some new ones. The rigid pipes were in a shocking state - the guy put some pressure on them and they just broke into pieces. Replaced them with kunifer so that's one less thing to worry about. 

So they sent you 2.7 discs.  Distance Selling Regulations would apply if you'd bought them...  Not good form from a supplier who wants to keep a reputation.

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2024 at 7:51 AM, Bike Loon said:

First post would indicate that maybe he received them some time ago and has not realised maybe. Still not great service as they sold you the car!

Quite. I'll probably stick them on here for sale. Can't be bothered to argue beyond what I`ve done but I won't be buying any more cars or parts from them. From their perpective the difference between the ones I have and the ones I need is irrelevant. I obviously offered to pay whatever the difference was but no dice. 

Edited by Ninesomething