Heated seats retrofit

Sanky

Just finished retrofitting factory heated seats and I must say I’m not overly impressed with the amount of the heat they give.

I was expecting something like on my Jag where they get really nice and hot, that you have to turn them down.

NwpM6y6.jpeg

Never tried mine as I have taken the seats out. I will say that my 987 heated seats are, “hot” and need switching to the lower setting after about 5 or so minutes.

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

I like those switches. Do you have a list of the parts you used and any pictures of the instal please?

I’ll put one together, not difficult to do if you buy the seats with heating elements already fitted.

1 hour ago, Sanky said:

I’ll put one together, not difficult to do if you buy the seats with heating elements already fitted.

Thanks. The retro fit I have seen (I think on here) had a two stage switch. The standard switches are, I think, one stage. Perhaps you are not activating all of the heater if it is not hot enough?

1 hour ago, Sanky said:

That may be why it's not as hot as you expect? Perhaps some are broken? 

54 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Not wired for heating…yet..

But they will be!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TV8 said:

The retro fit I have seen (I think on here) had a two stage switch. The standard switches are, I think, one stage.

My 987 are two stage and as it never gets colder here than about 4C I only use the lower setting. That’s hot enough for me!
the video you posted of the 986 showed they were two stage also. 

8 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

the video you posted of the 986 showed they were two stage also.

My 9x7 seats support two stage heating and this is linked to the ecu or some ecu linked controller.  I think, the 9x6 switches are single versions, ie on or off and reset to off with ignition or power disconnect. 
if you mean the video of the seats into the 986, I haven’t made it to the end of that yet. I decided to instal and sort the heating later. If it was a different one, can you remind me which was it was please?

You're all over the threads! I had to go and find it...

In the intro to the heated seat project, at about 1.50 he says he bought the original switches. At about 4.45 he says the switches normally toggle for two temperature settings. So both 9x6 and 9x7 have two stage heating. But he then says that they couldn't work out how to wire the seats to get both settings working.  I have not watched all the other videos to see if they then solved that.

12 hours ago, edc said:

That may be why it's not as hot as you expect? Perhaps some are broken? 

They are factory heated Porsche seats, if either of the elements were broken they wouldn't heat up at all.  I tested all the elements before fitting the seats and had to put a new element for the back.

What are peoples thought who have factory fitted heated seats in there 986 Boxster, do they heat up a lot?

44 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

You're all over the threads! I had to go and find it...

There a few threads on this subject at the moment. Thank you for looking as I couldn't remember it! That is the summary video and I skipped that and probably explains why I didnt remember it :) 

I watched the individual ones with each of the stages and on the one with the switches he modifies the switch, presumably to work with the many relays and diodes.

I have just checked the manual (trying to remember how to switch off the traffic announcements that have appeared on the radio since I disconnect the battery!) the standard switches are indeed dual setting and have red (high), orange (low) and off-settings.  The off setting comes from clicking the LED side of switch, which is the only working side in the modified wiring in these videos.

3 hours ago, TV8 said:

My 9x7 seats support two stage heating and this is linked to the ecu or some ecu linked controller.  I think, the 9x6 switches are single versions, ie on or off and reset to off with ignition or power disconnect. 
if you mean the video of the seats into the 986, I haven’t made it to the end of that yet. I decided to instal and sort the heating later. If it was a different one, can you remind me which was it was please?

The 986 heated seats also have 2 stage heating, press once for high heating and a second for low heating.  The switches have LEDS that glow red and orange.

1 minute ago, Sanky said:

The 986 heated seats also have 2 stage heating, press once for high heating and a second for low heating.  The switches have LEDS that glow red and orange.

I have just discovered that. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Sanky said:

What are peoples thought who have factory fitted heated seats in there 986 Boxster, do they heat up a lot?

With the 2-stage seat heating in my 986.1, like every other car I've had with heated seats, the hottest setting was too hot for my liking and I'd never use that setting for more than a minute or so. So I'd say the answer to your question is a definite yes, if they're working correctly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

With the 2-stage seat heating in my 986.1, like every other car I've had with heated seats, the hottest setting was too hot for my liking and I'd never use that setting for more than a minute or so. So I'd say the answer to your question is a definite yes, if they're working correctly.

Thanks, I'll have another look at the wiring.  As If I have got something wrong, I've done the same to both seats.

5 hours ago, iborguk said:

There is also the possibility that the heated elements themselves are no longer as effective due to aging. 

I had to replace the heated element for the back rest for a new, when I measured the resistance on the new element it was around 0.8 Ohm.  The other heating elements measure around the same resistance.  So think they are all good.

I can even see the seats drawing current on when the heating is on, which is a around 6A per seat for both high and low setting.  Can also seeing it going on and off as it gets to the desired setting.

Think it might be just the way they are.

• Like 1

Or the possibility that they may have given up the ghost!

28 minutes ago, Sanky said:

I had to replace the heated element for the back rest for a new, when I measured the resistance on the new element it was around 0.8 Ohm.  The other heating elements measure around the same resistance.  So think they are all good.

I can even see the seats drawing current on when the heating is on, which is a around 6A per seat for both high and low setting.  Can also seeing it going on and off as it gets to the desired setting.

Think it might be just the way they are.

Fair, do you have access to any Porsche diags kit with which you can read the live temp values of the seats ? 

57 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Fair, do you have access to any Porsche diags kit with which you can read the live temp values of the seats ? 

It’s not that intelligent, there is no diagnostic wiring to any of the heated seat.

32 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Or an IR gun thermometer like got popularised during the pandemic?

I do, I’ll see what readings I get with that.

According the the wiring diagrams I have (see below, 2000 and the 2001 onwards but they look the same to me, but with different layouts) there is a control unit as well as a switch for the 986 seats.  There are 4 inputs from the switch plus a 12v supply in and out. Someone smarter than me at car electrics may be able to work out the symbols to tells us what int eh switch and what's in the control unit. 

They control units are in the seat but I'll be damned if I can find them in the parts cat unless they are part of the elements.

aNxvNoV.jpeg 

0CfZ7Gg.jpeg