Shifters

Bbooxxsstteerr

5 minutes ago, Bbooxxsstteerr said:

I know what you mean. In reviews of Caterham (no longer own) and MX5 NA  (selling it) the shifts are praised for being rifle bolt. But I don’t like them.

I actually like the shifts on all my various VW Golf and Passat variants over the years. They are fast, accurate  but never feel like they are meeting too much resistance which makes them more relaxing to use.

I’m very pleased with the descriptions of the 997 shift upgrade. 

Where are you based? You can always have a feel of mine if you’re not too far away, (come on guys, it is a Sunday morning :)).

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Either way on your opinions, however draining 90k mile 19 year old oil and replacing with new improved the change on my 6 speed 986 'box making 2nd much less baulky when cold.  Cable performance has nothing to do with the improvement when warming up, it is the oil in the 'box getting up to temp that improves everything, as it becomes warm it is more fluid in its correct operating temp range.  Cleaning and lubricating the cable ends and external linkages on the 'box also helps.

+1 - I just had my fluid replaced on my 2003 986S at my service 2 weeks ago and it has made a significant improvement to the shift quality. Going through the service records it had not been done before, and is a relatively cheap and easy upgrade.

2 hours ago, map said:

NjHG6RN.jpeg

CAE Shifter is an option too

Out of interest, more details please.

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Cable performance has nothing to do with the improvement when warming up, it is the oil in the 'box getting up to temp that improves everything, as it becomes warm it is more fluid in its correct operating temp range.  

I'd agree 

If shift improves as temp increases I'd be thinking box or fluid rather than cables or shifter

Mine improves with temperature and I have just changed the oil in the gearbox with expensive stuff.

1 minute ago, phazed said:

Mine improves with temperature and I have just changed the oil in the gearbox with expensive stuff.

Mine too

They all do this

So I guess we're going round in circles?

2 hours ago, robert997 said:

This is an amazing interior ! And shifter too !

Thank you - it’s taken time to arrive at this. There’s a quite a buzz dropping into the seats, firing it up and selecting a gear.

Shifter is as transformative as the seats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, map said:

Fluck me! Is it worth it!

what are the advantages? Serious questions.

2 hours ago, phazed said:

Fluck me! Is it worth it!

what are the advantages? Serious questions.

Have you seen what else he's done to the car???

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, phazed said:

Where are you based? You can always have a feel of mine if you’re not too far away, (come on guys, it is a Sunday morning :)).

Steady…

Im a million miles from anywhere in Northumberland. Mind you the roads round here are very good. We have the go to roads for the NE Lotus club and their full range of Elise/Exige - when they work. 

Edited by Bbooxxsstteerr

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Have you seen what else he's done to the car???

Nope.

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Nope.

It has been a long project, put aside some time to red through:

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

It has been a long project, put aside some time to red through:

Thanks for that.

4 pages in and will continue tomorrow…

On 3/31/2024 at 8:34 PM, Bbooxxsstteerr said:

Steady…

Im a million miles from anywhere in Northumberland. Mind you the roads round here are very good. We have the go to roads for the NE Lotus club and their full range of Elise/Exige - when they work. 

If you ever come down to Yorkshire give me a shout and you can see what a 997/987 shifter feels like in my 986 S. 👍

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, fizz said:

If you ever come down to Yorkshire give me a shout and you can see what a 997/987 shifter feels like in my 986 S. 👍

Regularly in Yorkshire - lived in Leeds for 15 years.

Thank you!

Edited by Bbooxxsstteerr

33 minutes ago, Bbooxxsstteerr said:

Regularly in Yorkshire - lived in Leeds for 15 years.

Thank you!

I'm Bradford based but will be moving to Leeds in June mate so your more than welcome next time you're down. 👌

On 3/31/2024 at 10:55 AM, map said:

NjHG6RN.jpeg

CAE Shifter is an option too

I’ve read your 18 page thread and, that is what I call commitment to a car. And polite - this has to be the most polite forum ever.  I won’t be doing all this to mine but I understand the feeling of special. 

6 hours ago, Bbooxxsstteerr said:

I’ve read your 18 page thread and, that is what I call commitment to a car. And polite - this has to be the most polite forum ever.  I won’t be doing all this to mine but I understand the feeling of special. 

Thank you. “Commitment” is one way to describe it…..

Mind you wading through all 18 pages takes some doing 👏

2 hours ago, map said:

I was clicking through one of my old threads and some of the pictures seem to have expired form the hosting site.  It is annoying.  Although I guess we cant complain as its a free service.

8 hours ago, map said:

Caught up to page 7 in a hospital waiting room. Apparently it put my blood pressure up! Roof off and country lane route home, probably made it worse!

Back on subject. I am collecting snippets of your engine upgrade for my track focused 986. Useful stuff. I will add that driving my 987 RS60 after 6 months absence has reminded me how much torquier the 987 RS60 is throughout the rev range, possibly helped by a different throttle body on the RS60...anyone know?

15 hours ago, Bbooxxsstteerr said:

And polite - this has to be the most polite forum ever.  

On most topics, yes. There are certainly exceptions :)