Shifters

Bbooxxsstteerr

When my first 986 was delivered new in 03 one thing I do remember was the shift being pretty underwhelming. 

So when I test drove my recently acquired 986s, I expected the shift to be not quite as bright as my first 986 and it was just as I expected. 

I see lots of solutions for short shifters or machined components for 986/996 shifts. However, I don’t know if these end up potentially causing a problem down the line (or cable so to speak) either now or a later date. I know Porsche made some engineering mistakes. The amount I’m paying to do a preventative IMS fix highlights that. However, does anyone have any experience of long term use and any problems associated of machined replacement components in the shift? By long term I’m thinking over 30k miles.

Im having the transmission fluid changed and a new clutch while the IMS is being done (and RMS as info the rms started leaking 18 months into ownership on my first one).

Have others found fresh fluid and/or clutch helps shift quality. I can’t see how the clutch would - pedal yes shift no unless the clutch was very close to failing. 

Edited by Bbooxxsstteerr

I recently fitted a used 987 shifter to my 986S. I modified the shifter to take up the play in the elongated white nylon channel with a section of the correct thickness feeler gauge which I put up on here somewhere awhile back. The gear change now has zero play, is very direct and great to use. 

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Is any of it Boxster specific because it was developed for 911 then the motor/box was rotated to fit in the Boxster? Is it a compromise?

Never feels like Porsche compromise. Mistakes yes. If we were talking Alfa yes they compromised the intial fabulous designs they had before breakfast. But in truth I don’t know enough about the history of Porsche. 

13 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Lots of comments on improved 986 shifters here, I don’t remember any comments on damage as a result. I’d say rest easy. 

I’m a natural born worrier. There is a little gnat lives in my head saying why didn’t Porsche do that. 

23 minutes ago, phazed said:

I recently fitted a used 987 shifter to my 986S. I modified the shifter to take up the play in the elongated white nylon channel with a section of the correct thickness feeler gauge which I put up on here somewhere awhile back. The gear change now has zero play, is very direct and great to use. 

Thanks - I shall go and find that. 

I have a 997/987 shift in my 986S. Easy direct swap and shortens the throw nicely and still all original parts.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bbooxxsstteerr said:

Have others found fresh fluid and/or clutch helps shift quality. 

I've seen some comments from people swearing that fresh fluid improved shifts. But I have never experienced that. In my view the only way it would make a big difference was if the old stuff coming out was complete doggy do do. I try to keep on top of fluids as its easy to do regularly at home. If you shift feels a bit stiff ghe new cables could help. Everything underneath these cars get turned into cheese by our wonderful climate here in UK. So if your cables are original then they are probably gunned up with crud and possibly a bit rusty inside too. I was thinking about trying numeric cables but I believe the stiff metal clips transmit a lot of gearbox vibrations into the c*ck pit. Where as the standard cables have plastic ends which are not as direct but much more civilised. 

My 2002 986 has the original cables and are a little on the stiff side when cold but absolutely fine when warm. Something else on the list to replace.
I have heard that the 987 cables are different. I have a set in the garage and visually they look the same. Can anyone 100% confirm that they are different? 

As to oil? I agree with you above. Unless it is really, really old, new oil and improvement would be barely noticeable.

I’m very taken by this 997 solution.

I like the point it’s all OEM and it doesn’t make it a tiny short throw. I don’t want to change the character of the car, - it’s just that change is a bit slushy for otherwise such a good drive. 

Im grateful for the thoughtful responses. 

5 hours ago, Bbooxxsstteerr said:

Have others found fresh fluid and/or clutch helps shift quality. 

Re clutch I don't think this affects shifts. Like you said the clutch either works or it doesn't work. I believe as these get older they gey stiffer. But that's about it. I had one fail on my 2003 986 in 2006. It just worked and then didn't. Metal split or fractured and it lost its tension so was always slipping. Pedal went to the floor too. So they either tire and stiffen up or just fail.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

When I used the 987 shifter, it had done approximately 84K miles. The actual front and rear bearings were fine. It just had slop in between the metal spherical pin and the white nylon block. Where this guy uses shim stock, I measured the amount of play in between this spherical pin and the bottom of the nylon block and filled that gap with a section of suitable thickness feeler gauge which I just trimmed to fill the slot. I did that modification on my 987 and 986 and both changes are so much better.

26 minutes ago, phazed said:

When I used the 987 shifter, it had done approximately 84K miles. The actual front and rear bearings were fine. It just had slop in between the metal spherical pin and the white nylon block. Where this guy uses shim stock, I measured the amount of play in between this spherical pin and the bottom of the nylon block and filled that gap with a section of suitable thickness feeler gauge which I just trimmed to fill the slot. I did that modification on my 987 and 986 and both changes are so much better.

Ok nice

I don't really know what shim stock is

I'm thinking tin foil with a different name

Along those lines! I believe you can get it in different thicknesses. My only negative thoughts about shim stock is that it seems to be very soft. The section of feeler gauge that I used was spring steel and therefore should have decades of wear in it.

9 hours ago, ATM said:

I've seen some comments from people swearing that fresh fluid improved shifts. But I have never experienced that. In my view the only way it would make a big difference was if the old stuff coming out was complete doggy do do. I try to keep on top of fluids as its easy to do regularly at home. If you shift feels a bit stiff ghe new cables could help. Everything underneath these cars get turned into cheese by our wonderful climate here in UK. So if your cables are original then they are probably gunned up with crud and possibly a bit rusty inside too. I was thinking about trying numeric cables but I believe the stiff metal clips transmit a lot of gearbox vibrations into the c*ck pit. Where as the standard cables have plastic ends which are not as direct but much more civilised. 

9 hours ago, phazed said:

My 2002 986 has the original cables and are a little on the stiff side when cold but absolutely fine when warm. Something else on the list to replace.
I have heard that the 987 cables are different. I have a set in the garage and visually they look the same. Can anyone 100% confirm that they are different? 

As to oil? I agree with you above. Unless it is really, really old, new oil and improvement would be barely noticeable.

Either way on your opinions, however draining 90k mile 19 year old oil and replacing with new improved the change on my 6 speed 986 'box making 2nd much less baulky when cold.  Cable performance has nothing to do with the improvement when warming up, it is the oil in the 'box getting up to temp that improves everything, as it becomes warm it is more fluid in its correct operating temp range.  Cleaning and lubricating the cable ends and external linkages on the 'box also helps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ATM said:

Forget Numeric tried them lost quite a bit of money flogging them on  not right for a Boxster as the amount of turns needed to connect them up made them improbable regardless of how I tried several different routings save your money and just go with fresh cables

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

Forget Numeric tried them lost quite a bit of money flogging them on  not right for a Boxster as the amount of turns needed to connect them up made them improbable regardless of how I tried several different routings save your money and just go with fresh cables

The 5 speed responds well to new oil ( Getrag box ) however the 6 speed is the ( I forget at the mo ) different manufacturer total placebo effect possibly but have felt better for a oil change , and certainly can’t do any harm for 2.5 lt of 75/90 for £30 odd quid?

I installed the typical ebay short shift kit (around GBP35). To be honest, I am not really happy with it. The shift is more precise but it is too stiff for my taste. Not really good for everyday driving. I never tried the 997 solution but I would look around there first. I think my clutch cables are fine. :) I can't see how this kit could damage it.

7 hours ago, bally4563 said:

The 5 speed responds well to new oil ( Getrag box ) however the 6 speed is the ( I forget at the mo ) different manufacturer total placebo effect possibly but have felt better for a oil change , and certainly can’t do any harm for 2.5 lt of 75/90 for £30 odd quid?

I thought the 6 speed was Getrag and the 5 was borrowed from an audi

4 hours ago, Norbert said:

I installed the typical ebay short shift kit (around GBP35). To be honest, I am not really happy with it. The shift is more precise but it is too stiff for my taste. Not really good for everyday driving. I never tried the 997 solution but I would look around there first. I think my clutch cables are fine. :) I can't see how this kit could damage it.

Stiff shift could be the cables. If you fitted it yourself and know what you're doing then try removing cables and check shifter moves freely without any cables attached. Then try moving cables without shifter attached and see how they feel. You could even disconnect from gearbox end too.

Sure these short shift will be a little stiffer but tired cables will amplify the stiffness. 

I've never heard of anyone trying to force lube into the cables but surely there is a way if you really don't wanna spend on new 

9 hours ago, bally4563 said:

5 speed is a VAG Audi unit, 6 speed is Getrag.

5 hours ago, Norbert said:

Clutch is hydraulic...

7 hours ago, Norbert said:

I know what you mean. In reviews of Caterham (no longer own) and MX5 NA  (selling it) the shifts are praised for being rifle bolt. But I don’t like them.

I actually like the shifts on all my various VW Golf and Passat variants over the years. They are fast, accurate  but never feel like they are meeting too much resistance which makes them more relaxing to use.

I’m very pleased with the descriptions of the 997 shift upgrade.