987.1 routine oil change - metal flakes (3.2S)

832ark

45 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Between paying for a total engine rebuild at half the value of the car, and looking like a muppet to a few guys online, I'd very happily choose to play the music and light the lights.

Hope it works that way for you.

I second that!

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Between paying for a total engine rebuild at half the value of the car, and looking like a muppet to a few guys online, I'd very happily choose to play the music and light the lights.

Hope it works that way for you.

Yep, I’ll take being an idiot all day long! 🤣

I just didn’t put two and two together. The label flakes behave exactly like the ones I was concerned about. OK, I did find one tiny bit of a different metal in there but that doesn’t really concern me. 

2 hours ago, 832ark said:

Yep, I’ll take being an idiot all day long! 🤣

I just didn’t put two and two together. The label flakes behave exactly like the ones I was concerned about. OK, I did find one tiny bit of a different metal in there but that doesn’t really concern me. 

Sometimes being lucky is better than being good.  Hope the test report is clear.

• Like 1

Just received a very pleasant report from Millers. The news is good, nothing to be concerned about. So the verdict is that I’m an idiot 😁.

I really do appreciate all of the advice/support.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 832ark said:

Just received a very pleasant report from Millers. The news is good, nothing to be concerned about. So the verdict is that I’m an idiot 😁.

I really do appreciate all of the advice/support.

Not an idiot all, just a self-confessed novice who did exactly the right thing - asked people who know more before blindly throwing money at it. Very sensible, good job... 👍

9 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Not an idiot all, just a self-confessed novice who did exactly the right thing - asked people who know more before blindly throwing money at it. Very sensible, good job... 👍

Sadly, I’m not a novice - been working on cars for more than 25 years 😁

Just now, 832ark said:

Ah right - I take it all back....idiot!

Only kidding.... 😉

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, nelmo said:

Ah right - I take it all back....idiot!

Only kidding.... 😉

I couldn’t make sense of it having never seen anything similar come out of an engine before, hardly surprising given the source!  🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, 832ark said:

And you asked BoXa ?!? 🤣

Seriously, glad it is an easily explainable anomaly.

Edited by ½cwt

10 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Nice feedback and well done. Text is not clear for me, what was the material in the bar graph?

I can’t post any higher resolution, the forum won’t allow me to increase the file size. The spike is Boron, usually from the additive pack in the oil and not a concern. 

• Thanks 1

A great result. Interesting that they noted some fuel dilution in the sample, but that it was normal for performance engines.

I changed my oil yesterday and was very careful to check the waste oil pan was sticker free and clean before dumping the oil into it, so at least I’ve learned something from your experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 832ark said:

I can’t post any higher resolution, the forum won’t allow me to increase the file size. The spike is Boron, usually from the additive pack in the oil and not a concern. 

Use Flickr or Imgur and a host, then 'Copy image link' and paste in the forum.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ninesomething said:

Out of curiosity what did the oil test cost? I won't call you an idiot.

£40, will continue sending samples at each oil change I think, be interesting to keep an eye on the health. 

• Like 1