987.1 routine oil change - metal flakes (3.2S)

832ark

I read somewhere that some additives have a film within them that dissolves over a period of time , again the OP says it rubs away between his fingers  I don’t know of any non ferrous metal that you can rub away …. Unless your Dynamo !!

• Haha 1

Some water additives to control leakage in rads etc are very similar… hope I’m right, and OP sees light at the end of the tunnel rather than oh! fek !

10 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Some water additives to control leakage in rads etc are very similar… hope I’m right, and OP sees light at the end of the tunnel rather than oh! fek !

tenor.gif

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ninesomething said:

If you found it in the bottom of the sump could've been there ages.

I changed the oil only 2.5k ago and nothing came out that time.

Think I have a plan, wait for the oil analysis results. Depending on what they are I’ll do 50 gentle miles and pull the oil filter. If that’s clear I’ll do some more miles then drop the sump. Obv if the analysis is bad news then maybe straight onto the rebuild, will take some advice in that instance.

6 hours ago, 832ark said:

The thing is, last time I dropped the oil 2.5k miles ago there was nothing in it. I’m wondering if I’ve just caught it early before the knock starts.

Mine rattled for about 3 months and I drove for 500 miles while I tried various ways to try work out what the problem was. When I finally checked the shells, they had wear streaks in them but the crankshaft was untouched. This is why I find it funny when everyone obsesses over which oil to use, changing spark plugs every year etc; car engines are far more rugged and reliable than car dealers would have you believe...a few tiny flakes with no other symptoms means nothing.

57 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Mine rattled for about 3 months and I drove for 500 miles while I tried various ways to try work out what the problem was. When I finally checked the shells, they had wear streaks in them but the crankshaft was untouched. This is why I find it funny when everyone obsesses over which oil to use, changing spark plugs every year etc; car engines are far more rugged and reliable than car dealers would have you believe...a few tiny flakes with no other symptoms means nothing.

That’s positive!

3 hours ago, nelmo said:

Until it does....

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Until it does....

Well, I can only go by my personal experience - I've treated my cars like cr*p; 20k miles between oil changes, using Halfords own-brand oil and sometimes even mixing 5W30 and 10W30 because that's all I had at the time. My 95k mile Suzuki (bike) I had from new had one spark plug change and I don't ever recall changing the brake fluid. My Lexus never had spark plugs done in the 65k miles (3 oil changes) I owned it. The above mentioned bearing shell wear was the worst that has ever happened and that was caused by a friday-afternoon oil pickup pipe in the shortened sump on my kit car - took me 3 months to finally work it out.

It's not really about being miserly (which I am) but I'm just lazy - I'd much rather go on a drive than work on the car or, god forbid, wash it 🙂 

32 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Well, I can only go by my personal experience - I've treated my cars like cr*p; 20k miles between oil changes, using Halfords own-brand oil and sometimes even mixing 5W30 and 10W30 because that's all I had at the time. My 95k mile Suzuki (bike) I had from new had one spark plug change and I don't ever recall changing the brake fluid. My Lexus never had spark plugs done in the 65k miles (3 oil changes) I owned it. The above mentioned bearing shell wear was the worst that has ever happened and that was caused by a friday-afternoon oil pickup pipe in the shortened sump on my kit car - took me 3 months to finally work it out.

It's not really about being miserly (which I am) but I'm just lazy - I'd much rather go on a drive than work on the car or, god forbid, wash it 🙂 

Note to oneself, stay away from Nelmo’s cars! 🤔 😀

• Haha 1

On a serious note, engines are very robust. Many years ago I borrowed a 4.2 jaguar XJ6 from one of the guys who worked for me. I commented on how smooth and beautifully it drove. He proudly told me that he had it from new and it had never been serviced! it was an eight year old car.

it was an eight year old car.

Not saying that is the right thing to do but it’s surprising how long an engine will last with minimal care. 

• Like 1

Very true - manufacturing tolerances are amazing these days - when did you last see an F1 car retire with an engine failure? Back in the 80s and 90s when I was more interested in F1, it was a common occurrence.

Nowadays, the biggest issue is simply age and corrosion, as we've probably all experienced.

Back in my Alfa days (warm glow) we used to say they sold you the engine and threw the rest in for free so you couldn't really complain. Problem is that's true with an older Boxster - a proper engine rebuild probably exceeds the value of the car in a lot of cases. People do it but tbh it probably makes sense to just buy a slightly better newer car. And there's always plenty of those.

3 hours ago, phazed said:

On a serious note, engines are very robust. Many years ago I borrowed a 4.2 jaguar XJ6 from one of the guys who worked for me. I commented on how smooth and beautifully it drove. He proudly told me that he had it from new and it had never been serviced! it was an eight year old car.

it was an eight year old car.

Not saying that is the right thing to do but it’s surprising how long an engine will last with minimal care. 

To be geeky for a moment, the majority of failures in mechanical systems occur following maintenance or due to maintenance errors rather than overdue maintenance. Adds credence to the saying, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Aluminium flakes from the M96/97 engine  casting . Not one of Porsches best designs and castings .

Perfectly normal for the genre .Forget about it .

Pistons rattle  start to wobble at BDC of just before and scape .You can’t see it with a spark plug borescope because like most bore scoring of the M96/97 it’s below the rings at BDC under the piston out of sight .

Porsche club North American have a library of vids on this .

On 4/3/2024 at 7:38 PM, 832ark said:

I changed the oil only 2.5k ago and nothing came out that time.

Think I have a plan, wait for the oil analysis results. Depending on what they are I’ll do 50 gentle miles and pull the oil filter. If that’s clear I’ll do some more miles then drop the sump. Obv if the analysis is bad news then maybe straight onto the rebuild, will take some advice in that instance.

Also send the filter to be analyzed, filter tells lots.

The fault with your procedure is that oil that you send to be analyzed has to be warm and mid flow, the microscopic metal particles float in the oil and the larger should be caught by the filter. If you won't follow this procedure the results has a good chance to be incorrect.

Ben 

Oil sample sent off today so we’ll see what happens. Played about with more of the flakes today, it’s such a strange material, so thin and fragile that it’s virtually impossible to pick a piece up without it disintegrating, you have to try multiple pieces to get one on your finger. 

It’s almost like a flake of limescale from the kettle but much more fragile.

Well guys, I think I’ve got to the bottom of the mystery flakes. That probably explains why I couldn’t find anything in the oil filter 🤣. Will wait for the oil analysis to come back first though. 

IMG_1121.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BBB said:

What a muppet!!! Still, the best possible outcome if you’re correct. 😂

I don’t get it.

Between paying for a total engine rebuild at half the value of the car, and looking like a muppet to a few guys online, I'd very happily choose to play the music and light the lights.

Hope it works that way for you.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 832ark said:

Well guys, I think I’ve got to the bottom of the mystery flakes. That probably explains why I couldn’t find anything in the oil filter 🤣. Will wait for the oil analysis to come back first though. 

IMG_1121.jpeg

That's a result if that's the source