To grill or not to grill?

carl s

I've always been against radiator grills as on my MX5 they increased engine temps, but having just forked out for a replacement pair of condensers (a year after the dealer I bought the car from had just replaced them) with what looked like two leaks from the o/s condenser. I'm considering fitting a set to the Cayman.

What is the general concensus? does it increase temps? if not the DIY route looks quite easy or is it Zunnsport all the way?

Thanks in advance

Edited by carl s

I would go with the diy option, pretty straightforward to do and they look more subtle than the Zunsports and also a lot cheaper.

I was lucky and did mine why the air conditioning guy had my bumper off replacing the condensers.

I ve had 4 Boxsters 3 with grills and never had any temperature issues 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I get that on a MX5 slow enough already why would you want to add more weight!!!😂😂😂

Perhaps on a normal car, but mine was a Rocketeer...

12 hours ago, carl s said:

I've always been against radiator grills as on my MX5 they increased engine temps, but having just forked out for a replacement pair of condensers (a year after the dealer I bought the car from had just replaced them) with what looked like two leaks from the o/s condenser. I'm considering fitting a set to the Cayman.

What is the general concensus? does it increase temps? if not the DIY route looks quite easy or is it Zunnsport all the way?

Thanks in advance

I've driven through Spain in excess of 42+ temps with no impact on having grills fitted.  Car temps, oil and water all normal.  Why wouldn't you fir them or perhaps you like having new shiny rads every 1-2 years?😉😉

13 hours ago, carl s said:

What is the general concensus? does it increase temps?

Never heard any evidence of that in 15 years here, and plenty of recommendations saying to get grills to prolong the life of your condensors or even rads.

I've driven in over 40C around Lisbon with Zunsport grilles, and no sign of overheating. 

I'd get them fitted.

Zunsports are the easy option - made to fit, simple to attach - DIY route is a lot cheaper but requires more time and effort so depends if you fancy the job or not?

Worth getting for the looks alone IMHO. I think they finish the car off nicely, regardless of any practical benefits:

20210701_154146

Oh, and don't forget the side intakes, obviously:

20210701_154322

👍

• Like 4

Zunsport on my previous 987 and current 981 and never had any issues, side intakes as well for me on the 981.

Cheers

Kevin

Completely differently to Davey P above i dont like the look at all and much prefer the oem look without them. We all like different things though and theres nothing wrong with that.

How close are you driving to other cars?

My (what looked to be the original) 92,000 mile condensers were still working apart from the corrosion from the salt when the previous owner ran the car through winter. That was the only reason i replaced them.  

Not a fan of the side ones, look a bit ‘Halfords’ and not sure they’re protecting anything apart from Zunsports profits. Mind you, that’s a Cayman so the owner’s taste is already suspect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Not a fan of the side ones, look a bit ‘Halfords’ and not sure they’re protecting anything apart from Zunsports profits. Mind you, that’s a Cayman so the owner’s taste is already suspect.

😂😂

I do prefer the clean factory but having replaced two sets of condensors I decided I needed to use some sort of grill and the diy version is a lot more subtle.

2024-04-03 11:28:48

As for the sides on the 981 you would be surprised how many leaves get hoovered up and stuck in there.

31 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

😂😂

I do prefer the clean factory but having replaced two sets of condensors I decided I needed to use some sort of grill and the diy version is a lot more subtle.

2024-04-03 11:28:48

As for the sides on the 981 you would be surprised how many leaves get hoovered up and stuck in there.

Where did you get the mesh from? Seeing a lot of variation in mesh size. Any good YouTube guides?

I can find the size out for you, I bought it off Amazon. Some of the mesh has very small holes so not suitable and yes there are some decent YouTube videos. The one I watched was an American guy with a white 981, I know that narrows it down for you 😂 but he shows you how to make the template etc. He did it with the bumper in place and I started off like that but when the air con guy took the bumper off it was a lot easier 👍

5 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I can find the size out for you, I bought it off Amazon. Some of the mesh has very small holes so not suitable and yes there are some decent YouTube videos. The one I watched was an American guy with a white 981, I know that narrows it down for you 😂 but he shows you how to make the template etc. He did it with the bumper in place and I started off like that but when the air con guy took the bumper off it was a lot easier 👍

Great, I did wonder about the smaller 3*6mm mesh being a bit restrictive. I watched his video last night, quite entertaining. Did you do them from the front as well? Wondering if it’s easier with the bumper off when I hoover out all the gubbins and check the condenser condition.

6 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Great, I did wonder about the smaller 3*6mm mesh being a bit restrictive. I watched his video last night, quite entertaining. Did you do them from the front as well? Wondering if it’s easier with the bumper off when I hoover out all the gubbins and check the condenser condition.

Yes I'm struggling to find some mesh with the right size holes, I have some in the garage that has about 10x5mm diamond holes but that looks a lot smaller than the size used by people like Zunnsport

8 hours ago, Nobbie said:

18 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Mine is 5mm high and 15mm wide diamond pattern, those figures are rough as I’ve just measured it on the car for you.😎👍

I agree got Halfrauds all over them🤮

Just did mine at the weekend, DIY as I wouldn’t have those Zunsports on even if they were free 🫣

I prefer the look without anything at all if I’m honest though.

IMG_2523_Original.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a few weeks of intense rain, the sun is out in Lisbon, it’s 20c plus, my garden is looking tidy, and this thread title makes my mouth water.

Fire up the Weber…

12 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I used Halfords mesh on the 987 but have Zunsports on the 981 (full front and rear kit but not side intakes)

2014_11_02-zunsport-1.jpg

before

2014_11_02-zunsport-5.jpg

2014_11_02-zunsport-12.jpg

after

2014_11_02-zunsport-14.jpg

2014_11_02-zunsport-9.jpg

How does the centre grill attach? Do you need to screw through the plastic?

20 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Same here, the ones on the side intakes don't look right IMO.  My car had the zunsports at the front on when I purchased which on a black car probably stand out less.  Has anyone had issues with debris in side intakes?  Not heard of anything on here about that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bbob1 said:

How does the centre grill attach? Do you need to screw through the plastic?

Yes two self tappers, you can see the position on the grill sat on my sideboard

Not evident when on the car though 

• Like 1