Help with window regulator replacement

robert997

21 minutes ago, fizz said:

Great thread. Went to wash my car today and the window got stuck halfway down whilst the regulator continued to the bottom. Lol.

Heard a grinding as it was happening.  What's the chances that the window has just come loose and just needs to be reseated into the regulator? (Wishful thinking)

Next question has already been answered. Get genuine porsche regulator will be bought. So the design 911 OE match with 2 years warranty is a no no? 

Also when yours went, did you have a churning sound? Hoping it's not the motor that's gone as opposed to the regulator. 

Genuine and don't forget to rivet the stop in :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fizz said:

Great thread. Went to wash my car today and the window got stuck halfway down whilst the regulator continued to the bottom. Lol.

Heard a grinding as it was happening.  What's the chances that the window has just come loose and just needs to be reseated into the regulator? (Wishful thinking)

Next question has already been answered. Get genuine porsche regulator will be bought. So the design 911 OE match with 2 years warranty is a no no? 

Also when yours went, did you have a churning sound? Hoping it's not the motor that's gone as opposed to the regulator. 

The motor is very powerful. I found out first hand tinkering with the door latch. I nudged the lock and it triggered the window to close on lock. I couldn't get my hand out easily because the space I was assuming shrunk. So knowing the torque of the motor I'd assume the regulator is falling apart and the motor will continue grinding it into oblivion. There is less to break in a motor. The regulator is open to the elements, water and any crud which finds its way past the window seals.

20221201-121738.jpg

It’s not a tricky job, I am not great with spanner’s and I have done it 4 times now.

watch a few “how to” videos and make sure you mark the positioning of the window in the fitment with tape or a marker before removal 

2 minutes ago, ATM said:

The motor is very powerful. I found out first hand tinkering with the door latch. I nudged the lock and it triggered the window to close on lock. I couldn't get my hand out easily because the space I was assuming shrunk. So knowing the torque of the motor I'd assume the regulator is falling apart and the motor will continue grinding it into oblivion. There is less to break in a motor. The regulator is open to the elements, water and any crud which finds its way past the window seals.

20221201-121738.jpg

Ochie... good job it didn't hit one of those veins. 

Wonder how long porsche would take to get the part. Just rang them and left a message for them to ring me back as they close at 12:30pm on a sat. 

Just now, fizz said:

Ochie... good job it didn't hit one of those veins. 

Wonder how long porsche would take to get the part. Just rang them and left a message for them to ring me back as they close at 12:30pm on a sat. 

I got mine from euro car parts website. They have several and show the brands.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

It’s not a tricky job, I am not great with spanner’s and I have done it 4 times now.

watch a few “how to” videos and make sure you mark the positioning of the window in the fitment with tape or a marker before removal 

I've had it open in the past to adjust the height as it never sat flush with the top and was letting in water. Having read about that rivet I'm now wondering if that's why... got the same issue on drivers side too. Never sit quite high enough. 

In addition to that I need to buy door switches too as both them need replacing aswell. 

4 minutes ago, ATM said:

I got mine from euro car parts website. They have several and show the brands.

Aye I had a look there and the original part number item has been replaced with a newer item. 

Passenger side window regulator  new part number is 99654207505

Old part number it replaces is 99654207504.

Edited by fizz

16 minutes ago, fizz said:

Aye I had a look there and the original part number item has been replaced with a newer item. 

Passenger side window regulator  new part number is 99654207505

Old part number it replaces is 99654207504.

Usually the last 2 digits are version number. It is not necessarily relevant as all versions should be interchangeable. Sometimes a new version can be exactly the same but a change of supplier. Sometimes it can be an improvement or update. So either version should be fine but newer or higher may be better.

9 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

So will be less than that from an OPC.

To chip in on this, you can pick up genuine salvages ones for less than a quarter of this price, which is what I did, then carefully lubricate the wires etc before installation and it is still fine about 4 years later, [edit: actually 5 years next week] leaving £200+ for doing the other side if required or redoing the side that failed and then some.  Yes it is a faff, but a salvage one coming form a 986 will have the stop rivet correctly fitted which is one less job.  Perhaps I just got lucky and as I do most of the work on the car DIY, doing it again in future is part of the hobby of owning a 986.  If you are paying, I'd go with @TROOPER88, do it once, do it right.  Depends on you operating budget and spannering skills/patience. 

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to thank you all for your help with this. My Amazon rivet gun arrived yesterday (!) so this afternoon I was able to undo the door, remove the regulator, rivet the limit stop and refit it all. And it’s working perfectly for the first time since I bought the car!!

IMG_0052.jpeg.aed6f0fb9e4bfccc9a9a8c1f44aff980.jpeg

That butyl tape is great - i found the part number and discovered the ‘genuine Porsche’ version on eBay for £42 which looks identical to the amazon one.  The regulator from the OPC was £168.30 plus vat, or just under £202 with 10% discount - they wouldn’t stretch to 15% as my ‘Porsche Classic’ membership has yet to come through !

With such great advice you’ve saved me a fortune and I’ve learnt a great deal. I’ve also fixed my wobbly headlamp with a new tray, which was literally a 5 minute job, so have been able to address two inherent faults from purchase last year. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, robert997 said:

Just wanted to thank you all for your help with this. My Amazon rivet gun arrived yesterday (!) so this afternoon I was able to undo the door, remove the regulator, rivet the limit stop and refit it all. And it’s working perfectly for the first time since I bought the car!!

IMG_0052.jpeg.aed6f0fb9e4bfccc9a9a8c1f44aff980.jpeg

That butyl tape is great - i found the part number and discovered the ‘genuine Porsche’ version on eBay for £42 which looks identical to the amazon one.  The regulator from the OPC was £168.30 plus vat, or just under £202 with 10% discount - they wouldn’t stretch to 15% as my ‘Porsche Classic’ membership has yet to come through !

With such great advice you’ve saved me a fortune and I’ve learnt a great deal. I’ve also fixed my wobbly headlamp with a new tray, which was literally a 5 minute job, so have been able to address two inherent faults from purchase last year. 

Excellent news and nice work! £202 from opc is decent... 👌

Happy to see you are now sorted too! I thunk I'm going to get the microswitch fixed at the same time. 

So will need to buy that too. 

Just ordered the following and decided to go used oem route and take a punt.

oaqUO07.jpeg

Got my door lock module for the same side too so will get it all done at the same time.