Coding cruise control.

paulguitar

3 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

I have a quote in writing. It’s £410 for the part plus the labour. They won’t use the part I have. 

waiting for 9Apart to get back to me, they think they may be able to get a code for the part they supplied. 

as per the post re tequilment price.  This is what test advertise.  If it was me I would be trying to understand the gap. 

https://tequipment-finder.porsche.com/uk/981/Cayman/&ac=product&pr=73653DE8A74AA20DC12579810049EF0D

52 minutes ago, Paul P said:

as per the post re tequilment price.  This is what test advertise.  If it was me I would be trying to understand the gap. 

https://tequipment-finder.porsche.com/uk/981/Cayman/&ac=product&pr=73653DE8A74AA20DC12579810049EF0D

This is what I had on this from Porsche:

'Please see attached quote for parts the Price of £327 is for the basic module with the basic spec of vehicle.

Yours is listing as having the option of headlamp washers (meaning the part is not the basic module.)   

This would take the same time to fit and code as the 987, 1.5hrs.

Unfortunately the 981 will not fall under the same Classic category as the 987 and the labour will be £246.00 inc vat (per hour)

So you will be looking at a labour cost of £369.00 plus the cost of the parts £410.26,

Giving a total fitted and coded price of  £779.26.'

1 hour ago, paulguitar said:

I think he’s basically done everything bar inputting the activation code.

Sounds positive then. Fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, paulguitar said:

waiting for 9Apart to get back to me, they think they may be able to get a code for the part they supplied.

The code has nothing to do with the physical part. It is based purely on the VIN. 

When you buy the kit from Porsche, it comes with a voucher code.  The voucher code is entered into the Porsche system, along with the VIN, and it outputs the activation code. It also records the code on their records of the build data of your car on their system.

The Russian supplied codes are generated by a key generator which uses the same algorithm as the Porsche system, but doesn't need the voucher, and obviously doesn't record the vehicle data with Porsche.  

Edited by Richard Hamilton

8 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Sounds positive then. Fingers crossed. 

The code has nothing to do with the physical part. It is based purely on the VIN. 

When you buy the kit from Porsche, it comes with a voucher code.  The voucher code is entered into the Porsche system, along with the VIN, and it outputs the activation code. It also records the code on their records of the build data of your car on their system.

The Russian supplied codes are generated by a key generator which uses the same algorithm as the Porsche system, but doesn't need the voucher, and obviously doesn't record the vehicle data with Porsche.  

Thanks for the info, Richard.

9Apart has enquired and is waiting to hear back from Germany, AAIU. So I think there is some hope there. Failing that, looks like it will be a case of trying the Russian method... 

10 hours ago, paulguitar said:

This is what I had on this from Porsche:

'Please see attached quote for parts the Price of £327 is for the basic module with the basic spec of vehicle.

Yours is listing as having the option of headlamp washers (meaning the part is not the basic module.)   

This would take the same time to fit and code as the 987, 1.5hrs.

Unfortunately the 981 will not fall under the same Classic category as the 987 and the labour will be £246.00 inc vat (per hour)

So you will be looking at a labour cost of £369.00 plus the cost of the parts £410.26,

Giving a total fitted and coded price of  £779.26.'

OK - I wonder what different having headlight washers make - surely that's just a part number for the stalks, - as Richard has previously noted there is 40 combinations of stalks in play, wonder what a different OPC would quote ( they aren't all the same but theres not always much choice) but somewhat moot I guess since that's not the route taken. 

Hope one of the code sources delivers for you.

• Like 1

Thought there was 40 combo's of stalks as per previous postings - but I don't know why "headlight washers" would make a big cost difference for labour or parts. 

Still - seems there is route to the parts at least for retro fit.

The cruise control stalk is integral to the stalk unit, and isn't detachable like it is in the 9x7.

There are 40 variants. 20 for MY2013 and earlier, and 20 for MY2014 and later.  (The difference is the main beam operation).  The options that affect which stalk unit is required are; headlamp washers, cruise control, adaptive cruise control, voice control, and multi-function steering wheel, giving 20 possible combinations for each MY range.  

All the stalk units used to be a similar price, but now they vary from about £200 to £400, depending on the options.

Another thing to bear in mind.  If you have a MY2013 Boxster or Cayman built in the Osnabruck plant there is a campaign to update the instrument cluster firmware before it can be coded for cruise.  (11th Digit of VIN "K" = Osnabruck).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, bally4563 said:

I’ve pushed the button on this one

To test it I entered the wrong VIN, they have come back to tell me VIN is incorrect, I’ve now sent the correct VIN

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

To test it I entered the wrong VIN, they have come back to tell me VIN is incorrect, I’ve now sent the correct VIN

I think I will be doing the same soon. When are you planning on getting it coded in? 

2 hours ago, paulguitar said:

I think I will be doing the same soon. When are you planning on getting it coded in? 

Not sure, need to get in touch with MLR and talk it through 

• Like 1

Regarding Richard’s point about the many different stalk options, I had CC retrofitted by my OPC on my 981 a few years ago.  Afterwards, the first time I drove the car at night, I realised the headlight high beam wasn't latching on when I pressed the stalk.  The OPC hadn't coded it correctly so had to re-do it.

• Like 1