Coding cruise control.

paulguitar

I've bought the stalk unit to retrofit cruise control on my new 981 Boxster S 2012. Just wondering if anyone here has the means to code it in? Porsche refuses to code a second-hand part. I'm based in the West Midlands. 

34 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

I've bought the stalk unit to retrofit cruise control on my new 981 Boxster S 2012. Just wondering if anyone here has the means to code it in? Porsche refuses to code a second-hand part. I'm based in the West Midlands. 

MLR in Stoke did my 987.2 a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

They will , I retro fitted mine , had it coded at a independent, however they could not make it work ,because it requires another code from Porsche to ignite it ( activation code ), contacted OPC Wilmslow who want £80 for doing it , so mine is fitted and loaded but not activated yet , as I have yet got round to doing it

On 4/10/2024 at 9:17 PM, bally4563 said:

They will , I retro fitted mine , had it coded at a independent, however they could not make it work ,because it requires another code from Porsche to ignite it ( activation code ), contacted OPC Wilmslow who want £80 for doing it , so mine is fitted and loaded but not activated yet , as I have yet got round to doing it

Had my used CC stalks fitted yesterday at an indy. He was unable to code it. I am trying to get this sorted out today, but the latest is that to get the required activation code, I have to buy the part new from Porsche at £400...I will update. 

5 hours ago, paulguitar said:

Had my used CC stalks fitted yesterday at an indy. He was unable to code it. I am trying to get this sorted out today, but the latest is that to get the required activation code, I have to buy the part new from Porsche at £400...I will update. 

I got mine coded for free as they could not activate OPC Wilmslow want £80 to activate it

22 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I got mine coded for free as they could not activate OPC Wilmslow want £80 to activate it

I spoke with Wilmslow today and they don't think they can do it.

20 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

I spoke with Wilmslow today and they don't think they can do it.

I spoke with the Service manager about 2 months ago and that’s what he quoted me?!!

6 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I spoke with the Service manager about 2 months ago and that’s what he quoted me?!!

I think things have changed. It seems they will no longer give out an activation code unless the part has been supplied by an OPC.

1 hour ago, boxtastic said:

I have seen this source for Porsche codes quoted before, but have no experience of using it myself:-

https://www.code-porsche.com/

Good luck

He charges about £100 for the code as far as I remember - I know folks who have bought 987.2 PCM Map codes from him,  given he's ( I think ) is based in Russia - then perhaps he's still actually in business perhaps not , and (reaching for my tinfoil to make a new hat) - sending bank transfers to dodgy people in russia might be a bad idea right now... pays your money, takes your chances, looks out for the black helicopters.

With reference to OP - would have thought indy would have known about the activation code requirement before hand - it shouldn't come as a surprise. 

Just now, Paul P said:

He charges about £100 for the code as far as I remember - I know folks who have bought 987.2 PCM Map codes from him,  given he's ( I think ) is based in Russia - then perhaps he's still actually in business perhaps not , and (reaching for my tinfoil to make a new hat) - sending bank transfers to dodgy people in russia might be a bad idea right now... pays your money, takes your chances, looks out for the black helicopters.

With reference to OP - would have thought indy would have known about the activation code requirement before hand - it shouldn't come as a surprise. 

The indy has coded many cars successfully before, but it seems Porsche is implementing this change from the 981 onwards. He's fitted and coded the hardware to my car, but it seems there is no way of getting the activation code from Porsche. If that website works, I'd be tempted. I'd feel better having heard from someone who has used it without issues if there is anyone around here who has.

1 minute ago, paulguitar said:

The indy has coded many cars successfully before, but it seems Porsche is implementing this change from the 981 onwards. He's fitted and coded the hardware to my car, but it seems there is no way of getting the activation code from Porsche. If that website works, I'd be tempted. I'd feel better having heard from someone who has used it without issues if there is anyone around here who has.

Which Indy coded it ?

3 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

Yup - but its not a new thing that the 981 onwards needs an activation code - that's what I mean - it shouldn't be a surprise to an indy - it's been fact since they rolled off the production line in 2012. The fact that a "back door" operation is in play means that you can't simply ask an OPC nicely.

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

Yup - but its not a new thing that the 981 onwards needs an activation code - that's what I mean - it shouldn't be a surprise to an indy - it's been fact since they rolled off the production line in 2012. The fact that a "back door" operation is in play means that you can't simply ask an OPC nicely.

Something seems to have changed. The indy was genuinely surprised by it. 

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I bet the code is a one time/use only 

Just now, bally4563 said:

I bet the code is a one time/use only 

It's a code that is generated by the Porsche backend system - you feed it the "product code" ( whatever the "seed value" is for Cruise Control) and the target Vehicle VIN - it spits out a "key" that works for that product on that car - exactly the same principal as the map updates - thats why the 3rd party map update providers send the maps on a USB stick - they ask for the vin beforehand and craft a self extracting update tool onto the USB - so you don't need PIWIS in that case - that only works for the PCM (since thats a computer in its own right) - things like Cruise need PIWIS.... They started to do it on the 987.2 - retrofitted Sports Chronos is 800 quid - 80 quid for th switch 720 quid for the code...... - and they generate the key from the product code and the vin The 3rd party providers have manged to crack the "maths" required for 981 cruise by the looks - interestingly - they never cracked it for 987.2 chronos..... 

5 minutes ago, iborguk said:

The code will be tied to the vin and will be usable/reusable only on that vin.

I guessed as much

7 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

Something seems to have changed. The indy was genuinely surprised by it. 

Hmm.... it's been well known for a while - here's a BoXa post from 2017 discussing it - I don't know how they would have done it successfully without

My current situation is that I now have a cruise control unit fitted into my car which is a brick. I need to spend £400 with Porsche to get the same unit from them to get a code. So I am very tempted by that code site if it is going to work. I have messaged them and asked if they have some reviews I can read...

1 minute ago, paulguitar said:

My current situation is that I now have a cruise control unit fitted into my car which is a brick. I need to spend £400 with Porsche to get the same unit from them to get a code. So I am very tempted by that code site if it is going to work. I have messaged them and asked if they have some reviews I can read...

I’ve just gone to the code site, and requested see what they come back with

7 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

Me too.

Be interesting to see if they come back and if so what MLR would want to fire up there PIWIS