Tyres

scorpio63

Goodyear Asymmetric 6.  Review as well as Michelin and cost around 10% less.  I have them in 18" on the rear of mine.

If you want a bit more budget or they are likely to be old before worn out if you do lower mileages, try Kumho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

I bought Michelin Pilot Sports 4. Always served me well. Great in the wet and not bad when it comes to durability.

+1 I never want economy on tyres.

3 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I bought Michelin Pilot Sports 4. Always served me well. Great in the wet and not bad when it comes to durability.

2 hours ago, McDonald said:

+1 I never want economy on tyres.

+2

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience with P Zero and PS4? I've only had P Zeros and love them, degraded performance in cold/wet notwithstanding. Do people who've had both prefer the PS4? 

16 hours ago, BS62 said:

Does anyone have experience with P Zero and PS4? I've only had P Zeros and love them, degraded performance in cold/wet notwithstanding. Do people who've had both prefer the PS4? 

When I bought the car it had a set of P Zero on it. Not really a fair comparison as they were old and rock hard. Felt like driving on wood. Changed for a set of PS4 and have stuck with them ever since. I changed the rears last year and will probably change the fronts this year. Pretty happy with PS4.

I have 2 sets of wheels one set with Michelin pilot sport N3’s and the other set with Goodyear Asymmetric’s and dare I say it for comfortable road use I prefer the Goodyears and there cheaper ! 
Sorry to upset the N3 crowd! 

On 4/21/2024 at 12:29 PM, scorpio63 said:

Can I have some suggestions for replacement rear tyres on my 986 please..

While we all have our opinions about the nuances of different tyre brands, and N ratings etc, remember that various test results will probably be barely relevant on 80 000+ mile suspension components :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

While we all have our opinions about the nuances of different tyre brands, and N ratings etc, remember that various test results will probably be barely relevant on 80 000+ mile suspension components :) 

or even a car that is out on geometry.

On 4/24/2024 at 10:44 AM, RedBarediver said:

When I bought the car it had a set of P Zero on it. Not really a fair comparison as they were old and rock hard. Felt like driving on wood. Changed for a set of PS4 and have stuck with them ever since. I changed the rears last year and will probably change the fronts this year. Pretty happy with PS4.

It interesting, I hear this a lot and agree that old P Zeros are garbage. Mine also came with old fronts and new ones were magnitudes better.
But I haven't spoken to anyone who has done a new for new comparison, interested in hearing if anyone has that experience too. 

9 hours ago, BS62 said:

It interesting, I hear this a lot and agree that old P Zeros are garbage. Mine also came with old fronts and new ones were magnitudes better.
But I haven't spoken to anyone who has done a new for new comparison, interested in hearing if anyone has that experience too. 

2nd that. My car came with old P zeros that looked perfect. But, we’re a handling fiasco. Especially when the temps dropped. Kept well clear of them after that. As said, might be great new. 😬

For most Boxsters performance on older tyres should be considered as age is as significant a factor as wear if you're doing 4k miles or less per annum and aren't ragging it everywhere.

17 hours ago, BS62 said:

Various tyre tests available on the web, all will be new for new comparisons. Here you get what they won’t give you; what are they like after 3 years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Various tyre tests available on the web, all will be new for new comparisons. Here you get what they won’t give you; what are they like after 3 years. 

Michelin Primacy4 claims to perform fairly linearly (+ variant  even more so) throughout its useful life, no reason not to assume this technology won't filter down to the rest of the range.

https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/michelin/primacy-4

IMO Michelin PS4s are hard to beat for all round road driving in a 986, in the grand scheme of things they aren't expensive. There is so much rubber at the rear that it only really be comes relevant in the wet and you can probably get away with almost anything in the dry, the PS4s are very good in the wet. I used to prefer the F1 asymmetrics on the rear of my TVR, more progressive on the limit in the dry but not really relevant in a 986. I personally would prefer a square setup for a 986, I think PS4s on the front and ditch finders on the rear would be fun... until it all went wrong.

I can concur that old PZeros are dreadful, but I imagine they are probably pretty good when new... avoid Toyo proxes, you can feel the sidewall flex when close to the limit, then when you hit the limit of flex they let go in a weirdly predictably unpredictalle kind of way... kind of amusing in a way, but not something you would choose.