No fault bump advice

Hi Guys

I would appreciate some advice please!

I stopped to drop off my daughter tonight at her Brownies, and woman reversed her people carrier out of a parking space and hit the rear door and wing of my 5 series.

She admitted she did not look and that it was her fault.

We exchanged details, and I asked if she would do the repair though her insurance or just pay for the repair - as I said that as long as it was done properly, I did not mind.

Anyway, I get a call from her insurer tonight when I was out, obviously looking to start the claim rolling.

I called the woman and asked her if she did indeed want to do a claim rather than settle on her own, and she was undecided. I tried to explain the consequences for future insurance costs and she said she was happy for me to get a quote and settle.

Now - should I just do this through the insurer?

My fear is that they will push for 50/50 which is of course cr*p as I was parked and she clearly did not look when reversing and even admitted it.

Plus - my own insurance is due for renewal next month, so I guess even for a no fault, the premium will rise significantly.

Should I get a quote myself and settle with her or, the fact that she will already have given my car reg and details to an insurer, mean that its now recorded and regardless of settlement, there is now a record against me? - I suspect that is how it will work.

Should I just call her insurer or call mine and leave it to them to deal?

Any advice most welcome.

David

If you can settle to your satisfaction this would be my suggestion. I have been charged £60 x 4 policies for a non fault incident this year alone. They stay on your history for 3 years. That's a lot of money when you have done nothing wrong. Get a quote, and send her the details. Try to keep them in writing, email is good as you can disguise it as convenient correspondence. Then if it all goes t*ts up you have something down on paper.

My 2p worth.

Thanks for the reply Ian that was my feeling too... just get it sorted.

But I guess as she has spoken to her insurer already, I am already "on the system" as having an accident, regardless or who was at fault.

At least it was the BM not the Box!

David

She has clearly decided which way to go by passing the details on to her insurers, From your perspective you will need to confirm if your insurrer will increase your premium because of this no blame claim, if they do then you need to know how much and for how many years the premium hike be in place for, Then, add the total cost of these excesses together and claim via your legal cover for these in addition to costs of repair/hire car etc.

You shouldnt be out of pocket a single penny for actions of others - her negligence caused the impact and if your insurrer wont recover these costs take her to the small claims court.

I've been through the "SURELY I CAN CLAIM BACK MY LOSSES" no avail. It's not a claim, non fault incident is how they term it.

Then they rob you in broad daylight. Apparently you are statistically more likely to have a blaim worthy incident in the future. What a load of bull. Another money making scam by the insurers.

I would get a quote pronto and send it to her. If she decides to use her insurance send the quote direct to them and try not to get your insurance involved at all as they will just collude together to stitch you both up. Easier said than done but it's what I would try to do in your situation.

it's too late. you will be in the system. this happened to me, cost a fortune. some n0b crashed into me on the M6 in a stationary traffic jam because he wasn't paying attention. little scratches, bent exhaust, no harm done. the tool then called his insurance company.....

i had my renewal a week or so later, called them up and hey presto, 50 quid increase non-fault premium. so i called him back and took it through the insurance after all. got a grand which was way over the top, however it helped pay the 3 years jump in premiums on 5 cars and 3 bikes.

my advice is now that she's done this, unless she's going to stump up for a 'proper' fix, do it through insurance. you may as well have a properly fixed car and get shafted, rather than just shafted.

i still to this day have no idea why one gets penalised for being hit by soemone else when there is clear and definitive blame on one party. perhaps our insurance sponsors can explain it. i was told i was 'higher risk'.....how that works is beyond me.

Insurance must be run by MPs as there is little logic apart from shafting people and finding clauses to get around paying out.

The latest scam from them is that they are moving into legal services - this is because the government (from April 1st) banned road traffic accident personal injury referral fees - a nice little earner for the companies selling customer accident details to the ambulance chasing solicitors.

By taking over legal firms / absorbing them or teaming up with a company they can share those details "within" their own company - and this little dodge gets them around the new laws.

Admiral made £18.6m in 2012 simply by selling those details, Admiral have teamed up with Lyons Davidson.

Ageas UK are the forth biggest motor insurrer in the UK and they are set to team up with Cardiff firm "Newlaw"

It seems most insurrers will do the same.

The insurance companies are making a fortune - they sell details of accidents to the law firms who in turn sue the "other" insurrance company and as all of them are doing this it just means work for solicitors, insurrance companies exchanging funds (what goes around comes around) and overall they make more money at the expence of their customers - who all have higher premiums as a result.

In house legal services will not change anything from a customers perspective but it gets around the new laws and will be more profitable.

As customers we should have the right to refuse permission for the companies to share our details even within the same company.

Ok, I'm screwed already then, just as I thought...

Her insurer have started to call me - not taken a call yet but will tonight.

Should I call my insurer and let them deal? Given that its her fault I don't see why my insurer needs to be involved.

When I cal her insurer, do I need to give them my insurers details as I am sure they will ask?

Given she has twice admitted it was her fault - there will hopefully be no debate.... However I can just see that coming now to...

I've been through the "SURELY I CAN CLAIM BACK MY LOSSES" no avail. It's not a claim, non fault incident is how they term it.

Then they rob you in broad daylight. Apparently you are statistically more likely to have a blaim worthy incident in the future. What a load of bull. Another money making scam by the insurers.

Yep - any excuse to increase the premium & even though not your fault you will still get shafted....

Hmmmm.............Are you sure your neck doesn't hurt this morning ? :whistle1:

Great advice, well done! It's through this attitude that everyone gets shafted as above....

Morning,

Sorry just seem this post. The blame would always fall on the reversing party as per the highway code. Unless your were both reversing, I would be very surprised if this claim would be settled 50/50. I have never seem a claims in the last 10 years that I have dealt with where the blame is always on the reversing party.

It is true that if you have reported the accident already it will be logged. If you do settle private, you can call your insurers and advise that you have settled privately and advise them to mark the claim "for information only" depending on the insurer, some may remove altogether and some will leave on for information. It is also true that some insurers will still load your next year renew and some it will not affect the rate as they did not pay out any money - which should be the case. If you premiums are effected by the event, it tends to be the "cheaper" internet companies that take advantage...This is how they make up the money for the "Cheap" price in the first instance.

If you would like to talk anything through, please call me on 01908 271771.

Thanks

Steve

I've had two non fault claims on two seperate cars, unfortunate. First one I did through the 3rd pay insurance and informed my insurance (Direct Line at the time), second one I did through my insurance with them claiming from 3rd party (again Direct Line). I must say I preferred doing through my own insurance, that's just because they were the better insurer IMO. Any problems (of which I had about 3-4) were sorted smoothly and swiftly being able to talk to my insurer rather than the 3rd party's, moreover I felt like the 3rd party would try to scrounge on costs of repair, whereas mine would do it right as they were getting their money back at the end of the day.

Neither of my non fault claims had any impact on my premium, I asked this a lot and in many different ways at the time, just to be sure. This was easy when I did renewal as my insurer already new of my claims etc... Was a little more difficult when I changed this year due to the new Boxster, however I did a quote with and one without my claims (to check price hike) and there was no difference in the premium (Admiral). I gave full details including costs of claims.

Also some companies seems to ask for 5yr history and some just 3yr.

In your case I would claim through own insurance.

Yep - any excuse to increase the premium & even though not your fault you will still get shafted....

H

mmmm.............Are you sure your neck doesn't hurt this morning ? :whistle1:

Great advice, well done! It's through this attitude that everyone gets shafted as above....
Exactly! So do a little shafting yourself.

. If you would like to talk anything through, please call me on 01908 271771. Thanks Steve

Hi Steve

Many thanks for the advice and view, that is very much appreciated.

Neither of my non fault claims had any impact on my premium, I asked this a lot and in many different ways at the time, just to be sure.

Also some companies seems to ask for 5yr history and some just 3yr.

Thats great to hear, I just hope I am in the same boat at renewal time, which is next month!

Given the attitude for claims for anything these days, I am so surprised that you cant claim against the causer of the of the incident for the increased policy costs that *most* seem to get after a no fault incident.

My existing insurance costs are so low - box, 530d and xc90 all insured for circa £630ish (inc business use on two of them) - cant see that deal staying!

David

• 5 weeks later...

Well.. a wee update.

I had the car repaired by the other party's insurance, and other than being without it for 20 days, its back - and thankfully its a good repair job.

I got my own insurance renewal in - which covers the box, an xc90 and a 5 series 530d...and its about £75 less than last year at £558 for all three vehicles!

Now...need to phone them and tell them about this no fault event and see if the increase it.....you just *know* they will.

David

Time for a dashcam methinks! At around £250, I think these make some sense. Too many kn0bs about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would have needed one with a 360deg view for this incident though me thinks ;)

Fingers crossed for Davey boy he comes out allright with the Insurance bods :thumbsup_still:

Archived