Has anyone else had this

DAH

Put my brother on my Boxster insurance today as a named driver ready for our trip to the Belgium GP and got a refund of £8.86. There is about 6 months left on my insurance. He is 1.5 years older than me, both mid and late 40's with a similar driving history. I am now thinking is it cheaper to add a second named driver to your insurance policy rather than just having your self. I am with more than.

For reasons only known to insurance companies it appears the premiums reduce when you put additional drivers on the policy - my view is more drivers = more chance of being on the road and more chance of an accident or claim.

I have my wife on the policy and the premium reduced, My wifes premium reduced when she put me on hers, My daughter (21) has both me and wife on the policy and it reduced twice.

Try playing on a comparison site, surprising little changes alter the premium, My daughter has just left home and set up home with her boyfriend - On confused.com just by including "homeowner" and "Living with partner" dropped her premium by another £60.

Perhaps if we all add everyone on the forum to our policies we will all get paid by the companies to insure with them. :thumbsup_still:

I've had this too on my daughters insurance. It dropped substaintially when I added myself and even further when we added Mrs AB.

Explanation is they average out the risk over the named drivers. Your Bro. is viewed by your insurers as a lower risk than you and they have averaged things out.

This is a benefit I expect they will wise up to in the fullness of time.

Yes. I always test with adding my dad and leaving him off as secondary driver. Sometimes it increased but most of the time it reduced. Currently he is asses on and it saved about 10-15% IIRC.

I believe for the same annual mileage two drivers would exhibit lower risk as the risk is for example for 50% annual milage per person. Depends on the insurers calculator system and weightings.

Had to take off the GF as it would of cost nearly another £1000 she had had 2 crashes in a year though!

For reasons only known to insurance companies it appears the premiums reduce when you put additional drivers on the policy - my view is more drivers = more chance of being on the road and more chance of an accident or claim.

I have my wife on the policy and the premium reduced, My wifes premium reduced when she put me on hers, My daughter (21) has both me and wife on the policy and it reduced twice.

Try playing on a comparison site, surprising little changes alter the premium, My daughter has just left home and set up home with her boyfriend - On confused.com just by including "homeowner" and "Living with partner" dropped her premium by another £60.

Perhaps if we all add everyone on the forum to our policies we will all get paid by the companies to insure with them. :thumbsup_still:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:withstupid:

Just a bunch of assumptions I think. Different companies make different assumptions, hence different 'calculators'. I don't know for sure I'm simply suggesting potential reasons. Maybe the forum's sponsor can offer some info?

------------------

But the named drivers never need to drive the car and the companies don't ask the ratio of the named drivers so don't see how they calculate risk.

• 5 weeks later...

Massive change in insurance cost if the insured is not listed as the registered keeper. Just transferred V5 on my wife's old car to my son (who's now borrowed the car and is driving on his own insurance) as the saving in his insurance cost was much bigger than adding one more previous owner will have when we come to sell it.

Archived