question-smartop relay

mrbikerdood

Im thinking of getting the smartop relay even though its £280,now my question is.... if you press the button-like once,does it open/close with out you keeping your finger on the buttton?

But with caveats

1. There is a setting that won't do it in one touch if the car is stationary.

2. Mine has trouble in winter of closing in one touch. Usually OK by spring time, but in cold weather it usually needs 3 'one touches'. Probably caused by sticking micro switch in the motor and not too bothered to try and fix it.

i have the instructions in a pdf I think so you can see all the configuration options

ok cool...thanks,i already bought a relay and did the hack but it now comes up with a light on the dash plus u do have to keep your finger on the button when driving so it's another toy to buy :) another bday pressie to my self....ive spent a tidy fortune this wk pmsl :):) 

Mine works  " one touch" on the move and one touch when stationary if you press and hold the opposite direction you want for a couple of seconds, then brief press in the direction you DO want.

I over-rode the safety when I first got it (as detailed in the link Gutley provided above) so mine is one touch stationary or on the move.  

If you need to stop it to put the roof into service mode, you give the button a quick press when it reaches the position you want.

Over on 986forum.com, someone has written a guide on how to do this with an Arduino board that you can pick up for around £20. It looks daunting, and I don't know much about electronics, but I did it and it worked first time,

I now have a roof that opens and closes one-touch, stops if touched again, and I can do it on the move without the need of a handbrake. All for £20.

Might be worth a punt?

Any links to this on how to and where to buy? :)

I managed to find a smartop relay on ebay for £180 :)

Should arrive Tues/wed :)

Thats a good price, those things tend not to go down in value.

I was lucky enough to get a 'Robotop' for £35, it has the one button function, but I would have to do the relay mod for the closing on the move bit.

On 23 June 2016 at 10:07 PM, mrbikerdood said:

Any links to this on how to and where to buy? :)

I've done that it must very easy if I can do it, it's in my running report. You also have to adapt the relay as well. I bought my board on eBay

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Loz987 said:

Could you do this with a raspberry Pi I wonder.... The one touch bit, I mean.....?

I just google image searched a Raspberry Pi and it looks massive compared to he relay. Where would you put it all?

Yes you could do it with a Pi - it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut but you could do it. The Arduino module is a much better solution.

Quite a few years ago now I designed a board with 2 relays and a flip flop circuit that would do the job but couldn't be bothered to polish it up and document it. A similar solution using a simple 555 timer would also work.

39 minutes ago, topradio said:

A similar solution using a simple 555 timer would also work.

FM! Are they still used?  I remember them from my apprenticeship nearly 35 years ago. :o

9 hours ago, topradio said:

Only us oldies know about them - I am an analogue guy in a digital world :P

Younger chaps in the electronic components game might be quite intrigued to know what you used to do with pcbs...? 

Archived