New 718 Lead times?

Toeside

Went to a local OPC dealer to discuss the purchase of a new 718. They gave me an indication that they may be able to deliver a spec'd car by November. I started to 'build' a boxster on line and easily ended up with 10K's worth of 'extra's' on the standard 2.0 turbo. That equates price wise to a decent spec'd second hand 3.4/6 cyl.

Starting to consider the benefits of buying a brand spanker and keep it as a long term car with no hidden history worries. However I am still not totally convinced on the 4 pot........ on paper you cannot doubt the performance figures though. Test drive needed.

I drove down in my 3.2 which I am very proud of but in comparison to the new Boxster's it looked like it was from a different era.

Up for discussion :huh:

I love the shape of the 987, I think it has the makings of a modern classic. But agree, that the 981/718 look ultra modern, and have a Ferrari California look about them. Big rear arches. They look great - however, I think the 981's rear lights will date the car. Can't put my finger on why, but the 718 has got the design spot on in my opinion. :)

As for the drive, I haven't driven the new stuff much (and not driven the 718 at all yet), but I can imagine that the NA engine will feel more Porsche than the turbo model. If you are keeping the car forever, then get a new one. But if you aren't, get one from the OPC with the like-new 2 year warranty, save a few quid, have the nicer engine and enjoy!

I am surprised that it's going to be November. If you are seriously looking for new then ring around, I suspect that you will find a dealer that has a build slot that he has to fill and you could find you have a car to your specification in 6 weeks or so. You should also find that the dealer is willing to chip in a good lump of that 10K to get your order especially as apparently cars have and houses have stopped selling since the 23rd of last month (yea right!) 

Thanks for the feed back guys all food for further investigation I think I will go fishing with some dealers.

There are a number of very well spec'd 981's with v low miles in some dealerships. Porsche approved (as you say) so that is an option also.:)

13 hours ago, topradio said:

I am surprised that it's going to be November. If you are seriously looking for new then ring around, I suspect that you will find a dealer that has a build slot that he has to fill and you could find you have a car to your specification in 6 weeks or so. You should also find that the dealer is willing to chip in a good lump of that 10K to get your order especially as apparently cars have and houses have stopped selling since the 23rd of last month (yea right!) 

lost track of how many people have asked me if interest rates/houses have gone up/down since then...

I am going to take a test drive on 718 tomorrow - am retired so go south for the winter months so considering ordering for Spring Delivery 2017 but do not know if that is possible?? Also concerned prices may increase with the drop in sterling.

Could you please give me feedback on a car with Yellow exterior, Brown Top and Expresso Brown leather interior with Mahogany trim??

Also thoughts on paying the premium for the S - will I ever get that much of a premium on resale?

Have not previously considered a new car but resale prices make it seem to make sense?

Also considering an older 987.2 - again welcome your opinions.

Never had a Porsche but figure as I am 70 - I had better get it ticked off my bucket list soon!

15 minutes ago, barryp said:

Could you please give me feedback on a car with Yellow exterior, Brown Top and Expresso Brown leather interior with Mahogany trim??

Also thoughts on paying the premium for the S - will I ever get that much of a premium on resale?

Normally I would say that, unless you are specifically not intending to keep a car for very long, that it's best to specify what YOU want and can justify to yourself, rather than worry too much about the resale value.

But...

Although I like yellow cars (my last was Speed Yellow), they are relatively uncommon and so they are not to everyone's taste.  That on its own is fine, and the demand and supply tend to balance each other out when you come to resell (I didn't have any difficulty selling mine). But I don't think I have ever seen a yellow one with a brown roof and interior, and personally I'm not at all sure how popular that would be. But I also don't recall ever seeing a Boxster, of any colour, with wooden trim on the interior. Please don't take this too personally, but to me that seems more suited to a 1970's Jag than a modern German masterpiece. (Of the premium interiors, I would expect 'modern' materials like carbon or aluminium to be more popular in a Porsche than mahogany.)

Conversely, by paying for the S, you are investing in something tangible - displacement and therefore performance - which (barring petrol going up to £25 a gallon!) should always be valued. You still won't get back the full extra amount you paid for it, but that's the effect depreciation has on all aspects of a car's value, and I think more of the 'S premium' will be retained in the resale value than any option like PSE, Bose etc that you might chose to add. So out of the various aspects of your proposed specification and their effects on resale values, it wouldn't be the S badge that I would be concerned about :whistle1:

Just my two penn'orth, others will disagree (all the BoXa.net members with half-timbered yellow & brown cars will now emerge feeling insulted!), and at the end of the day, it will be YOUR car not mine :) Have fun regardless, and enjoy it when you get it!

FWIW I drove a number of 718 and 718S on a "convoy" day out courtesy of OPC Silverstone. One of the 718S had mahogany wood trim and IMO it looked awful. I mentioned this to one of the accompanying OPC guys and he agreed, commenting he believed it had been ordered as a joke option that had misfired. Trust me, you do not want wood trim in a Boxster:angry:

718 Test drive booked Monday coming. We will see what its like................. I will be jumping straight from the 987 to the 718 afte a few days 'up north' :).

If I make the 'leap' I probably will try and sell privately. However walking into a Porsche dealership as a cash buyer doesn't offer you as much leverage as other marques. As barryp states the recent fall in the pound may skew the price of new cars from Europe.

We will see................  

Heading off up North :)

4 hours ago, Toeside said:

However walking into a Porsche dealership as a cash buyer doesn't offer you as much leverage as other marques.

Isn't it usually beneficial nowadays for car dealerships to sell cars on finance packages (with attendant profit margins of their own) rather than for cash?

Having said that, I get the impression, both from my own car purchase last autumn, and from more than one similar case I've heard of since, that there are still good deals to be had if you can find a dealership that is struggling to meet its monthly sales target (seems to be literally at the end of each calendar month), though it does probably mean taking a pre-built car rather than specifying your own.

Yes, they will want to sell anything that is going to increase their margin. But don't underestimate how keen they will be to fill a spare build allocation that they haven't been able to shift yet. It they can't get a punter to place a factory order, they will spec the car themselves for stock and may still have to offer a chunky discount to shift it anyway.

A member on here was told that there were no more GTS allocations available when he spoke to his local OPC. So he rang around and, guess what?, other dealers had build slots available.

I was in my OPC the other week and they were very keen indeed to get me into a 718, knowing I have had several Boxsters before. I got the impression there are a few unsold cars around. I was offered a loaner for a few days without any prompting too.

Have you considered a GTS? For me it's the best of the 981's and obviously the last normally aspirated one. I just thought it was a tarted up S until I borrowed one and then fell in love with it. I'm waiting for them to drop a bit as  they are still near enough selling for list price at a year old, but at £50k-ish I would find it a very hard car to resist.

718 test drove straight from a 987.1.

Took me a while to warm to it, but I did. Engine sound apart the handling and precision of the chassis is exceptional. The Turbo coupled with the PDK in Sport or Sport+ is very good and for overtaking is effortless.

I drove the 2.0L and the power was impressive. The 2.5 must be a weapon of mass wheel spin! They tried to flog me the demonstrator but it was missing some spec and they weren't negotiable on price.

Decision's to be made .................

If you want the mahogany dash then you need to select the "Corduroy Seats" option on the configurator. Unfortunately that deselects the Sports Chrono Clock and replaces it with the Porsche Carriage Clock which can obscure the view through the front windscreen. I wish Porsche would sort these issues out soon.

42 minutes ago, Willdairy said:

If you want the mahogany dash then you need to select the "Corduroy Seats" option on the configurator. Unfortunately that deselects the Sports Chrono Clock and replaces it with the Porsche Carriage Clock which can obscure the view through the front windscreen. I wish Porsche would sort these issues out soon.

It used to add a little stand for your pipe as well to the centre ashtray,  is that no longer the case?   Don't tell me they have removed the glove box divider for your beard comb as well? 

More delays on 718S. Mine was originally for delivery 23rd July and has been put back several times. Latest is 14th August. Last week it was 7th August aaaargh! Seems to be a component supply problem with the PCM Navigation. Anyone else getting slipping delivery times?

11 hours ago, Willdairy said:

:laugh:

Second test drive now arranged 2.0 + 2.5 but tbh the 2.0 is fast enough.........but you have to scratch....that itch!

Interested in the difference between different OEM dealers  approach :)

Archived