Carnewal exhaust from Gert on 981

np90

Considering a road trip to Belgium to see Gert. Anyone else made this trip? What was he like to deal with and would you recommend the journey from UK for a Carnewal system? 

Contenplating getting it shipped to London but when factoring in the cost of an inde to fit it, might be better off going to the man himself! 

This will be on a base 981 (2.7).

Thanks! 

NP

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a truely great review! Thanks for referring me back to it, and I hope I also get some nice rays should I take the plunge and go on the road trip! Does he supply and fit for the prices on his site? 

Ive emailed Gert so will wait anxiously for his reply and take it from there!

Thanks

No worries, a few on here have done the same & had similar experiences. 

I can't remember the fitting prices, but Gert is good over email & will let you know upfront what you are looking at.

It's a brilliant mod.

Thanks Andy. Gert's already got back to me and I've started looking at ferry costs and routes from London.. That escalated quickly! 

Now as many YouTube videos as there are, is there anyone in London or Hertfordshire with a 981 with a Carnewal gt exhaust? 

I would love to meet, buy you a beer or coffee and hear yours before I commit to this road trip.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, np90 said:

Thanks Andy. Gert's already got back to me and I've started looking at ferry costs and routes from London.. That escalated quickly! 

Now as many YouTube videos as there are, is there anyone in London or Hertfordshire with a 981 with a Carnewal gt exhaust? 

I would love to meet, buy you a beer or coffee and hear yours before I commit to this road trip.

Thanks 

I made the trip to Gert's place in March 2015. I have the GT exhaust on my 981 2.7. Live in Bedfordshire, happy to meet up.

Indeed, although like every pantomime i just had a call from the local Porsche dealer who's offered PSE to me with a small discount for some troubles I had when I last walked into his showroom. 

PSE will add some resale to the car, but £1200 dearer! 

Just when I thought my deliberating was over.... 

You won't regret a Carnewal GT exhaust! I had one fitted to my 2.7 987 and am already missing it after just 3 weeks of moving up to an S, in fact Gert has already shipped me another which will be fitted by Revolution Porsche at the weekend :rocks:

Gert's communications by email and phone are excellent, and having read other reviews on here he's also a pleasure to deal with in person. It's only the lack of time on my part that I didn't make the road trip - maybe I'll save that for when I move up to a 981...

Hi Clive, 

From what I've heard Gert's a great guy and I can vouch that he's very prompt with his communications. 

I've yet to hear a PSE on a 981 base boxster as I can't track down a dealer or person with one! From what I've read, these two systems are very similar in terms of sound but PSE being an OEM option will add some resell, albeit circa  £1400 more expensive!

If they sound similar across the the Rev ranges then I think Carnewal is the way forward for me! 

I'd like to hear one on a 981 too, but can't imagine that it will anything other than spectacular if the 987 offering is anything to go by!

As for resale value, the addition of a PSE would add some (not £1,400 though) but so would a Carnewal to an enthusiast purchaser in my view.

4 minutes ago, CliveH said:

I'd like to hear one on a 981 too, but can't imagine that it will anything other than spectacular if the 987 offering is anything to go by!

Try this for size!

it's a PDK Cayman but should be a good indication.

I've heard a Carnewal GT on a 981 base boxster thanks to @Ringer250 and it was truely wonderful! We started both our cars up together and it was noticeable. 

I meant I haven't heard a OEM PSE on a 981 to compare against. 

I think the bridge of £1400 is too much to make up in resale anyway, although I've only been a Porsche owner for 3 months so what would I know!

Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood you.

The PSE is good, and its switchable too, but it doesn't give any performance gains and IMHO doesn't unleash the full grunt of the flat six like the Carnewal modification does.

If you're happy with it being permanently in sport mode, then the Carnewal wins hands down for me on every count, especially value for money. Bang for buck it's one of the best mods I've ever done to a car, and that's saying something.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I ordered the Carnewal GT exhaust and a local Porsche indie fitted it today. I unfortunately won't get her back today but from what he told me, he didn't notice much difference from stock. 

I've read that it can take some few hundred miles before it kicks in? I know ringers one sounded a lot better than my stock so anything like his and I'll be happy!

Apparently it takes a few hundred miles to bed in as it soots up. Won't notice difference from stock at idle, it's only 3k plus it really kicks in (I speak from 987 PSE but sure it's similar).

10 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Apparently it takes a few hundred miles to bed in as it soots up. Won't notice difference from stock at idle, it's only 3k plus it really kicks in (I speak from 987 PSE but sure it's similar).

On my 981 it took the Carnewal appx 150 miles before you noticed the difference at higher revs, due to the ECU changing its settings Gert said. But it sounded deeper, throatier straight out of Gerts garage! At idle it is definitely different to stock - deeper noise, as NP90 witnessed.

On my 2.7 987.1, it took about 150 seconds to notice the difference sound wise!

it also felt more responsive and a little more torquey but I can't remember how immediate that was.

13 hours ago, np90 said:

Thanks guys. I ordered the Carnewal GT exhaust and a local Porsche indie fitted it today. I unfortunately won't get her back today but from what he told me, he didn't notice much difference from stock. 

I've read that it can take some few hundred miles before it kicks in? I know ringers one sounded a lot better than my stock so anything like his and I'll be happy!

Nice one,

I assume you done the exchange deal and had to send your old one back?

Yeah I did, although I wish I had driven to Gert now. Got a hefty 300 squid bill for what I thought was a simple muffler swap out. 

On a positive note, drove the 981 back home last night and there's a noticeable difference, especially on the downshifts, some crackles which sounds great! 

Simply turning on sport mode doesn't seem to change the exhaust note like yours does though. 

i also cleaned my exhaust tips and you're right they're chrome / stainless steel!! It's not polished yet but the tips do look bigger now. 

2 hours ago, np90 said:

Simply turning on sport mode doesn't seem to change the exhaust note like yours does though. 

That's because PSE is switchable (baffles move according to vacuum on/off I think) rather than Gert's which just fixes baffles in a different place (or removes them).

Archived