Air con dilemma

Terryg

We love our 'poor man's porsches' on here i did hear a rumour the boxster engine was derived from the porsche tractor of the 1950s.  

It's a great site packed full of information 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, took the Boxster to Revolution today for the the 111s(?) point check, so they found the usual amount of bodges on the car plus quite a few items that need replacing due to age but nothing horrific. However, our friend the aircon man did NOT fit oem condensors, he has left off a lot of trim clips, has broken items trying to make them fit around the non original condensors and has generally bodged the job according to Russ. I will be contacting him tomorrow for a refund, if that is not forthcoming a trip to the small claims court and a name and shame campaign will begin. 

BTW The price Russ quoted me to do the same job was less than 50% what I paid bodge man so lesson learned.

Hi Terry. Glad to hear you're back in the saddle, and determined to go after this cowboy.  Hope you have a receipt confirming OEM condensors, as that should nail him on a point of fact, rather than having to have subjective arguments about the quality of his work.

On a positive note, the Boxster appears to be basically a good 'un with some minor issues to sort out over time. :bana:

Good luck! :thumbsup_anim:

Emailed the guy yesterday and he rang back today, he didn't argue except to say he was told by his supplier they were OEM, he asked how much to make it go away, I gave him a figure and he agreed to pay it into my account (we will see if it does). I don't think I was hard on him with the figure and judging by his quick agreement neither did he, drama over (if the money goes in) and up the Revolution (quite pleased with that one)

Terry

Hope you get your money quick and can move on with getting the car sorted. Seems like there are always people around who see a Porsche and think ker-ching £££, more money than sense, I'll have some of that :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

Hope you get your money quick and can move on with getting the car sorted. Seems like there are always people around who see a Porsche and think ker-ching £££, more money than sense, I'll have some of that :rolleyes: 

Pretty much everyone that doesn't own own I would say. 

Yep, I agree with all that, must say I have asked Revolution to give me a price to get the car "right" so I can get on the monthly scheme and I think they have been very fair. I don't doubt that have a great, sustainable business because they treat people properly which is all (most) people want.

However, I am an idiot because I should have seen the signs, dodgy website advertising a national company and the company director turns up to work on my car! Hmmm not real is it? I wanted the job done quick as it was very hot and I don't always want the roof down, will I every learn? I think I just might on this occasion!

Terry

The key to keeping you out of these situations is planning and research! There are dozens of owners here who have maintained their car on a very cost effective basis and have often done the hardwork and been the guinea pig for parts. 

I posted up some 3+ years ago about the German Ava branded AC condensers sourced from ebay but from a radiator business. Their prices have actually come down since then! Look at the bigger picture at what works are likely to be needing doing whether that be brakes, waterpump, clutch, suspension arms/bushes and be armed with a list of potential tried and tested parts and suppliers. That way you can either buy ahead when the price is keen or at least be ready to move quickly if you have a failure. If you don't want to source parts yourself, then you can always rely on the likes of Revolution to give you a price for the full fat OEM fix or an alternative quality aftermarket part. Of course, you also get their back up should it fail.

Archived