981 Tyres

PEZ 9815

Hi all,

Its time for some new rubber all around and just would like to know what you guys have fitted and any opinions if possible,

i currently have Pirellis on 20" wheels and was thinking of changing to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymitrec 2, I find the Ackerman thing a little annoying and was hoping the softer tyres may reduce the dragging ???

Now I find this strange,

I have been looking online for best prices and it appears that if I choose the fronts with rim protection the rears aren't there to be selected and visa versa, or do I buy fronts and rears from separate retailers ?

or is it just me ? ??

On 13 August 2016 at 10:22 PM, boxsternoob56 said:

I switched from Pirelli to Goodyear with absolutely no regrets....also 20" tyres

go for it.....

I don't really notice the Ackerman nowadays but maybe I've got used to it!

Got the Goodyears fitted this week, so far I am really pleased with the results, no Ackermans ??? and feels really sure footed.

would highly recommend.

My BGTS has the Goodyear Eagle tyres fitted as standard on the (also standard) 20" rims.  They have been absolutely fine, good grip and comfortable.  On absolute full lock I have noticed the Ackerman effect to a small degree but now I know about it I can avoid it as even slightly backed off from full lock it's not there.  Can't vouch for the longevity as yet as only 6000 miles done, but the tyres all look very little worn.

1 hour ago, PEZ 9815 said:

FYI Got my tyres from a local alloy wheel repairer, they supplied and fitted cheaper than any of the on line sites. And I got peace of mind they would take care of my wheels. ??

Yes I am worried about the alloys, sounds a good way to deal with this!

On 13 August 2016 at 7:34 PM, PEZ 9815 said:

Hi all,

Its time for some new rubber all around and just would like to know what you guys have fitted and any opinions if possible,

i currently have Pirellis on 20" wheels and was thinking of changing to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymitrec 2, I find the Ackerman thing a little annoying and was hoping the softer tyres may reduce the dragging ???

What mileage did you get out of the rears? Mine seem to be ready at 10,000 miles!

I have replaced them at around 19000, this said on reflection although the tread depth was still in tolerance the rubber on the Pirellis did feel really hard and was crazed so maybe should have changed before?

I can't stress enough what a difference these tyres have made, ??

It's difficult to immediately judge how new tyres compare to your old ones - as any new tyre feels better than old worn ones, takes a little while to be sure they are better than the others ever were.  Good to hear you are still finding them better - I'm very pleased with my Goodyears, but have no experience of others on a Boxster apart from test drives.

On that - Porsche must think the Pirelli tyres were good - their decision to use them wouldn't be money driven would it?? :unsure:.  Also making me wonder why mine has Goodyears - maybe because the car has 20" wheels and PASM as standard (rather than option)?

23 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Interesting question, and observation that the S came with Pirelli but the GTS came with Goodyear, read into that what you will... JohnSyn, what was on your Spyder from new?

meno...have Pirelli P Zeros

Archived