981 Tyres

PEZ 9815

Is it only me who got Goodyears on a new Boxster?  Anyone get anything other than Pirelli?

Pirelli P-zero in Porsche N0 fitment are excellent all round on 20" wheels. Nice and quiet, very comfortable, and grip so hard in the dry that the tread blocks roll over.

That said, I have no idea what the Goodyears are like as I've not had them.

The thing with tyres is to buy whatever is the best deal at the time you need them. Brand loyalty is not a good idea as there is new stuff coming out all the time from different manufacturers.

I have Pirelli P-zero and the rears have lasted 2 years, 10,500 miles. They showed signs of cracking on the sidewalls several months ago when the wheels were redone by Excel. Due to all the issues I had with the wheels I wonder whether they were actually new tyres as the wheels had been swapped.......

Porsche did not recommend mixing brands front and rear (wanted Eagles) so would only fit complete set of a different brand. Their prices were £60 per wheel more than local outlets. In the end I went with Kwik Fit and stuck with Pirelli so I only have to get 2. £429 all in fitted and balanced for 2 rears 20" and I will oversee the operation......... Plan on changing this time next year, hopefully fronts may last until then.......

P-Zeros here too (on 20's) and have no issues with them either.  Again not had chance to compare but I've no reason to complain either.

Wear well too - rears managed about 20k.  Fronts still going at 24k.  The rim protectors seem to be relatively effective too for the odd minor rub against the kerb (thankfully!)

I purchased online then got the OPC to fit as I don't trust the local lot with my wheels!

20K on the rears ? I just double checked mine correctly per MOT guidelines. They are deffo borderline at 10,500 niles. Both rears have worn unevenly, the outer tread being at the limit while the rest of the tyre fine. First 2700 miles were as a demo car so maybe that`s it ? Remainder of tyre would definitely be good for 20k.

7 hours ago, GTB981 said:

20K on the rears ? I just double checked mine correctly per MOT guidelines. They are deffo borderline at 10,500 niles. Both rears have worn unevenly, the outer tread being at the limit while the rest of the tyre fine. First 2700 miles were as a demo car so maybe that`s it ? Remainder of tyre would definitely be good for 20k.

Yep - maybe the first 19k were driving Ms Daisy!  I can't comment for how the wear will go for the next 20k :)

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread. Looking at tyre options for 20” Boxster s wheels. 235 and 265 35 R29’s. Are the Eagle F1’s still a favourite or are the Michelin PS4’s now the best out there? Not needed quite yet but recent health check reports 4mm tread all round. 

32 minutes ago, F1HA said:

Resurrecting this thread. Looking at tyre options for 20” Boxster s wheels. 235 and 265 35 R29’s. Are the Eagle F1’s still a favourite or are the Michelin PS4’s now the best out there? Not needed quite yet but recent health check reports 4mm tread all round. 

I think the Eagles are fine and I suspect cheaper too, I've had no problems with them gripwise etc

I found the Goodyears are pretty much on par with Michelins in the dry and slightly better in the wet. 

The big difference was I only got 6000 miles out of Michelins on the rear compared to over 10,000 with the Goodyears.

It may be different on a track but I didn't notice any reduction in grip moving from Michelin PS2's to Goodyear AS2's on the road.

During the time I had the car, went through 2 sets of PS2's and 2 sets of AS2's (the latter lasted much longer).  

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I thought it was the extra grip provided by the hens teeth in the compound. 

Hens teeth and perhaps a sprinkling of N graded fairy dust?

Why can't I fit any tyre I fancy like with other cars, don't care if it's capable of 177mph.  My cars never going to get anywhere near that.

No, I bought 'skippy' off here.  The previous owner had paid for the extended warranty and then sold it a few months later.

If the car was reliable, I wouldn't pay £1400 for 2 more years.  It's reassuring to have with a used car you don't know.

Archived