Shape envy, gone it is

Mr96er

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, but since really enjoying my Boxsters, I've found myself less and less craving a 911. 

I used to love the shape more than anything and my first 1985 targa memories still linger. However now I get up daily and look at the Boxster lines, I actually think I prefer them and the 918 lines to a 996, 997 and I'm boarder line on the 981.2

not sure how this happened except for realising the car doesn't need more speed and the cabin on a 996 is almost imperceptibly different from my 986.  175 clock vs 150. Fully covered door bins etc... You all know.

never saw this coming....?

The desire for the 911 shape is primarily based on reputation, which is in itself based a fair bit on marketing.

If Porsche put softer springs and a smaller engine in the 911, making it a GT, and put the Boxster up to 3.8 twin turbos, no 10 year old would look twice at the former.

I used to think that the Boxster was uglier, until I started looking seriously at them.  Didn't realise back then that it was the exact same front end as a 996 either.

I'd say I've generally found I like the older styling since I've had the Boxster, whereas before I didn't.

Bear in mind the Aerokit style bodykit on yours will overcome the flat face look a standard Box has.

I still want a 993 though

Having a 997, I don't crave a Boxster but I have to admit to missing the drop top

if I could justify it, I'd add a 981 to the fleet in a heartbeat, such an accomplished and fantastic looking car but I wouldn't trade mine in for one that's for sure. :)

I've rated the look of each Boxster in their turn very highly indeed. Then I'd say the same about the 911. The Boxster suits me better or I would have bought the 911.

i to was hankering after a 911 . but the boxster is just as nice and even more practical in the long run. a family wedding in ireland last week and its amazing what the boxster can hold . even dresses and suits laid flat in the rear boot ..and a cavernous front boot ...:woot:

I always craved a 911, but after looking into the 986 I realised a bottom end 996 is not really much of a better car. And this may sound biased (now I have a box) but I personally think the look of the 986 rear end and boot lid is much nicer than the fatter looking 996. 

Even my daughter (who is 5) said only this morning "that Porsche I just like yours, but not as nice. You have a red roof too". I could whole heartedly agree.

Growing up, my dream car was always a 911, therefore once I was in a position to afford one I drove several versions, Turbo, GT3, 996, 997, Convertible, Targa and the latest incarnation.

Conclusion - not for me, I just can't get on with the light front end, the way the front wings bob up and down over bumps, all that weight out the back....I just find them a bit boring!

Then I test drove a Boxster - now you are talking, power, looks, sublime mid engined handling and excitement! As someone else has already said, if the Boxster was positioned in the range above the 911, then the 911 would be history!

Love my Boxster GTS, quite simply the best 2 seater open topped sports car you can buy for sensible money!

My next door neighbour has an arctic 2000 silver 996. Parked next to my arctic silver 986 facelift, I actually prefer the look of mine. Ok his rear wheels are wider which would be nice but I can't help feeling I most definately didn't get half the car when I paid half the price. I was desperate for a 996 but now think I'd have to go to a 997 to be fully content with a move from the Box.

20 hours ago, Jason986S said:

I always craved a 911, but after looking into the 986 I realised a bottom end 996 is not really much of a better car. And this may sound biased (now I have a box) but I personally think the look of the 986 rear end and boot lid is much nicer than the fatter looking 996.

The 986 is actually just over 1/2" wider I believe than a non 4S/Turbo 996.

3 minutes ago, Kooky 1976 said:

The 986 is actually just over 1/2" wider I believe than a non 4S/Turbo 996.

I didn't know that! By fatter I was more referring to the bulge of the chubby boot lid to house the rear engine.

9 hours ago, Jason986S said:

I didn't know that! By fatter I was more referring to the bulge of the chubby boot lid to house the rear engine.

Can just imagine you comparing the rear of a Boxster to a 996 like

tumblr_m69lhp94991rwcc6bo1_250_zpsbccc03

Wow! Really interesting. 

I agree that by and large, it's been looking at the beautiful curves of the rear haunches and boot lid that have me questioning the shape envy. 

BDB5E178-9EEA-4D37-BEDB-B6C941689BBE_1.j

4E93A557-F628-44B6-8D9D-A377C0E588A3.jpg

0144384E-BDF5-4915-9588-8F4A128BC6F6.jpg

rear of the year? 

3 hours ago, Kooky 1976 said:

Are those skirts original equipment or aftermarket? Look great.

GRP Replicas of the Aero Kit

£475.20 for Polyurethane genuine ones
http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/porsche_boxster_body_styling.html

..or about £99.99 for GRP copies on eBay.  I think @Jason986S has done a lot of research into this side of things.

Skirts without an Aero front would exaggerate the flat nose look too much, imo, so you'd have to have an Aero Kit type bumper to match it (as Loz does)

On 14 August 2016 at 3:48 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

Growing up, my dream car was always a 911, therefore once I was in a position to afford one I drove several versions, Turbo, GT3, 996, 997, Convertible, Targa and the latest incarnation.

Conclusion - not for me, I just can't get on with the light front end, the way the front wings bob up and down over bumps, all that weight out the back....I just find them a bit boring!

Then I test drove a Boxster - now you are talking, power, looks, sublime mid engined handling and excitement! As someone else has already said, if the Boxster was positioned in the range above the 911, then the 911 would be history!

Love my Boxster GTS, quite simply the best 2 seater open topped sports car you can buy for sensible money!

I couldn't get to grip with the light front end either. Had my 997 for 10years and now much happier in a plain vanilla 2.9 Manual Gen 2 Boxster albeit with a mega spec. Not as quick but great fun at almost legal speeds.

As @cj225 suggests, I have looked into the aero kit side of things quite extensively. 

I have come to the conclusion to only get a genuine front bumper, or a polyurethane at the least, the GRP (fibreglass) ones are a pain and not so great. So will avoid those. 

For skirts and spoilers, the aftermarket ones can be ok. My bodyshop has assured me they can re-work some (the better ones) to be as good as perfect (using genuine mounting hardware too). The body kit supplier/manufacturer chap I have in mind has a guards red 986 with the bits on it himself, and it looks great!

I've yet to pull the trigger as I haven't found a good enough condition genuine front bumper crop up (and I won't pay circa £1k for a new factory bumper made of plastic).

31 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

As @cj225 suggests, I have looked into the aero kit side of things quite extensively. 

I have come to the conclusion to only get a genuine front bumper, or a polyurethane at the least, the GRP (fibreglass) ones are a pain and not so great. So will avoid those. 

For skirts and spoilers, the aftermarket ones can be ok. My bodyshop has assured me they can re-work some (the better ones) to be as good as perfect (using genuine mounting hardware too). The body kit supplier/manufacturer chap I have in mind has a guards red 986 with the bits on it himself, and it looks great!

I've yet to pull the trigger as I haven't found a good enough condition genuine front bumper crop up (and I won't pay circa £1k for a new factory bumper made of plastic).

I've thought of this, but you're perhaps in a better position due to your GRP/Moulding matey...

Have you looked into whether an Aero-type bib/splitter can be fitted to a standard bumper to create a hybrid with the same/similar look?

7 minutes ago, cj225 said:

I've thought of this, but you're perhaps in a better position due to your GRP/Moulding matey...

Have you looked into whether an Aero-type bib/splitter can be fitted to a standard bumper to create a hybrid with the same/similar look?

I haven't considered an aero type splitter/lip but I have considered this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111634056056

But I have an alternative plan to try and make a GT4 style bare plastic:rubber 2" air dam type lip. 

I think with skirts fitted, I'll have an idea of what the front needs to pull off the overall look. 

I'm in a pickle when it comes to spoilers too, as I have a Cayman style Flicky ducktail pop up spoiler coming, but then will that cosmetically work with the aero2 legged boot lid wing, as most people disable/delete the factory pop up one when going aero completely.

1 minute ago, Jason986S said:

I haven't considered an aero type splitter/lip but I have considered this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111634056056

But I have an alternative plan to try and make a GT4 style bare plastic:rubber 2" air dam type lip. 

I think with skirts fitted, I'll have an idea of what the front needs to pull of the overall look. 

Mum in a pickle when it comes to spoilers too, as I have a Cayman style Flicky ducktail pop up spoiler coming, but then will that work with the aero2 legged boot lid wing?!

I'd seen that one, but concluded it made no noticeable difference, whereas the big chin of the Aero spoiler transforms the front.

I've got some ideas planned for the weekend, as I'm thinking of DIY Zunsporting the bumper anyway.

I don't really like the Aero spoiler on the 986, looks out of place I think, but I do love a good ducktail.  Almost like the one the Stola GTS had.

Archived