Wow! Surprised or what?

Boxbrownie

OK only just found (preliminary viewing Monday) our Boxster we think so I decided to check out a few insurance quotes........doing the usual CTM.com stuff, I got a premium FC, £250 VE + £250 C, Windscreen, Euro cover 30 days, 62 yrs old, full NCD....................£189........and that is with the company I was last with 18 months ago (Hastings) who were excellent with a no fault parking side crunch I got at work (car empty and parked) four years ago, so quite happy to proceed if all goes well, even get six weeks from start of cover to inform them of my Reg change over without charge, I thought that was good nowadays, as it appears most insurers want to charge if you ring up to ask the bl00dy time! :D

Quite surprised as it is £100 less than the Lexus RX the cover was on last time....hmmm

It probably comes down to claims history (for the model), and because most Porsches aren't daily drives, there are less claims.  I remember my 996 Turbo was a lot cheaper to insure than my 996 Carrera.  I can never make sense of insurance prices though, and find I have to shop around every year now.

The value of the car seems to make surprisingly little difference to your premium,  all other things being equal.  Last year, my 2006 (06)  Boxster 987, valued at about £10K, cost me about £180 to insure.   This year, my 2014 (64) Boxster 981, valued at about £40k, cost me about £230 from the same insurer.  Both policies fully comprehensive, social, domestic and pleasure use only,  annual mileage limit 4,000 for me and my partner with 10 years+ NCD.  We're both, ahem, middle-aged, which is a good place to be, for insurance purposes at least! 

The major cost of motor insurance these days relates to personal injury claims, which are hugely greater in the UK than elsewhere Europe, the product of a "something for nothing" culture, encouraged by the questionable business practices of agressive "no win, no fee" personal injury firms.

As Richard said above, Porsches would appear to have a better claims history than more mainstream cars you see hammering up and down motorways and A-roads every day.

57 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

S2000's are expensive too, but then many seem to get crashed at some point :)

Yeh, they hit a low price point of around 4k for an early one, so became affordable and easy to modify. The forged stock internals are tempting for those wanting to boost too. I guess just by numbers of Honda smashed by ricers and teenagers, they will hold a premium on the policy cost.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, Daniel Joseph said:

The major cost of motor insurance these days relates to personal injury claims, which are hugely greater in the UK than elsewhere Europe, the product of a "something for nothing" culture, encouraged by the questionable business practices of agressive "no win, no fee" personal injury firms.

All a product of the insurance companies themselves - selling their lists of claims to the ambulance chasers - until that practice was outlawed by government in 2013. In 2012 Admiral made £18.6 million selling accident claim details - The insurance companies now still do the same but they have bought out Law firms and incorporated them into the company (Admiral incorporated Lyons Davidson)- so now they don't sell the lists as they just pass to their in house ambulance chasers - who encourage false claims by pestering for years after an incident to make a claim and indicate huge sums of money even if you only suffered a broken pubic hair.

Its a very profitable scam - just like majority of claims get settled as a 50/50 knock - both parties loose their NCD - or it counts towards loosing it with a protected policy - but both parties premiums go up substantially because of a blameworthy claim - sneaky ar*eholes are insurers.

• 1 month later...

Just had renewal through for the Box (2000 986 S) £280, same as last year roughly.

Thought I'd ring round:  £157 from ..............SAGA. £150 CE, £0 VE, 5000 miles, SDP  62YO.
I'll take that, thanks

19 minutes ago, bigrumbly said:

Just had renewal through for the Box (2000 986 S) £280, same as last year roughly.

Thought I'd ring round:  £157 from ..............SAGA. £150 CE, £0 VE, 5000 miles, SDP  62YO.
I'll take that, thanks

Yep, Saga is consistently very competitive for those of us who are mature (or, at least, old!) enough to qualify.  The premium for my 981 was £230, same terms as your cover.  They're also a "Which" Recommended Provider.  That said, it's always worth checking at renewal time,  just to keep them honest... 

• 2 weeks later...

Confirm Saga insure both my cars, and when I phoned today to get a quote for a banger for fishing, said they could mirror my ncd. On reflection however, I think 3 cars (plus my wife's) is a car too far!

2 hours ago, richardy said:

Confirm Saga insure both my cars, and when I phoned today to get a quote for a banger for fishing, said they could mirror my ncd. On reflection however, I think 3 cars (plus my wife's) is a car too far!

Naaaaah if it's cheap & cheerful then why not :)

3 hours ago, richardy said:

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

Naaaaah if it's cheap & cheerful then why not :)

What R1 said  ^^^^ :)

You can never have too many different means of transport.  I don't know what the perameters are, but if you get serious DVLA will assign you a fleet number. :blush2: 

16 hours ago, Araf said:

What R1 said  ^^^^ :)

You can never have too many different means of transport.  I don't know what the perameters are, but if you get serious DVLA will assign you a fleet number. :blush2: 

Fortunately the dilemma has resolved itself in the car being sold!

Archived