GTS or S

runner

Apologies if this has been done tmdeath many times before but the question asks itself really. Been searching for a used 981 S and whilst clearly prices for used GTS's are quite a significant amount higher ... Do people think it's worth that hike or stay with S and the cost savings there on if you do as some GTS's appear to be a year or two old and still selling for the price they sold at when new ??? 

I can't see you being any better off cash wise with the GTS, as while it may be worth more when you sell it you are going to have to pay significantly more to buy it, as you are finding.

So, the main decision you have to make is do you want the extra performance / prestige of the GTS?

As a new purchase the GTS was likely the better buy. However as a S/h purchase you are already paying a premium so you will not likely lose less money on resale now.  In addition many S cars can be spec'd to GTS levels or better but without the visual changes.  When looking for mine I was looking at a GTS with similar miles/age/spec. But the GTS had PSE and the S had PASM and Bose, I saved £6k and went for the S.

GTS is just an "sporty looking" S where all the extras are slightly cheaper.  a usual end of run marketing ploy.  new they are about £3-4K cheaper than specifying the same options to an S, plus the front bumper.

The only positives I saw in the GTS were, carbon trim,  sports exhaust and a few more specd with the bucket seats.

GTS gains 15 bhp over S.

Top speed increased slightly.

0-60 on the GTS manual is 5.0 v 5.1 on the S.

0-60 on the GTS PDK (SC standard) is 4.7 v 4.8 on the S PDK with SC

So not much in it performance wise.

12 minutes ago, toocan said:

this might be contentious but i really dont like alcantara espectially on a steering wheel - i asume you can option a gts without it?

Yeh it gets too mucky on the wheel,  I quite like it elsewhere though and think an alcantara/leather mix can look great if done well.

42 minutes ago, toocan said:

this might be contentious but i really dont like alcantara espectially on a steering wheel - i asume you can option a gts without it?

Yes, it was possible to spec a GTS without it, I chose to have leather on the steering wheel instead but kept it elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

@Gorsh to answer!

Thanks for that @Menoporsche !

What can I say - I love everything about my GTS!  Some good points already made in this thread though, and it is after all down to personal choice.  I do think the GTS residuals will hold up much better than the S though, so all other things being equal (mileage, condition, etc) the GTS should always be worth the premium.  The current used prices are proof of this.

7 hours ago, Greenman said:

As a new purchase the GTS was likely the better buy. However as a S/h purchase you are already paying a premium so you will not likely lose less money on resale now.  In addition many S cars can be spec'd to GTS levels or better but without the visual changes.  When looking for mine I was looking at a GTS with similar miles/age/spec. But the GTS had PSE and the S had PASM and Bose, I saved £6k and went for the S.

The GTS was definitely the better buy new - I was lucky enough to get a build slot for one and it was a no brainer over a well specced S.  I think Porsche could have sold many more GTS's than were made available.

45 minutes ago, JonsT said:

Yes, it was possible to spec a GTS without it, I chose to have leather on the steering wheel instead but kept it elsewhere.

Me too, love the alcantara on the lower dash, part of door trim and seat centres - it is comfortable and gives the interior a premium feel IMO.  I think mine got changed when I chose the carbon interior pack instead of the GTS interior - this made the gearlever knob in carbon trim and the steering wheel in leather.

7 hours ago, GIB984 said:

I've just traded my RS60 for a carmine red GTS and absolutely would recommend it over the S.

The noise from the exhaust alone is worth the extra ???

I've probably drooled over your car a million times on the net before buying my 987.2 - congrats that is my favourite colour, one day maybe  :)

10 minutes ago, onedesi said:

I've probably drooled over your car a million times on the net before buying my 987.2 - congrats that is my favourite colour, one day maybe  :)

Thanks! If you followed my posts on the RS60 and how I upgraded the audio/sat nav system you may be interested as I removed all of it before I traded it in.

I will be posting up for sale soon and my mate who fitted and removed it lives in Shirley. 

20 minutes ago, GIB984 said:

Thanks! If you followed my posts on the RS60 and how I upgraded the audio/sat nav system you may be interested as I removed all of it before I traded it in.

I will be posting up for sale soon and my mate who fitted and removed it lives in Shirley. 

That sounds great have you a link to the thread ?

I originally wanted an S, but then saw a GTS and had no hesitation I wanted a GTS. I think you get the following over an S with a GTS:

PASM or X73 Suspension, Wind Deflector, Chrono Pack (Dynamic engine mounts, 15hp upgrade, Sport/Plus mode), PSE, 2-Way Electric Seats, PDLS, GTS exterior pack. (Grilles have big gaps bit £200 metal Zunsport grilles and no more big gaps)

GTS interior pack is an option, Im not sure if its just the stiching and seat belts and colour rev counter or other bits. 

I love my GTS, once I sat in one with a GTS pack I new it was the one I wanted. The whole package does work, the GTS is also 10mm longer on the nose from what i have read. Alot of them for sale are still loaded with options, and probably 60K+ new. 

I bought mine nearly 2 months ago, it seems just before the prices started increased at what seems a rapid rate, but the cars are selling, people are paying the money. 

I had a set budget, to be honest i wouldn't have paid what the going rate is now for my car from Porsche as it was above my budget. But winter is coming, maybe deals to be had?

58 minutes ago, jayk said:

I originally wanted an S, but then saw a GTS and had no hesitation I wanted a GTS. I think you get the following over an S with a GTS:

PASM or X73 Suspension, Wind Deflector, Chrono Pack (Dynamic engine mounts, 15hp upgrade, Sport/Plus mode), PSE, 2-Way Electric Seats, PDLS, GTS exterior pack. (Grilles have big gaps bit £200 metal Zunsport grilles and no more big gaps)

GTS interior pack is an option, Im not sure if its just the stiching and seat belts and colour rev counter or other bits. 

I love my GTS, once I sat in one with a GTS pack I new it was the one I wanted. The whole package does work, the GTS is also 10mm longer on the nose from what i have read. Alot of them for sale are still loaded with options, and probably 60K+ new. 

I bought mine nearly 2 months ago, it seems just before the prices started increased at what seems a rapid rate, but the cars are selling, people are paying the money. 

I had a set budget, to be honest i wouldn't have paid what the going rate is now for my car from Porsche as it was above my budget. But winter is coming, maybe deals to be had?

Thanks for this post ... I'm now leaning towards a GTS but as you say some are £60k when new they would have been £70k new and now they are 2 years old and have at least 10k mileage ... I'd have thought £55k ish would have been more appropriate pricing ... I wouldn't wish you to disclose purchase price but would you offer a bracket e.g. £50 - £55 ... £55 to £60k to give me an assessment of circa what they can be bought for ? 

Thanks either way ... PM me if you prefer ? 

45 minutes ago, runner said:

Thanks for this post ... I'm now leaning towards a GTS but as you say some are £60k when new they would have been £70k new and now they are 2 years old and have at least 10k mileage ... I'd have thought £55k ish would have been more appropriate pricing ... I wouldn't wish you to disclose purchase price but would you offer a bracket e.g. £50 - £55 ... £55 to £60k to give me an assessment of circa what they can be bought for ? 

Thanks either way ... PM me if you prefer ? 

Sent you a PM mate.

Hi Runner,

Most GTS models were highly specced and thus circa £70,000 brand new.

Used models, even two year old ones with 10k miles, seem to command between £57,000 and £60,000 from an OPC.

They are quite hard to get hold of now, with only six for sale on Autotrader last time I looked. My OPC regularly rings me to see if I want to part with mine so they obviously have buyers lined up.

Perhaps they are being viewed as the model to have as the last of the flat six engined cars, possibly as a good investment for the future in terms of lower depreciation levels. Who knows?

Anyway I love mine and whilst it is tempting to sell at the price the OPC is offering me, (virtually what I paid for it a year ago), I'm hanging onto it!

Archived