PSE Tailpipe differences???

michelin

Wondering if anybody can shed some light on a query I have. 

I take it a stock exhaust comes with a stainless steel twin pipe but what comes with the PSE system?

I've seen posts whereby the system, when retrofitted, can have the original pipe fitted back onto it or a 'Sports Tailpipe' can be fitted. Is the sports pipe extra money and also does it look any different to the stock pipe? 

Cheers guys  

I answered this here 

For the 981 the none S is more expensive as you have to buy the twin tailpipes where as the S you dont. Also in 2015 the PSE is the same part no. as the exhaust for the GTS (smaller back boxes) so has a nicer sound to it. Prices vary from what ive been quoted from OPC 2k to 2.6k the part itself is 1k exc VAT + cost of switch 160+ VAT (from memory) rest is labour

Id go Carnewal if you wanted to hoon it up with some noise - not a fan myself find them a bit droney

They are different than the standard S twin pipes, slightly larger and are chrome.  The standard twin pipes are stainless.

I had the PSE retrofitted and I had the recommended sports tailpipes fitted.  They look good!

And on the plus side,......you can sell on the old kit too.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe there is a black chromed option available. That would be on your options list. 

Otherwise get something to clean a small area underneath, and check the condition of the chrome plating. Being that mucky you may have saved the plating from the elements ?

2 minutes ago, runner said:

I have a 2014 Boxster S with the PSE option fitted from the start (eg not retrofitted) and have the following twin exhaust, which I have to confess, I thought was blacked (on purpose) finish wise, rather than coated by exhaust dust ... but reading the above, are people saying that all exhausts are either chrome or stainless steel and then as such I can buff it up back to being sliver again ?

Looking at Porsche Tequipment then you can get them in either chrome or in black, so don't polish too hard they may be black. Have a look underneath away from the exit and you should see its either silver or black

http://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&country=gb

No,I've seen black chrome pipes, though don't know if they were from the factory or not, so don't rub too hard. ;)

Cool ... thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts ... will check and let you know, as not with the car right now, but suspect, as there is a black option, that this must be ... as top side, I've never seen any chrome shining through ... admittedly not looked underneath and back to the point where it touches the car, so will do so !

Ta again.

5 minutes ago, runner said:

Cool ... thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts ... will check and let you know, as not with the car right now, but suspect, as there is a black option, that this must be ... as top side, I've never seen any chrome shining through ... admittedly not looked underneath and back to the point where it touches the car, so will do so !

Ta again.

I must admit that my last one looked like yours, and it was stainless underneath the soot. :blush2:

I did think that it couldn't possibly have got that 'blacked' up in 2 years and 7,000 miles, but maybe it has ? Based on your findings Araf ... will check, carefully !!! ;o)

Mine are chrome / stainless and they were completely black when I took the bumper off at about 10k. I polished them up and they are just as bad again about 3k later. 

I did look at removing them to get them refinished but they are held on by a spot weld so didn't bother. 

Thanks for that Top Radio ... so was there any part still remotely chrome so that you knew it could be buffed up ? Or had even the underneath gone all black ?

Clearly I don't want to chrome clean the exhaust pipes up and find they were purpose built blacked all along ? 

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, topradio said:

Mine are chrome / stainless and they were completely black when I took the bumper off at about 10k. I polished them up and they are just as bad again about 3k later. 

I did look at removing them to get them refinished but they are held on by a spot weld so didn't bother. 

What product ... am thinking of using Autosol Metal Cleaner ... did you use Topradio to buff your exhaust ... and can I use wire wool .. or just cloth and work it with some serious elbow grease ?

Ta.

11 minutes ago, T24RES said:

Not wire wool!

Use a paste like autosol to begin with, then finish with the cream cleaners like belgom.

So T24 .... just a cloth (microfiber?) and elbow grease with Autosol and then Belgom ... which is in essence a metal polish like I use to polish my metal fridge / dish washer doors ?

Thanks .

Pretty much, the Belgom is a finisher as it protects. 

If really grim you could try some 2500 wet/dry paper suitably lubed with soapy water. To get the worst off. 

The more you scratch the more you need to polish. Similar to paint. 

Try a patch underneath first. 

Mine were awful, I'm going to have them replated as they look ok from 10yards, but a poor reflection (no pun) of the car closer up. 

8 minutes ago, T24RES said:

Pretty much, the Belgom is a finisher as it protects. 

If really grim you could try some 2500 wet/dry paper suitably lubed with soapy water. To get the worst off. 

The more you scratch the more you need to polish. Similar to paint. 

Try a patch underneath first. 

Mine were awful, I'm going to have them replated as they look ok from 10yards, but a poor reflection (no pun) of the car closer up. 

Yeah ... mine look like 2 years old ... never been touched mate to be honest ... so I'll buy the stuff tomorrow (autosol) and give it a good go, maybe they will get better than I think ... but I doubt it ... :o)

12 minutes ago, topradio said:

I used autosol and a lot of elbow grease. This is how they turned out.

Before

IMAG3019.jpg

And after

IMAG3021.jpg

They're  worse underneath and I couldn't get them back to a good shine. As you can see the rim of the pipes is a little pitted as well.

Okay so dare I ask ... How long to get from picture a to b ? ... Just using autosol and a cloth or something more aggressive ? 

Archived