What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 hours ago, Patt said:

I'll bet a packer of Jaffa cakes that the sticker will not be a facsimile of the picture shown.

However it will be perfect for your situation.

I know, it does look a bit too good to be true ....

Looks like mine has passed as well. ?

Waiting to hear from garage but just checked the MOT history checker and it is showing as passed with no advisories, or what ever they are called now.

Viola passed her MOT this morning today too. Only advisory was slightly corroded brake pipes. I sprayed these up whilst at the station. Good for another year. 

Hood down motoring to work this morning! 

8 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Looks like mine has passed as well. ?

Waiting to hear from garage but just checked the MOT history checker and it is showing as passed with no advisories, or what ever they are called now.

Good stuff Colin, we must sort out a breafast meet soon with a pottle about the countryside.

Just now, Topbox said:

Good stuff Colin, we must sort out a breafast meet soon with a pottle about the countryside.

Absolutely, however I am in Paris this weekend then in Devon the weekend of the 20th July before heading off to Scotland then Turkey for two weeks. Should be back for the 12th August. I think the 15th July is still free.

Started on the big suspension overhaul today. Managed to undo or remove all the rear arms and bolts apart from the damned drop link top bolt/pinch bolt. They both seem seized solid into the hub. Going to ponder my options overnight for them.

Also I think I found the cause of the knocking from the rear.

It was like that on both sides. The rest of the bushes send OK, apart from the donut in the middle of the coffin arms and the ball joints felt a bit worn. Drop links and ARB bushes definitely needed changing.

1 hour ago, Eddy555 said:

Started on the big suspension overhaul today. Managed to undo or remove all the rear arms and bolts apart from the damned drop link top bolt/pinch bolt. They both seem seized solid into the hub. Going to ponder my options overnight for them.

Also I think I found the cause of the knocking from the rear.

It was like that on both sides. The rest of the bushes send OK, apart from the donut in the middle of the coffin arms and the ball joints felt a bit worn. Drop links and ARB bushes definitely needed changing.

Good job. It's not just the knocking with such a knackered bush but the suspension cannot control the fore and aft movement so you get changes in geometry as you load it up and hit bumps. It will feel unpredictable or twitchy nearer the limits. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to changing the plugs and coils on bank 2. Did bank 1 3months ago! ?? the two coil bolt heads on the rear most cylinder were badly corroded but thankfully I could get enough purchase to free them.  Rear discs and pads next, more stubborn bolts ? to come! 

Drove to Sutton to collect a complete set of Porsche Design 18" wheels. Its too hot to even unload the car now.....

28 minutes ago, Mark Lane said:

Added Bluetooth phone/audio streaming capabilities to the ancient PCM one in my new (to me) 2001 S.

IMG_0198.thumb.png.87834055d9006e1306de518f6cef2c59.png

What method did you use @Mark Lane?

Just now, RCS said:

What method did you use @Mark Lane?

Hi @RCS

Since this era of car doesn't use the MOST optical bus I couldn't use a Dension Gateway but I came across this -> https://www.elektronikidee.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&lang=en Works exactly as claimed. 

Cheers

Mark

11 minutes ago, Mark Lane said:

Hi @RCS

Since this era of car doesn't use the MOST optical bus I couldn't use a Dension Gateway but I came across this -> https://www.elektronikidee.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&lang=en Works exactly as claimed. 

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Dension type money then.  I shall ponder, rarely use the phone in the Boxster or stream music, so......  

Cheers

Rod

2 minutes ago, RCS said:

Thanks Mark,

Dension type money then.  I shall ponder, rarely use the phone in the Boxster or stream music, so......  

Cheers

Rod

Yeah not cheap, certainly. But I listen to music and audiobooks all the time when driving so some means of getting the music in was important to me. I could have hacked something together with an aux cable (and blank CD) but wanted something a bit more integrated and this does the job admirably. It's a clever solution really. 

Cheers

Mark

I was never overly fond of the aftermarket rear lights that were fitted on my car when I got it so I started to look around for other options.  I am a big fan of the 550 Spyder and RS60 all red rear lights so I decided that was the way I wanted to go, however I soon found the 550 lights were rather than hens teeth and commanded a premium when they did pop up occasionally.

I decided I would have a go at converting a pair of lights myself so using a pair of amber originals I tinted the rear lenses with a tint spray followed by a 2k clear coat and then final sanding with 1500, 2000 and 2500 wet and dry and a DA polish with medium grade body polish followed by a DA polish with Meguiars headlight polish.  The results are amazing and to me look like factory spec.  Here are a few photos.  Really pleased with the overal result and fitted them today at my mate David’s house.

The project took me about 2 weeks in the end to complete with drying time.

i72wH76.jpg

EuC1Ie2.jpg

e0EAjSZ.jpg

hBFwxAJ.jpg

bscS3U9.jpg

Nxx4ckc.jpg

8yTVAPi.jpg

• Like 1

Another useful quick mod/ tip I did whilst changing the rear lights today was to also use wing nuts instead of the daft normal nuts fitted so you have to mess around with a spanner.  Much easier now to get the lights in and out of a bulb ever goes at a roadside within about a minute.

13 minutes ago, S8ked said:

Great idea to use wing nuts !   The tail lights look great too?

Thanks really pleased with them.  Yes the normal nuts were a pain and it took about 10 minutes to get a light off.  So easy now ?