What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Started the process of cleaning it:

- Polished up the tailpipe with NXT metal polish
- Cleaned and fed the leather with gliptone liquid leather stuff.
- Wiped the interior down with some interior shampoo.
- Treated all the exterior plastic to chemical boys tyre and trim gel.

Removed the front bumper and cleaned out the radiators, can't believe just how much junk was trapped between the rads, should get another 2mpg now. Also replaced a defective fan resistor, so now both fans work in low and high speeds.

5 hours ago, Grizzlee said:

Also replaced a defective fan resistor, so now both fans work in low and high speeds. 

Hi - do you have a link to what you ordered?  This is a job I have to get done too.

Cheers,

Mike.

18 minutes ago, MikeT999 said:

Hi - do you have a link to what you ordered?  This is a job I have to get done too.

Cheers,

Mike.

I went for the cheap and cheerful approach as the OE resistor is £115 + vat on Design 911 and requires removal of the fan to fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008MLL3JQ/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

It's a little fiddly but no too bad, essentially the 3 wires are Green, Green/White and White. Solder the Green/White and White cables to one end of the resistor and the solid Green to the other.

It even fits in one of the original clips

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Anker BS said:

Did you take the opportunity to mount screens in the cooling intakes in the bumper cover? You can make them yourself or pay big bucks for ones already made.

It did cross my mind but ran out of time yesterday, looking at the amount of junk in there it would be a very good idea, leaves, sweet papers and crisp packets etc.

Those fans must really have some pull as the fins were totally plugged in places, I'm surprised it didn't overheat in the hot weather.

49 minutes ago, Grizzlee said:

It did cross my mind but ran out of time yesterday, looking at the amount of junk in there it would be a very good idea, leaves, sweet papers and crisp packets etc.

Those fans must really have some pull as the fins were totally plugged in places, I'm surprised it didn't overheat in the hot weather.

I don't think it's the fans as such. The debris just gets hoovered up as the car goes forward. The fans then just suck it all into the rad face so once in there is no chance for it to swirl around and come out again. 

8 hours ago, Grizzlee said:

I went for the cheap and cheerful approach as the OE resistor is £115 + vat on Design 911 and requires removal of the fan to fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008MLL3JQ/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

It's a little fiddly but no too bad, essentially the 3 wires are Green, Green/White and White. Solder the Green/White and White cables to one end of the resistor and the solid Green to the other.

It even fits in one of the original clips

Excellent - thanks for that!

I take it that it doesn't matter which side you connect to which?

Cheers,

Mike.

9 hours ago, MikeT999 said:

Excellent - thanks for that!

I take it that it doesn't matter which side you connect to which?

Cheers,

Mike.

No problem at all, either end will do fine.

4 hours ago, Eddy555 said:

4 wheel alignment done and then a blast around the roads with the top down to see how it feels. Much improved ?

Oh and I finally put on my refurbed wheels too. Looks much smarter, especially with the badges from @marts500

If you're feeling flush do the dampers and you will feel a whole new level of 'improvement' :D 

11 hours ago, edc said:

If you're feeling flush do the dampers and you will feel a whole new level of 'improvement' :D 

I'm feeling very far from flush at the moment after all the work I've done to her so far ?

The front ones look like they've been changed fairly recently, but the rears look original so I'll definitely get around to changing those at some point (i.e. when I've saved up and have some more time)

Edited by Eddy555

Fitted an indicator relay with audible 'beep' as I kept leaving the indicators on as I couldn't hear it working or properly see the dash tell tale due to driving position and bright light.

Required a small wiring correction using a wired relay socket as the new relay was a CF13 and standard is CF14. Needs the earth and switch feeds swapping over.

Total cost £4.98

Hopefully fewer cars pulling out on me or flashing me from now on ?

1 hour ago, Shazbot said:

Fitted an indicator relay with audible 'beep' as I kept leaving the indicators on as I couldn't hear it working or properly see the dash tell tale due to driving position and bright light.

Required a small wiring correction using a wired relay socket as the new relay was a CF13 and standard is CF14. Needs the earth and switch feeds swapping over.

Total cost £4.98

Hopefully fewer cars pulling out on me or flashing me from now on ?

I need to do this, the number of times I overtake and then leave the flasher on?. Have you got a link to the new relay?

On 7/2/2018 at 3:55 PM, Patt said:

I'll bet a packer of Jaffa cakes that the sticker will not be a facsimile of the picture shown.

However it will be perfect for your situation.

Well I finally got around to ordering this an no, not perfect but not as bad as I thought it would be...!

4tte1Gn.jpg

They even go to the length to make a fake Porsche parts sticker ?

On 7/19/2018 at 4:06 PM, Nobbie said:

I need to do this, the number of times I overtake and then leave the flasher on?. Have you got a link to the new relay?

These are the items i used. I just removed the wires not needed, the spades are held in with a small tang that you can flatten out to get the wired spade connector out. Fit 6mm male blade crimp connectors on the remaining three wire ends and make sure the earth and switch supply- E and B poles are slotted into the correct holes i.e. the standard relay (CF14 has the E and B poles on opposite sides)  in the relay board.

Obviously if you can find an audible relay in CF14 layout its a simple plug and play swap I had this one spare for use on my bike

You can see on the pictures below both CF13 and CF14 relays with pin layouts. The audible relay in the link below is CF13 hence the need to swap the wires over.

If the relay has numbered poles it works as follows

L = 49a

B = 49

E = 31

relay with buzzer

relay socket

Wow, a relay expert (?). Can I jump in with a question?

On my Boxster, a quick dip of the flasher stalk makes it flash three times - perfect for indicating a gentle turn (clicking the stalk would then mean unclicking after as the turn isn't enough to self-cancel).

On my Toyota family car, a quick dip of the stalk means only one flash, short enough for most other drivers to miss.

Any idea how to introduce the former function to the latter?  I assume it's "buy a different relay", I just wouldn't know where to start...  Advice would be kind!

Gave her a quick wash and debated using mountain warehouse water proofing spray on the roof but ran out of time :(

now im just looking at her through the windows at work before I set off to Stafford 

On 7/21/2018 at 4:30 PM, Menoporsche said:

Wow, a relay expert (?). Can I jump in with a question?

On my Boxster, a quick dip of the flasher stalk makes it flash three times - perfect for indicating a gentle turn (clicking the stalk would then mean unclicking after as the turn isn't enough to self-cancel).

On my Toyota family car, a quick dip of the stalk means only one flash, short enough for most other drivers to miss.

Any idea how to introduce the former function to the latter?  I assume it's "buy a different relay", I just wouldn't know where to start...  Advice would be kind!

LOL! Far from a relay expert, just some knowledge (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing-? Not sure who I'm paraphrasing but they were probably right) and reading I'm afraid.

The relay simply handles load.

The 'motorway' lane change function is usually controlled via coding in the ecu nowadays rather than the relay itself, but I stand to be corrected.

Even on my old Mk4 Golf you could code it in with VCDS

If easily accessible you could pull your Boxster relay and check the printed markings to see if it contains any magic?

Sorry I can't be any real help on this one............

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, Sazzy said:

Well I finally got around to ordering this an no, not perfect but not as bad as I thought it would be...!

4tte1Gn.jpg

They even go to the length to make a fake Porsche parts sticker ?

That looks better than expected !

• Like 1