What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 11/25/2019 at 7:53 AM, ½cwt said:

Also intriguingly the windows were open this morning (definitely close when I locked it up last night) so I'm also drying out the interior as it rained overnight. 

You've checked water is not getting in the cab even with the windows closed? I ask because I had this problem on a Ford. The front drain holes blocked and water got in via the pollen filter. I got back to the car to find all windows and sun roof open and it tipping it down. I contacted my a Ford garage and was told it's a safety feature. If the car goes into water the windows and sunroof open to aid escape. I dont know whether Porsches do the same.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Please to report that after leaving my (now nice clean) key transponder in a bag of rice near a nice warm radiator whilst I've been working away for the last couple of days, all it well and it still works.  Phew! 

Fantastic news 👍

51 minutes ago, Boxob said:

You've checked water is not getting in the cab even with the windows closed? I ask because I had this problem on a Ford. The front drain holes blocked and water got in via the pollen filter. I got back to the car to find all windows and sun roof open and it tipping it down. I contacted my a Ford garage and was told it's a safety feature. If the car goes into water the windows and sunroof open to aid escape. I dont know whether Porsches do the same.

First time it has happened and it lives outside all year so I believe it is associated with washing the key.  If I'm leaving ti for more than a couple of days I usually fit my half cover which will keep any space due to open windows covered anyway.  I've checked the drains recently but will again and monitor it.

2 hours ago, myfirstboxster said:

Put mine through its MOT , which it passed thankfully , although got an advisory on the brake pipes being a bit crusty , at 19 years old i suppose I can't complain about that too much ?

Well worth getting a garage to get the undertrays off and do a proper inspection. I had this advise on an MOT and when I looked they were almost at failure point under the trays and one literally fell apart as I removed it😳

3 hours ago, myfirstboxster said:

Put mine through its MOT , which it passed thankfully , although got an advisory on the brake pipes being a bit crusty , at 19 years old i suppose I can't complain about that too much ?

Very common, even on much younger cars. While I wouldnt say ignore, some testers can often be a bit ott about them. 

12 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Very common, even on much younger cars. While I wouldnt say ignore, some testers can often be a bit ott about them. 

Mine got this as a fail back in March.  Cleaned off the rusty grease, a light tickle with emery cloth and fresh grease, same tester then passed it.

16 hours ago, Happy Days said:

I'll bet the Boxster is less than happy with you - mistreating it like that!😀😛😧

It is German (hmm maybe Finnish) Teutonic and stoic, no problem.  Besides it decided to open the windows, not me. Your Honour.

7 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Fitted the tubular manifolds and 200 cell cats, all went much better than expected with all 12 manifold bolts coming out easily. Sounds even better and revs cleaner and quicker.

I bet you hit the limited on your first few drives. I did this on my first Boxster after fitting just the manifolds as it seems to want to keep revving and the power still keeps coming at the top end. 

Just now, edc said:

I bet you hit the limited on your first few drives. I did this on my first Boxster after fitting just the manifolds as it seems to want to keep revving and the power still keeps coming at the top end. 

I have only had one drive for about 5 minutes but yes you are bang on, hoping to get a drive tomorrow as I won't see her again until Christmas

On standard manifolds it feels strangled in comparison and my memory is old as I haven't driven a standard car for many a year now you can feel the power tail off as you approach the limiter. With the manifolds it is the opposite. 

On 11/27/2019 at 5:23 PM, ½cwt said:

Please to report that after leaving my (now nice clean) key transponder in a bag of rice near a nice warm radiator whilst I've been working away for the last couple of days, all it well and it still works.  Phew!  

OK, small problem still.  The battery is now going flat in about 1 day.  Going to give it a good dowsing in contact cleaner to hopefully resolve this problem.  Might be time to get my second key resurrected to fully functional remote unlocking.

I see prices for £300 for new keys, how much for just transponder units? I guess about £250...

Also took advantage of Black Friday to order new bonnet gas struts from onlinecarparts.co.uk using their 29% off promo. Monroe OEM spec £24 for the pair incl delivery.  Two knocks to the head is enough to prompt me to change them.

Dowsed the key transponder unit mentioned above in contact cleaner. Hopefully the next battery will not be flat by tomorrow night...

17 hours ago, edc said:

On standard manifolds it feels strangled in comparison and my memory is old as I haven't driven a standard car for many a year now you can feel the power tail off as you approach the limiter. With the manifolds it is the opposite. 

Definitely agree, got a bit of a spin today and it is now so easy to take her up all through the upper rev range and the power just keeps coming. Not sure how much is manifolds and how much is 200 cell cats but I am very impressed with the difference and the sound is fantastic.

Sun was out yesterday so gave the old girl a decent snow foam and polish in advance of fitting my winter wheels & tyres at the weekend, dried off the best way with a roof down, spirited drive.

IMG_7647.jpg

Also took advantage of some silly Black Friday discounts and got full set of discs, pads, sensors and dampers etc (saved getting on for £275 too) mine aren't quite ready to be changed but daft not to save the money, would have preferred Brembo discs all round but ECP didn't have fronts - and their Mintex fronts were a stupid £14.54 each !!! also picked up a new horn (one seems to have failed) and some new wipers for winter.

IMG_7678.jpg

27 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

ISTR horn fails as it collects water; mount the new one at a different angle. 

They are both angled towards the ground, the bottom one more so. 

Could well be splashing from the ground that contributes to failure... don't recall there being much room for adjustment though. 

Edited by PaulQ

On 12/1/2019 at 1:56 PM, ½cwt said:

Also took advantage of Black Friday to order new bonnet gas struts from onlinecarparts.co.uk using their 29% off promo. Monroe OEM spec £24 for the pair incl delivery.  Two knocks to the head is enough to prompt me to change them.

Opened Autodoc delivery and fitted the Magnetti Marelli branded struts they sent as opposed to the Monroe I ordered but the MM were listed at about £8 each more on the day.  Could be a useful trick to bear in mind in future when ordering something they list lots of options for, buy the lowest offer and you might get an alternative that was listed at a higher price.

Anyway, I'm happy and the bonnet raises itself now once about a third of the way open.  No more bangs on the head from it.