What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Actually drove it!  Our day to go shopping this week.  Roof down for the first time this year as well.  Left it parked with roof down too.  Might have upset a few people with this move on reflection, but they were soon distracted by a loud Maserati driving round the car park taking their attention away.

I did exactly the same, first time out in Boxster for a week (since our last social distancing big shop) sun was out so I really don't see the problem in putting the roof down and enjoying the drive, I don't recall anything saying we should be miserable while we are being socially responsible, and apart from the one long dog walk a day it's the only time I am out and about for 7 days...

Polished and waxed the car, looking splendid for 22yr old paint and cut the old number plate down to remove the Euro/GB flag, its a 5 character number plate so decided to chop the whole plate down at the front to fit the plinth, very happy with the results.

If anyone is looking to do the same, don't hacksaw, I tried this first further up the plate as a test, rough edges not good, best way to get a razor straight edge is to simply score the plate with a Stanley knife and snap it of, then file the edges to a curve.

Edited by the baron

48 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

Got some heat resistant decals a while back as my front brakes had been repainted but the PORSCHE lettering was covered over.

got them from ccdecals.com

013B97A0-CD0D-48D9-9036-891D60F71EF4.jpeg

You might want to apply a coat of clear lacquer 

I did wonder about lacquer but haven’t yet, worst case I have 8 in the  pack supplied

it didn’t say to in the instructions and I think this one isn’t exactly square so I might re do it anyway. 

Edited by Halfordwill

Changed the oil and oil filter.
I have a magnetic oil plug and it has very small 'fur' kind of black material on the magnet as you can see on the first image. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
The plug's magnet cleaned off real shiny just by lightly wiping it with a towel.

Another image shows the cut out filter that is real clean. Thre was only one very small peace of black plastic kind of material - approximately a size of 0.5 x 0.5 mm.

2020-04-04 Magnetic Oil plug.jpg

2020-04-04 Oil filter.jpg

15 hours ago, Bluepork03 said:

Removed all the scuttle panel and under bonnet plastics. Cleaned out the area under the windscreen and polytrol'd all the plastic before replacing. 

Nice to see it black again!

It's amazing how much rubbish is in and around there. It's on my to do list, as well as cleaning behind the front bumper....procrastinating that one though as I think I know what I will find...damaged condensers!

1 minute ago, BTM520 said:

It's amazing how much rubbish is in and around there. It's on my to do list, as well as cleaning behind the front bumper....procrastinating that one though as I think I know what I will find...damaged condensers!

Yeah it was like an insect mortuary in there!

If it were me and I suspected that my condensers might be shot, I'd be using the current down time to get them sorted. There are lots of threads on here to help with the 'How to' and 'Where to buy'. Let's face it, the next time you get to drive it properly you might be sat in traffic in 30 degree heat wishing your air-con was doing it's job. Just my two-penn'orth ;)

49737680546_d1fe0d4382_z.jpg

Using lockdown as an opportunity for a full brake refresh including painting the calipers, new dampers, discs and pads, bleed nipples. 

Yesterday successfully stripped all 4 corners. Other than slightly recalcitrant pad pins at the front, all came apart perfectly with no stripped threads, no need to drill out disc screws and no seized bleed nipples. 

(N.B. rear bumper was off to repair rear heat shield fixing front bumper off to clean leaves from condensers and fit mesh)

Edited by Mark Lane

1 hour ago, Mark Lane said:

49737680546_d1fe0d4382_z.jpg

Using lockdown as an opportunity for a full brake refresh including painting the calipers, new dampers, discs and pads, bleed nipples. 

Yesterday successfully stripped all 4 corners. Other than slightly recalcitrant pad pins at the front, all came apart perfectly with no stripped threads, no need to drill out disc screws and no seized bleed nipples. 

(N.B. rear bumper was off to repair rear heat shield fixing front bumper off to clean leaves from condensers and fit mesh)

Nice set up.  Much the same job list as I have in mind regarding brakes anyway.

BTW, what is the scissor lift you are using, it is obviously effective.

@Bluepork03 yes I have strongly considered it but as highlighted above, I would want to install mesh etc as well. With a wife and young child I still don't want to be out at my car all day. I need to find a happy medium!

My starter motor has started to do a pig squeal! So going to attend to that and clean the throttle body whilst it's out. Then I will inspect front bumper area. 

@Halfordwill good tip about the fans! 

25 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

BTW, what is the scissor lift you are using, it is obviously effective.

This one : https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7630-mobile-scissor-lift/

Makes jobs like this a real pleasure; moving the work up to comfortable height rather than lying/kneeling on the floor. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mark Lane said:

This one : https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7630-mobile-scissor-lift/

Makes jobs like this a real pleasure; moving the work up to comfortable height rather than lying/kneeling on the floor. 

That looks effective! Fancy one myself but not sure SWMBO would agree!

6 hours ago, Mark Lane said:

About £1300 worth of food for thought....  Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

It's a great bit of kit, albeit clearly not cheap. I built a Caterham 7 about 10 years ago with my Dad and he decided he was too old to be crawling around on the floor, so he bought the lift to make the build easier. It's paid for itself over in the last 10 years having been used for all manner of jobs on all sorts of cars which would otherwise be too difficult to do at home. 

Edited by Mark Lane
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mark Lane said:

It's a great bit of kit, albeit clearly not cheap. I built a Caterham 7 about 10 years ago with my Dad and he decided he was too old to be crawling around on the floor, so he bought the lift to make the build easier. It's paid for itself over in the last 10 years having been used for all manner of jobs on all sorts of cars which would otherwise be too difficult to do at home. 

I can see the benefits and I'd order one tomorrow but for two things - cashflow and which upgrades/improvements to delay on the Boxster and the space to store it when not in use (everything has to go from drive to shed as I've no garage).

One thing I can't see on the website is how much it weighs?  I guess you can lift and push/drag on the metal rollers.

Today I have taken the roof off and fitted new membrain. The rams have punctured holes in the old ones at some point in it's life so I got some new ones and fitted them. All good now and what a job. Easy but if your gonna do it, make sure you have help to lift the roof back on. 

Not quite done to, but getting ready to do to:  Ordered up caliper paint and decals today.  Hopefully they will arrive by Thursday so I can work on it over the long weekend.

Edited by ½cwt