What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

15 minutes ago, Boxob said:

There is a joint between the floor carpet and the rear firewall carpet. Wi th h the seat forward it's possible to get a hand in the gap and pull up the floor carpet enough to slide a newspaper under it. Once the news paper is in place stand on the floor carpet to squeeze out the water from the under carpet foam. Repeat. Eventually the foam will not have excess water. Then use a rolled or folded newspaper to raise the floor carpet to allow air to circulate. 

AWESOME!,!!! 
job for tomorrow then as it needs to be dry more than I need to polish the dash 😃

Thursday I changed the boot pistons so it no longer lands on my head when I open it. I also changed the tension struts at the back of the roof (1 was broken) to see if that would fix the roof tension (no it didn’t)..

drove it in the rain yesterday so it needs another clean😀

This weekend I found that my suspected RMS oil seepage, was in fact coming from the oil filler tube top section (the part from the header tank and filler in the boot) where it had been put back together incorrectly in a previous life. Replacement ordered for only £20, phew!

5 hours ago, Freddie said:

This weekend I found that my suspected RMS oil seepage, was in fact coming from the oil filler tube top section (the part from the header tank and filler in the boot) where it had been put back together incorrectly in a previous life. Replacement ordered for only £20, phew!

That sounds like it was a tough job! Well done!

6 hours ago, Freddie said:

Now that is a result!  S

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alison said:

That sounds like it was a tough job! Well done!

It was awkward, 'cos of where you have to get your hands in, the extra long reach hose clamp pliers are a must, I watched @Helpmediy's (a member here) video on how to remove the header tank and that was extremely helpful, shows how to get at the hoses on the boot side:

1 hour ago, Freddie said:

It was awkward, 'cos of where you have to get your hands in, the extra long reach hose clamp pliers are a must, I watched @Helpmediy's (a member here) video on how to remove the header tank and that was extremely helpful, shows how to get at the hoses on the boot side:

I've now watched the video - how very awkward! How many stratches do you have on your hands now? LOL!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alison said:

I've now watched the video - how very awkward! How many stratches do you have on your hands now? LOL!

It also helps if you have two pairs of hands, I did mine last year and @Rav helped me as he had done his the year before.

Its really not difficult just awkward. 

• Like 1

Read all about it here:

Thanks for the mention @the baron Happy to do antoher one, just get the car over. Dont buy cheap parts, the OPC is the only place for a new tank!

Hi all,

I've not long taken the plunge to aquire my lovely 986 Boxster S and not looked back.

To date I've changed the:

-Headlight bulbs to the more powerful Philips racing vision

- detailed the car from front to back with ceramic coating

- removed all the rubbish and leaves stuck Infront of the radiators

- vacuumed and unblocked all the drain holes

- cleaned and detailed the engine bay

- sorted out the water ingress via the door seals

-removed the rubbish Sony stereo for a classic Alpine unit which pumps out more bass and better sound quality. Also tweeted the time correction for the speakers.

-added a Bluetooth FM hands free transmitter. Life changing compared to what I had before.

-cleaned up and rust proofed the from brake lines

- removed intake snorkel- sounds absolutely amazing

Next on the cards will be to:

-change the spark plugs and coil packs

-upgrade the TB- undecided on 74mm or 82mm

- front mesh to protect the radiators

- Italian tune

So I've been busy, but love the car and the way it drives.

James

Edited by JL888

32 minutes ago, JL888 said:

Hi all,

I've not long taken the plunge to aquire my lovely 986 Boxster S and not looked back.

- detailed the car from front to back with ceramic coating

- removed all the rubbish and leaves stuck Infront of the radiators

- vacuumed and unblocked all the drain holes

- cleaned and detailed the engine bay

-removed the rubbish Sony stereo for a classic Alpine unit which pumps out more bass and better sound quality. Also tweeted the time correction for the speakers.

-added a Bluetooth FM hands free transmitter. Life changing compared to what I had before.

-cleaned up and rust proofed the from brake lines

- removed intake snorkel- sounds absolutely amazing

Next on the cards will be to:

-change the spark plugs and coil packs

- front mesh to protect the radiators

- Italian tune

James

Welcome. Sounds like a good start!

39 minutes ago, JL888 said:

Hi all,

James

It's very common issue with these 986 & 996 tht when more powerful driving light bulbs is swapped in, they burn the lense inside the headlight unit to brown, with time to so bad that those look nasty and some cases do not clear the MOT... I'd keep the original streght halogen bulbs or try to find proper LED's that fit in.

1 hour ago, pacificjuha said:

It's very common issue with these 986 & 996 tht when more powerful driving light bulbs is swapped in, they burn the lense inside the headlight unit to brown, with time to so bad that those look nasty and some cases do not clear the MOT... I'd keep the original streght halogen bulbs or try to find proper LED's that fit in.

I was thinking this would be an interim solution to the current poor light output. Not had any issues yet as I only use the car in the day, for now at least until it starts getting dark in a couple of months. I may look into the led option but again there are mixed opinions on this. 

Edited by JL888

Get the brighter but same wattage bulbs. I would also do the 74mm throttle body. Did it myself several years ago 68 to 82 mm is a big jump. 

19 hours ago, JL888 said:

Hi all,

Hi There

Sounds like good work. As mentioned be careful with the bulbs. I had a very burnt lens and ended up fitting HID projectors.

How did you sort out the water ingress via the door seals? It usually arrives via a breach in the membrane under the door card. I used buytl tape to seal mine this very morning.

I have a cigarette lighter bluetooth thing. Its great!  Not as good as a bluetooth stereo, but an easy fix if you want to keep the original unit like I did.

That is a big jump in TB size. Read up on airflow velocity turbulence and general tuning etc. A lot of mods can actually end up reducing power or low end torque if not done correctly. Especially on a car such as this where it is reasonably well optimised as standard.

Any pictures of the car?

All the best

Berni