What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

7 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

As above, the pre facelift glass hoods look a bit odd to me. 

Agreed, whilst I've been tempted by a glass rear window unfortunately some of the aftermarket options look downright odd. There's one paricular make that's almost rectangular rather than curved on the sides which looks terrible.

To each their own though ehhh.

20 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Agreed, whilst I've been tempted by a glass rear window unfortunately some of the aftermarket options look downright odd. There's one paricular make that's almost rectangular rather than curved on the sides which looks terrible.

To each their own though ehhh.

Indeed. 

43 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Wanting to do the Boxster chop every time the hood goes down looks odd to me, but we’re all different. 

More a case of need then want. 

I'm willing to put up with the slight inconvenience for a better looking hood. 

Obviously if you like the look of the aftermarket glass screen hoods then you wouldn't. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Wanting to do the Boxster chop every time the hood goes down looks odd to me, but we’re all different. 

I only use my car at weekends when the weather is decent so not much of a problem for me. I can understand why its frustrating if its an everyday vehicle though. 

If you can find a supplier replace the plastic screen with one made of TPU (Thermoplastic polyurethane). Optically as good a glass, folds in any temperature (no need to chop) and resistent to abrasion. As used on the BMW Z8. I've tried to find a supplier, even BMW, without success unless bulk buying. If your interested and do find a supplier let me know. 

2 minutes ago, Boxob said:

If you can find a supplier replace the plastic screen with one made of TPU (Thermoplastic polyurethane). Optically as good a glass, folds in any temperature (no need to chop) and resistent to abrasion. As used on the BMW Z8. I've tried to find a supplier, even BMW, without success unless bulk buying. If your interested and do find a supplier let me know. 

Apparently glass is better... 

9 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Do you remember someone years ago really tried to do this, was insistent on it. I got the impression he was really close but it didn’t work out. 

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Do you remember someone years ago really tried to do this, was insistent on it. I got the impression he was really close but it didn’t work out. 

It was me and Technow. We did get close but not quite there. A supplier said he had it, Technow bought some, but it wasn't. He fitted it anyway so search ended.

51 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I would think so as it has multiple applications. Flat clear sheeting for screens is one.

You could probably get some on alibaba, and while it has better properties then PVC, I don't think it would be quite as good as you think it would be in practice. 

From a quick search seems like it was 2mm thick on the Z8

You would then have to find somebody that would fit it for you, which would probably be even more difficult then sourcing the material itself. 

I take it you don't like the look of the aftermarket glass screen hoods either then, or is there some other reason you don't want a glass hood.? 

I must admit that while my hood isn't as new, it doesn't look anywhere near 23 years old, so seems a shame to bin it as it would probably last another screen replacement. 

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

You could probably get some on alibaba, and while it has better properties then PVC, I don't think it would be quite as good as you think it would be in practice. 

From a quick search seems like it was 2mm thick on the Z8

You would then have to find somebody that would fit it for you, which would probably be even more difficult then sourcing the material itself. 

I take it you don't like the look of the aftermarket glass screen hoods either then, or is there some other reason you don't want a glass hood.? 

I must admit that while my hood isn't as new, it doesn't look anywhere near 23 years old, so seems a shame to bin it as it would probably last another screen replacement. 

I don't like the letterbox look of the glass screen on the pre facelift hood frame.  A TPU screen would be worth trying IMO. I expect about £200 to fit once sourced.

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Yup. Goes with the cassette player in the dash. 

Nah, mines a 2000 S so CD in dash, CD storage and CD changer... then again I've replaced the head unit with a Bluetooth compatible one, deleted the CD storage with a paling shelf and flogged the autochanger.  Perhaps a glass window in a new pre-facelift hood does start to make some sense. 🤔

29 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Nah, mines a 2000 S so CD in dash, CD storage and CD changer... then again I've replaced the head unit with a Bluetooth compatible one, deleted the CD storage with a paling shelf and flogged the autochanger.  Perhaps a glass window in a new pre-facelift hood does start to make some sense. 🤔

Nobody's made this. The glass is smaller to clear the hoops properly so when you get an aftermarket pre facelift glass hood it's a whole piece of glass and fabric. 

3 hours ago, edc said:

Nobody's made this. The glass is smaller to clear the hoops properly so when you get an aftermarket pre facelift glass hood it's a whole piece of glass and fabric. 

I meant pre-facelift shaped hood.  I am aware it would be a whole new hood with a different sized window, hence my query to @the baron above about visibility as I know he has one.

I noticed the other day that you can get puddle/ghost lights that project your emblem onto the ground when you open the door by replacing the door light, however they only appear available for post 2004 Boxsters. 
Anyone done this or is it supremely tacky?

4 hours ago, stevemag said:

Well, MOT booked, attended and flew through without any advisories.

The MOT man did remark it was nicer than my  old Morgan4/4 .......

Finished with the obligatory remark " For a woman's car!" (Re the Boxster )

204507991_2018-08-2120_03_59.jpg.044cef1d17a54222f62b6708789b75c0.jpg

Well you do look rather fetching in that black dress.😂

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, the baron said:

Well you do look rather fetching in that black dress.😂

Only on Thursdays!  .......

It's a skin tight jump suit ........htmbo let's me wear it 😂🙂^_^:D:rocks:😬;)

I even finally fixed the clock / oil gauge bulb 

Edited by stevemag