What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I have his front adapters, I thought the rears came with grilles? I could be wrong! Did you consider leather for the door pockets, or you just prefer alacantra?

Grilles are extra with the rears, he did offer but I had some mesh left over from when I did the grilles in the front bumper 😁

Do you mean the door pocket covers (the flap that opens up)? Mine were a nasty plastic which the colour had worn off clearly from many years of an arm resting there so I decided to go with alcantara to match my steering wheel plus I thought I'd struggle to get a colour match to the rest of the leather

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Cap was firmly secured... ☹️

So was mine. And it was an 04 part number. Still the boot carpet was damp, the bootlid was wet and a new cap seems to have solved it!

My drain hole next to the bleed valve was blocked also. So any coolant went straight into the boot.

I finally completed the 987 airbox and MAF housing mod for my Boxster S. 

I adopted the approach to cut the 987 box into 3 manageable pieces. In hindsight, I should have just taken the left intake manifold out as the whole process took longer than expected. 10 hours split between 3 days, including a lot of tea breaks😊.

I reused the 986 MAF housing by making small alterations and inserting it into the bigger 987 housing. This worked a treat, if not, I would have needed the ECU to adjust for the 25% increase in airflow but I don't thinkt it wouldn't have detected. Therefore avoiding a very lean AFR and ECU remap.

Connected to the MAF is a 90mm-80mm 45 degree elbow reducer which I was very surprised it connected nicely to the throttle body. I haven't yet gone for the 74mm TB but instead ported and polished the original out to 70mm. 

I would say I'll never want to do that mod again. It was so time consuming having to cut and rip the old airbox out in little pieces with so little room to work with, some of the angles where almost impossible to work around😂😂.

On the test drive, it was immediately apparent that the throttle response improved, the car felt smoother, more eager and sounded amazing. A quick blast through the rev range showed much improvement in mid range torque and the power band seemed to stay on further towards the top end. More horse power? I would say yes but can't prove this without a RR, but more smiles definitely.

Would I recommend this mod, a big YES, but if you are to do this yourself then good luck and enjoy.

Edited by JL888

4 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Grilles are extra with the rears, he did offer but I had some mesh left over from when I did the grilles in the front bumper 😁

Do you mean the door pocket covers (the flap that opens up)? Mine were a nasty plastic which the colour had worn off clearly from many years of an arm resting there so I decided to go with alcantara to match my steering wheel plus I thought I'd struggle to get a colour match to the rest of the leather

Yeah I do the grills as an extra as some people want to make their own, use fabric or whatever they fancy. The grills take an extra 7hrs to make so I don't include em if they ain't going to be used. Easily retro fitted afterwards though if needed. Hope the brackets arrive in good shape Chris.

43 minutes ago, JL888 said:

I adopted the approach to cut the 987 box into 3 manageable pieces. In hindsight, I should have just taken the left intake manifold out as the whole process took longer than expected. 10 hours split between 3 days, including a lot of tea breaks😊.

I reused the 986 MAF housing by making small alterations and inserting it into the bigger 987 housing. This worked a treat, if not, I would have needed the ECU to adjust for the 25% increase in airflow but I don't thinkt it wouldn't have detected. Therefore avoiding a very lean AFR and ECU remap.

Connected to the MAF is a 90mm-80mm 45 degree elbow reducer which I was very surprised it connected nicely to the throttle body. I haven't yet gone for the 74mm TB but instead ported and polished the original out to 70mm. 

I would say I'll never want to do that mod again. It was so time consuming having to cut and rip the old airbox out in little pieces with so little room to work with, some of the angles where almost impossible to work around😂😂.

On the test drive, it was immediately apparent that the throttle response improved, the car felt smoother, more eager and sounded amazing. A quick blast through the rev range showed much improvement in mid range torque and the power band seemed to stay on further towards the top end. More horse power? I would say yes but can't prove this without a RR, but more smiles definitely.

Would I recommend this mod, a big YES, but if you are to do this yourself then good luck and enjoy.

hi , great job! 

do you have any pics?

ive wanted to do this myself and also the larger throttle body mod but just didn’t really want to go down the route of having to remap the ecu as i’ve not long gone through that with my turbo ed porsche. if you thing the TB is worth opening up i’d be interested in doing that myself and was wondering if making a total custom air box one day? if it would be easier?

Daniel 

1 minute ago, Dan944 said:

hi , great job! 

do you have any pics?

ive wanted to do this myself and also the larger throttle body mod but just didn’t really want to go down the route of having to remap the ecu as i’ve not long gone through that with my turbo ed porsche. if you thing the TB is worth opening up i’d be interested in doing that myself and was wondering if making a total custom air box one day? if it would be easier?

Daniel 

You don't need to remap it. You can just do the 996 plenum and throttle body without the 987 airbox. Not as much a gain perhaps but a quarter of the time.

1 hour ago, JL888 said:

Boxster S 986

Boxster S 986

1 hour ago, edc said:

Seems a shame to do all that and now bolt on the £35 996 plenum and £100 74mm TB. Good job nonetheless! 

Cheers, it's something to think about upgrading to when I get bored. Maybe next weekend 🤔

Edited by JL888

1 hour ago, Dan944 said:

hi , great job! 

do you have any pics?

Daniel 

Cheers Dan,

I think the challenge is getting the original airbox out and if you want to create your own custom box then that shouldn't be to much a task. Need to be well insulated from the engine temperatures and to consider utilising the airflow from the vent.

I've had good results with the TB with minimal effort. But will consider going down the larger plenum and TB route. 

cheers edc & jl888👍🏻 

this is all something i am considering for next year deffinately as for now have new coils and plugs to fit for this year and have my 944 turbo head to put back to free they ect. 

being that my 986 s is naturally aspirated i didn’t think that there was many areas to tweak but this has reguvinated my erg to start thinking about what to put in the list for next year. 

few questions: is it any benifit modding/ gutting out the original air filter housing?

which TB would be best if only doing this once?

when would i need to get a map and if so who do you suggest? i live in essex so any info would be appreciated, i would like to use someone that’s used to these for piece of mind. i travelled 600 round trip to get my 944 turbo live mapped and it was a tough days journey. but willing to travel if it’s worth going to a perticular guy within reason. 

i’m really interested in a bit more response other than top end, more around town pick up response more than anything as long as u don’t loose any torque of course. 

I’ve only had my 986 under a year so the motor is relatively a new challenge to me as i’m used to 944 engines and tuning those. this is quite different, so excuse me for asking something that’s been asked a million times. 

thanks all, 

Daniel 😊

25 minutes ago, John2000 said:

Sorry to read this Paul hope it's not too costly to repair 

Cheers John. Just paint damage, so hopefully some time with the DA will get it looking reasonable. 

Edited by PaulQ

On 9/18/2020 at 10:29 AM, John2000 said:

Sorry to read this Paul hope it's not too costly to repair 

ouch. This is the camera i use. Not HD by any means, but it works pretty good. 

Backup camera

although i do find it distracting and im not sure i trust reverse cameras just yet...

16 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Grills from Paul arrived so fitted and ready to go back in the car tomorrow afternoon 

itfhHjj.jpg

5dNpKBK.jpg 

Hi, I want to do this, but I have the CDR23 door speakers and 4 channel amp in the frunk, so wiring in the rear speakers will be a pain. 

Followed up on a couple of items raised at the recent service ready for the upcoming MOT. 

One number plate light not working - horrible design - but down to a corroded terminal.  I cleaned it up and sprayed with contact cleaner.  Now solved. 

Also had a general look around and I fear it may fail on coffin arm rubbers, the service noted that the front right tuning fork may be a concern, depends on the tester as ever.  If it fails on more than the tuning fork it may well be an opportunity to SORN the car for a couple of months at least to get a suspension refresh, new brake lines and caliper painting done before it is cold and wet in mid-winter.

Looks like the tape protecting the small split in the bottom corner of the plastic rear window might have to hold for some time before I can afford to change the hood for a glass windowed one...

Took the frint bumper off to paint the bumper vents and checK the rads for debris.

Discovered the AC condensers have been removed for some reason.🤔

Right rave to get it off, whoever had it off last used some choice screws to refit.

Will put it back together tomorrow.

20200919_18245520200919_182206

Edited by Knobgoblin

Fitted my new shiny wheel bolts, a huge improvement on the rusty ones so much so that I don't think I'll bother to put my bolt cover caps back on. 

Put my front number plate plinth back on. 

Discovered when doing the bolts that one of my front bump stops has deteriorated 😪

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SuperPaulie said:

Finally got round to installing my modified centre console (purists look away now). Original Porsche red leather hand rest and audio controller. Wireless charging in the cubby and moved the cigarette and USB ports to the other sides.

Bqo3LyN.jpg

tGzUk3f.jpg

Looks very cool to me, neat job!

19 minutes ago, Knobgoblin said:

Took the frint bumper off to paint the bumper vents and checK the rads for debris.

Discovered the AC condensers have been removed for some reason.🤔

Right rave to get it off, whoever had it off last used some choice screws to refit.

Will put it back together tomorrow.

20200919_18245520200919_182206

Can I ask if there’s much in the way of adjustment on the position of the bumper plastic? My bumper although it looks straight, is revealing the triangular gap in front of the headlamp unit, hard to explain, might post a pic. 

Hope your reassembly goes smoothly.