What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

32 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

This week it's had a major service, new rear ARB bushes and chain tensioner seals. Also done 820 miles this week ! 

I did 727 miles this weel in our four days going in the opposite direction too you guys 😁 

12 hours ago, JL888 said:

Winter is coming, so I decided to retro fit after market heated seat pads. Only had time this weekend to do the driver's seat. 😊

It's a big job, slow, delicate and time consuming but we worth the effort. 

interesting. Any pics?

Hi 

Funny you post this. I had the top down last night and my daughter commented that the heater works really well and all it needs now is heated seats. I have never wanted heated seats before in a car for even a moment. But as I sat there I thought actually maybe it might be nice. Must be getting older. Well, we all are!

Berni

I don't need the heated seats in my family car (though wife likes them) but in the Boxster they are excellent - top down in winter they make the difference between "ooh, a bit nippy" and "I'm fine thanks, what's the problem". No need to dress up in bulky clothes. Or at least for me, true that our temp doesn't really drop below 4C at the lowest.

MOT  passed today, advisories only on the rear tyres which I am replacing on Wednesday, the Michelin pilot sports I put on 18 months and 7k miles ago haven’t lasted long. I don’t particularly drive hard, how many miles do you guys get out of the rear tyres?

30 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

MOT  passed today, advisories only on the rear tyres which I am replacing on Wednesday, the Michelin pilot sports I put on 18 months and 7k miles ago haven’t lasted long. I don’t particularly drive hard, how many miles do you guys get out of the rear tyres?

Sounds like a wheel alignment issue and/or incorrect tyre pressure to me, do you know when the alignment was last done? You can verify this by uneven wear on the tyres. I had a problem with my rears only lasting similar mileage to yourself and realised the alignment was way off. I've now done around 15k miles on the current rears and no problems. I also get alignment done every 6 months. 

13 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

the Michelin pilot sports I put on 18 months and 7k miles ago haven’t lasted long. I don’t particularly drive hard,

Woah, something's seriously wrong there. Did the previous owner retrofit Launch Control without telling you?

On 10/5/2020 at 10:51 AM, Berni29 said:

Hi 

Funny you post this. I had the top down last night and my daughter commented that the heater works really well and all it needs now is heated seats. I have never wanted heated seats before in a car for even a moment. But as I sat there I thought actually maybe it might be nice. Must be getting older. Well, we all are!

Berni

Edited by Menoporsche

1 hour ago, Christopher2110 said:

That’s a very good video. 
I know there was talk on here before but did anyone ever manage to use OEM switches with aftermarket heated sets?

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I was contemplating to make it OEM, but wasn't sure about how the duel heating switch would work.

1 hour ago, Christopher2110 said:

That’s a very good video. 
I know there was talk on here before but did anyone ever manage to use OEM switches with aftermarket heated sets?

@topradio did something with the switches but not sure if it was OEM or aftermarket.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:51 AM, Berni29 said:

Hi 

Berni

Highly recommended. I'm so loving the warmth.

2 minutes ago, JL888 said:

Highly recommended. I'm so loving the warmth.

Hi

I have 987 seats and from what I can tell they are even more of a faff to do than the 986 seats. I would do it though!

Berni

12 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

The alignment was done before I bought the car and no work has been done at the rear. The wear is even across the tyre and I run them at 38 psi as recommended. 
maybe an alignment is required 

There’s something wrong, those tyres should last longer than 7K miles even if you were booting it every time you drove it. I’ve done 14K on my Goodyear Asymmetric 3’s with no sign of wear and I don’t hang around. I did have a geo check done at the same time as the tyres were fitted though.