What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

The difference is though when you do that and you are in it everyday is you then don't tend to take it out for a proper blast as much as you do when it is your 'fun' car. I had this with the M3 CSL, when it was my toy I was getting through rear tyres every 3-4k miles, then I started using it as a daily for 6 months and put 10k miles on it and the tyres were hardly even worn, because I wouldn't get home and take it out for a blast if I had been in it for 5 hours that day already. 

Exactly this, if you NEVER use it as a Porsche why have it,? If you do use it as a Porsche you won't get 24k or even 14k , out of the tyres. With regard to the tyres, why invest that much if you aren't driving it like a Porsche anyway, mentioning you have Michelin seems to be very important to some despite the fact that there appears to be no real world benefit.

I totally understand your logic all the way along, but if you are so tired of being in it that you don't EVER drive it properly????

18 minutes ago, Terryg said:

The difference is though when you do that and you are in it everyday is you then don't tend to take it out for a proper blast as much as you do when it is your 'fun' car. I had this with the M3 CSL, when it was my toy I was getting through rear tyres every 3-4k miles, then I started using it as a daily for 6 months and put 10k miles on it and the tyres were hardly even worn, because I wouldn't get home and take it out for a blast if I had been in it for 5 hours that day already. 

Exactly this, if you NEVER use it as a Porsche why have it,? If you do use it as a Porsche you won't get 24k or even 14k , out of the tyres. With regard to the tyres, why invest that much if you aren't driving it like a Porsche anyway, mentioning you have Michelin seems to be very important to some despite the fact that there appears to be no real world benefit.

I totally understand your logic all the way along, but if you are so tired of being in it that you don't EVER drive it properly????

You could argue that 24k miles was 4k hard miles and 20k miles cruising for them to last that long, compared with someone who did 7k hard miles and wore theirs out. 
If you can only have one car, you might still want the Porsche as you still want to do those hard 4k miles a year in it. What is the choice? Buy a boring mile muncher and never be able to have fun at the weekends, even if it is just for a couple of hours?

I did decide that I needed a mile muncher and a fun car, even if that meant having 2 older cars, nicer having two. Sometimes the thought of taking a sporty car doesn't appeal anywhere near as much as the 5 series, and of course vice versa. 

I will have to disagree on the Michelin thing though, definitely has to be an asymmetrical tyre on a RWD car for me, just so much more progressive, and the Michelin Pilot Sports really do offer something pretty special. 
I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrical 5's recently and was not over impressed with them, then went with PS4's and they were so good, turn in, bite on our crappy UK roads going into a corner and when the rear started to let go you could really feel it and reign it in nicely. The Goodyears in comparison actually gripped better, but when they went they suddenly snapped, which is not great. This was on my Z4 coupe though, the Boxster tends to have a far greater mechanical grip which tends to hide the differences more. 

I don't disagree regarding choice of cars, my point is, if you are never using it properly there is no point, personally I don't think it is possible to get 24k out of a set of rears if you have any fun in the car at all. I have an XF Sportbrake for my DD and I find it the perfect foil for the 986 as well as providing much needed practicality.

I had PS2 when I got the car, IMHO they did not offer me anything over the Kumhos I have now that are much respected on here by much harder drivers than me and are a lot cheaper, however it is the name dropping that gets me, very PCGB🙄

8 minutes ago, Terryg said:

I don't disagree regarding choice of cars, my point is, if you are never using it properly there is no point, personally I don't think it is possible to get 24k out of a set of rears if you have any fun in the car at all. I have an XF Sportbrake for my DD and I find it the perfect foil for the 986 as well as providing much needed practicality.

I had PS2 when I got the car, IMHO they did not offer me anything over the Kumhos I have now that are much respected on here by much harder drivers than me and are a lot cheaper, however it is the name dropping that gets me, very PCGB🙄

I don't shred tyres but still love owning my Boxster. You don't have to drive like a nutter to get enjoyment out of it. Had mine 8yrs btw.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

I don't shred tyres but still love owning my Boxster. You don't have to drive like a nutter to get enjoyment out of it. Had mine 8yrs btw.

You don't have to drive like a nutter to destroy the tyres.

I don't really know the Kumho range, but had KU39's on my 18" M3 wheels, they were on the wheels when I bought them, I have to say I really thought they were pretty good. They didn't last very long at all, but I didn't care as they were on the wheels and I had bought the wheels with them as an added bonus, but they were a good tyre. 

Edited by gIzzE

11 hours ago, Terryg said:

Yep totally get that, the key phrase is "committed enough", everyone is entitled to buy their car for whatever reason and use their car as they please but reading some stuff on here really has me scratching my head sometimes. I was fortunate to enough meet some likeminded people up in this wonderful part of the world shortly after buying my car and I am grateful to them and Porsche for giving me some wonderful memories, rest assured we don't concern ourselves with how many miles we get from our tyres or what name is written on them.

I'm bothered about what tyres go on the car in so far as I want something half decent and good value. If I was really bothered about brand names DIY mods wouldn't be on my car 😂 I do think though just like hobbies some people are more enthusiastic than others and some get their driving kicks elsewhere. 

37 minutes ago, Terryg said:

To be fair, the PS2 is now a 17 year old tyre. The PS4, Pilot Super Sport or the PS4s which is somewhere between the two offer considerably more than the PS2. 

To be fair the MIchelin Pilot Sports get mentioned on ever forum whatever the marque, but then there is a reason for it. 

However, I think some of the other tyres out there are offering some great offerings too, and as you say, often at a better price. Mind you, with the £50 OFF promo Michelin keep doing combined with the fully fitted deals with Blackcircles, I have had a couple of full sets recently for around £380. Even some of the budget brands are only £20 a corner cheaper, so seemed worth it to me. 

Edited by gIzzE

38 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Haha fair enough we'll have to disagree then. I'll just carry on enjoying mine in my own way.🙂

Your term "like a nutter" suggests it is not safe, the guys I drive with have not been involved in any incidents, they are an age range from 30 ish through to 60 ish, most have other cars as well which is a factor but I guarantee none of them gets 14 to 24k miles out of their tyres.

35 minutes ago, edc said:

I'm bothered about what tyres go on the car in so far as I want something half decent and good value. If I was really bothered about brand names DIY mods wouldn't be on my car 😂 I do think though just like hobbies some people are more enthusiastic than others and some get their driving kicks elsewhere. 

I am not suggesting anyone buy ditchfinders, but be honest, how many times have you been at a meeting or on a forum and you hear people banging on about the brand of tyre they use and how they couldn't possibly use anything else, they are often the very ones that drive like old women. Anyway perfectly happy to publicly accept every other point of view put forward and privately disagree with it.

I really don't approve of @mvw new hobby, really ricer behaviour rather than Porsche owner, but each to his own.

1 hour ago, Boxsum said:

When I bought mine the owner had put tyres on it called ‘Sunny’ to get it through the m.o.t as he was selling it.

After driving it home and nearly rupturing my eardrums I put on 4 new Michelin’s N3’s and what a transformation. 

Did someone mention Sunny tyres? Welcome to my world 🤣. Just prior to me purchasing my Boxster, the previous owner did the same and had Sunny tyres fitted on the rear and now 6 years later they are still there. Never noticed them to be loud but they do slide around a lot and that is just in the dry🤣.

6 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Did someone mention Sunny tyres? Welcome to my world 🤣. Just prior to me purchasing my Boxster, the previous owner did the same and had Sunny tyres fitted on the rear and now 6 years later they are still there. Never noticed them to be loud but they do slide around a lot and that is just in the dry🤣.

Good job you live in Spain, I thought I was lucky to get home on our wet roads  😂😂😂😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

Good job you live in Spain, I thought I was lucky to get home on our wet roads  😂😂😂😂😂😂

I luckily have never driven on wet roads in my Boxster. I think with these tyres it would be a challenge!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Changed the original shifter to shortshifter.

The original shifter had a good amount of play on the movements while the new shortshifter is very solid and precise. I sweppaed both, the shifter and the housing, so the change back is easy and quick, should I choose to do so :)

wiP9rsI.jpg

Was this pretty easy to do? My shifter is all over the place, I've seen the adjustment videos but I cant make out what it achieves as seeing some guy twizzle the cables with no explanation makes no sense. But this seems a better solution. I'm suprised it's so vague and all over tbh, feel like I'm looking in other countries for the next gear.

26 minutes ago, Knobgoblin said:

Was this pretty easy to do? My shifter is all over the place, I've seen the adjustment videos but I cant make out what it achieves as seeing some guy twizzle the cables with no explanation makes no sense. But this seems a better solution. I'm suprised it's so vague and all over tbh, feel like I'm looking in other countries for the next gear.

Easy swap over all. Just to remove the center console first and after that the shifter housing.

I purchased the Porcshe tool to lock the shifter in exactly correct position for the shiftercable install, but the shortshifter is too high and the tool could not be used. Instead, I made sure that the gear was in neutral adn used the leveling tool (also mobile phones shoud have this) to first level the left to right movement to dead center and connected the left cable to that position on the shifter. Then worked on the front to back position on the shifter in a same way and connected the right side cable to the shifter.

Re-installed the center console and then all was done.

I plan to try to sort out the original shifter a bit tighter condition during the upcoming winter months.

• Like 1

Took each wheel off in turn and soaked every suspension nut, bolt & bush in Plus Gas ready to start the suspension rebuild.  Will do the same again next weekend.  Best odds on minimising seized or works shearing bolts I hope. 🤞

Edited by ½cwt

New rear tyres on, new CV gaiters and went for 4 corner alignment, the rears were out quite badly so that could explain my limited mileagefrom the last set. 
The alignment guy tried the eccentric bolts but they were corroded stuck. 
so back home managed to free one but the other will have to be cut out. 
Now all new rear suspension has been ordered for both sides....well I had nothing else to do🤣🤣