What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Another years MOT sorted. This time failed on both front sidelights and one rear side not working. I managed to convince them that the fronts were working fine, but had to male a quick dash down to Halfords store in Northampton to buy a new rear bulb. Fair play to Halfords Autocentre in Northampton though.. they passed it an hour later when I returned with the new bulb fitted.

Not bad for over 24 years old...happy for another year🙂

I put the standard 17" rims back and an went down to local Kwik Fit who have Hunter gear and a good geo technician.  After almost an hour on the ramp and tweaks to rear toe and camber combined to get the rear toe geo correct and then the front sorted too.  £85 later and a fully green sheet and it sits well based on a quick blast I took it on.  Now to refit the 18" rims this afternoon.  I think I've worked out that I need to use the standard 17" wheels as 'set up rims' in future.

Hopefully nothing more major to do on it for a while... 🤞

Ly2BoBR.jpg 

Note: I noticed too late that they put the Sport (M030) setting in the tracking machine, but the numbers are all within the standard (X029 which is what my car is) setting ranges.

• Like 2

Replaced the corroded hard brake pipe from front of the car to the junction underneath on N/S.

Old pipe snapped like carrot in 3 places. The car had an MOT end of January and the corroded pipe which was clearly visible wasn't even mentioned as an advisory, MOT tester needs to go to Spec Savers.

Brakes bled with new fluid and they feel fantastic now.

On 5/16/2023 at 11:51 AM, fizz said:

After a long time coming I finally washed the car after having the full suspension refresh done.its got 20mm spacers on the rear and 15mm fronts. 

T04XeSX.jpg

f8dgk4J.jpg

Had a very shyate alignment done which at least straightend the wheels out but the rest needs redping.booked in tomorrow lunchtime for it. 

I've shared this elsewhere but for those who didn't get to laugh at it.

M6UqXLg.jpg

@fizz Do the wheels clear the arch with 15 & 20mm scacers?

I was told on the facelift 5mm was the max unless I changed the wheels. Mine has Carrerra Cups on like the Anniversary.

15 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

@fizz Do the wheels clear the arch with 15 & 20mm scacers?

I was told on the facelift 5mm was the max unless I changed the wheels. Mine has Carrerra Cups on like the Anniversary.

No issues with mine at all mate and i put them on before the suspension refresh when the shocks were shoddy and crumbling springs. 

• Thanks 1

There a pic in my Molly thread where I put on 20mm spacers on the rear.  They looked silly with the 996 10" rims,ir a bit Carlos Fandango. but they were still legal and driveable.

I've prob still got the spacers in the shed if you wanted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patt said:

There a pic in my Molly thread where I put on 20mm spacers on the rear.  They looked silly with the 996 10" rims,ir a bit Carlos Fandango. but they were still legal and driveable.

Even the 10" rims @Patt refers to with no spacers fill the arch nicely, +20mm on that, definitely Carlos Fandango and may be not actually legal. (Ignore the ding in the bumper, this was paid for by the other driver who did it...)

XhvWTtV.jpg 

On 5/20/2023 at 12:43 PM, ½cwt said:

I put the standard 17" rims back and an went down to local Kwik Fit who have Hunter gear and a good geo technician.  After almost an hour on the ramp and tweaks to rear toe and camber combined to get the rear toe geo correct and then the front sorted too.  £85 later and a fully green sheet and it sits well based on a quick blast I took it on.  Now to refit the 18" rims this afternoon.  I think I've worked out that I need to use the standard 17" wheels as 'set up rims' in future.

Hopefully nothing more major to do on it for a while... 🤞

Ly2BoBR.jpg 

Note: I noticed too late that they put the Sport (M030) setting in the tracking machine, but the numbers are all within the standard (X029 which is what my car is) setting ranges.

I totally missed this before mate! Congrats on that outcome! 

Is it on non m030 springs? If so that would explain why my chap was having issues getting into green for the rear camber due to it being lowered. 

22 hours ago, Patt said:

Thanks @Patt I would like to try, but just done the 5mm with some new bolts and I would need longer bolts again for the 20mm spacers. Where will all end! :suicide_anim:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fizz said:

I totally missed this before mate! Congrats on that outcome! 

Is it on non m030 springs? If so that would explain why my chap was having issues getting into green for the rear camber due to it being lowered. 

The camber is a bit more on M030 by 10 minutes front and rear due to the lowering of the top of the strut, but a bit of extra camber doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

Thanks @Patt I would like to try, but just done the 5mm with some new bolts and I would need longer bolts again for the 20mm spacers. Where will all end! :suicide_anim:

I should have them bolts too.  They were shinny silver ones.

Tell you wat I'll do , I'll have a dig round the shed and see If I can out it all together and then I'll ping them up on the here for you, if you don't want I'll stick them in the for sale.

It might motivate me to drag a few more bits out and set rid too.

Started Work on the headlights, long way to go but one's coming along nicely  🙂 , will see how they come on and once finished cleaning up and polished up, get them sealed with good old Meguiars producs to stop them yellowing again.

Just made a start with a polishing compound and my machine polisher.

596f2492-32a5-495c-8bd6-f0b88f28d8bc (2).png

• Like 1

I think it prob takes about the same amount of time to dive under the bonnet, remove the insulation, remove the bolts, disconnect the lamp and slide it out as it did to pop on the masking tape . I had no reason or need to remove the lamp or interfere with the 20 year old rubber seals that might let water I. After removal or interfering with the wiring that has also. Ever been disconnected. Is that the answer you were looking for ? “Cough” 

• Haha 1

Each to their own mate, i think the point of the suggestion was the unit itself is easier to sand when it's off the car rather than the time it takes to take it out. 

I've had mine out about 7 times in 2 years and theres no wiring to concern yourself over. The whole unit just slides out without any exposed wires to worry about exposing. 👍

As I said, we all have our own prefered methods. I know I can be clumsy so would be safer for my fat hands to be away from the paintwork when sanding. 🤣

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenman986s said:

Isn't it easier to remove the headlamp ?

16 minutes ago, L14m said:

I think it prob takes about the same amount of time to dive under the bonnet, remove the insulation, remove the bolts, disconnect the lamp and slide it out as it did to pop on the masking tape . I had no reason or need to remove the lamp or interfere with the 20 year old rubber seals that might let water I. After removal or interfering with the wiring that has also. Ever been disconnected. Is that the answer you were looking for ? “Cough” 

Apologies I took this in the wrong context , got a bit keyboard happy with the reply. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Patt said:

I should have them bolts too.  They were shinny silver ones.

Tell you wat I'll do , I'll have a dig round the shed and see If I can out it all together and then I'll ping them up on the here for you, if you don't want I'll stick them in the for sale.

It might motivate me to drag a few more bits out and set rid too.

Nice one @Patt. Let me know what you find in the Grotto. 🤙🏻

Today I have the car a good shakedown test in North Leeds countryside to test the suspensions etc. 

All felt solid but different to what I was used to for almost 2 years of driving on 20 year old suspension.

Interestingly since I replaced the knackered exhaust clamps with proper oem wide ones from Porsche,  I've not had the James bond plooms of smoke I used to get randomly when getting the car running hot on a spirited run. 

I know it's got a cracked oil filler neck too apparently and that can lend itself to causing issues with the aos as well but I think it was the loose exhaust clamps playing havoc with the o2 sensor post cat.

I'm now in two minds on whether to replace the AOS yet.

Edited by fizz

Not quite done to the car, but the latest edition of Originale arrived from Porsche Classic.  Looking forward to passing a few idle moments reading it.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Not quite done to the car, but the latest edition of Originale arrived from Porsche Classic.  Looking forward to passing a few idle moments reading it.

Yes - I received mine too. Nice protective sleeve and hard back no less! I hope the 986 classic status continues with these unexpected gifts😃