What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Not today but last thing I did was clar bar 2/3 of the car before I had to go rescue the wife in the civic which decided to drop the metal engine under tray into a snow plough position whilst on the motorway. 

Also tried it on the headlamps too which felt rough as hell to the touch but wasn't expecting much from it but they came up decent aswell. 

icQMof8.jpg

c2tV7Pv.jpg

• Like 3

Went to pickup the hardtop last night local to me, could get the mount bolts off, the first one rounded off so I gave up.

On the way over, the car developed a stutter at 2k revs, those goes after 2.5k revs, never happened before.

Design 911 want £148 for the hardtop fixing kit or £134 with discount. I’ll give my local OPC a call this morning 

Edited by skullandbiscuits

On 6/4/2023 at 11:43 PM, fizz said:

Although after I took that pic I pulled the wire out of the clip it ran through to allow easier pulling when needed. 

b02JZ7E.jpg

I was a tad worried that some scrote would take advantage of this,  as it is common knowledge, and get into the car so I taped it to the cross-member with a part of the loop across the middle.

When you looked in all you can see is a black plastic surface but if you want to activate the manual pull you insert the nose of pointy nosed pliers to puncture the tape and pull.

Never needed the manual release or the towing eye in 11 years of ownership but I do like to be prepared, dyb dyb dyb  :)

• Like 1

One Litronic blew, after 20 years. Replaced both this morning, with Osram DS2's - £53.98 from the Jungle - a lot cheaper than from OPC or Design911.

Rerouted emergency frunk cable to aperture just below tow-eye and cable tied to hold it there (snap little tie when required to use it).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, EXY said:

I was a tad worried that some scrote would take advantage of this,  as it is common knowledge, and get into the car so I taped it to the cross-member with a part of the loop across the middle.

When you looked in all you can see is a black plastic surface but if you want to activate the manual pull you insert the nose of pointy nosed pliers to puncture the tape and pull.

Never needed the manual release or the towing eye in 11 years of ownership but I do like to be prepared, dyb dyb dyb  :)

In this day and age I don't think us lowly 986 have to worry about that with all the modern expensive cars. 

The days of putting a locking wheel bolt on a 17" are long gone as well. 

5 minutes ago, fizz said:

In this day and age I don't think us lowly 986 have to worry about that with all the modern expensive cars. 

The days of putting a locking wheel bolt on a 17" are long gone as well. 

Indeed - I removed mine when I replaced the corroded original bolts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skullandbiscuits said:

Went to pickup the hardtop last night local to me, could get the mount bolts off, the first one rounded off so I gave up.

On the way over, the car developed a stutter at 2k revs, those goes after 2.5k revs, never happened before.

Design 911 want £148 for the hardtop fixing kit or £134 with discount. I’ll give my local OPC a call this morning 

£108 from OPC Bristol

3 hours ago, Amaboknaai said:

One Litronic blew, after 20 years. Replaced both this morning, with Osram DS2's - £53.98 from the Jungle - a lot cheaper than from OPC or Design911.

Rerouted emergency frunk cable to aperture just below tow-eye and cable tied to hold it there (snap little tie when required to use it).

Replace both, you will see a difference.

2 hours ago, fizz said:

I think he did.... 

;) 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Several people with eyesight problems today. Has anyone checked for triffids?

Too much wine and Jaffa Cakes, I blame @Patt  :laugh:

• Haha 1

Put new tuning forks from Spyder Performance on the rear to hopefully get rid of my low speed clonking.  It didn't resolve it so back to the drawing board.  Coffin arms are good and were done just before I got the car 18 months ago.  Now has new rear tuning forks and I have replaced rear droplinks and anti roll bar bushes.  It only really leaves shocks and/or top mounts, perhaps the rear toe arm.  Car drives fantastically well but these noises develop when it has got warm after driving a while.  The noise isn't there from cold.

I'm stumped.

2 minutes ago, Winster said:

Put new tuning forks from Spyder Performance on the rear to hopefully get rid of my low speed clonking.  It didn't resolve it so back to the drawing board.  Coffin arms are good and were done just before I got the car 18 months ago.  Now has new rear tuning forks and I have replaced rear droplinks and anti roll bar bushes.  It only really leaves shocks and/or top mounts, perhaps the rear toe arm.  Car drives fantastically well but these noises develop when it has got warm after driving a while.  The noise isn't there from cold.

I'm stumped.

If its not from cold and its from the rear could it be exhaust related? 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

Gearbox oil change - can’t notice any difference

i plan to do mine at some point as a lot of owners have seen a difference but i reckon i'll be the same as you. lol

Yesterday was a full service at Cotswold Porsche.

Oil and filter

gearbox oil

plugs and coils

retrofit OBC & cruise control with new column stalks

and a comprehensive report of things to monitor and address over next 24 months, including new roof cable, rear discs / pads and handbrake cable.

it felt like a new car driving home.

1 hour ago, Everywhen said:

Gearbox oil change - can’t notice any difference

Front tuning forks replaced - No more clonks! Yay!

Wait until winter when the oil gets really cold, it is also more of an impact on the 6 speed S gearbox but fresh oil never does any harm.  If the old oil smelled bad, goo call to change it.

Edited by ½cwt

54 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

Yesterday was a full service at Cotswold Porsche.

Oil and filter

gearbox oil

plugs and coils

retrofit OBC & cruise control with new column stalks

and a comprehensive report of things to monitor and address over next 24 months, including new roof cable, rear discs / pads and handbrake cable.

it felt like a new car driving home.

Comprehensive (and costly :unsure:) visit.

Started giving it a new to me clean , wash ,detar, wash ,claybar, wash….cleaned and conditioned the full leather interior. 
need to sort the factory carbon bits , one or two panels are loose and the steering wheel gel coat is cracked .

any suggestions 

next job is to machine it

[img]https://i.ibb.co/qpQBPN1/D7005-BCA-2403-4-F72-8317-378-A8-E4-D51-FC.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/F6CN6rh/12-BB6-B9-E-D845-4-CCF-9-B3-A-992-B665-B83-CC.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/44KHBYG/IMG-2002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VWvzMzR/IMG-2001.jpg[/img]

Edited by zagamuffin

Took it out on its first trip since I got back from Le Mans. Went to Birmingham to see an up and coming band called The E Street Band with a lead singer from Freehold, New Jersey. Handy with a guitar and a good crowd entertainer. Bruce someone IIRC, he was Born in the USA.

• Haha 2