Boxster ride height measurement

edc

I've had this for some time and in an idle moment rediscovered it so thought it would be useful to post up.

Note the slight back to front rake. I recall when I switched to the Tiptronic M030 on my manual S that the rake was increased to something over 10mm from the otherwise 'standard' 6mm.

Boxster_Ride_Heights_21465221709.jpg

Boxster_Ride_Heights_11465221695.jpg

46 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Thanks for that @edc, wanted to check how much my suspension has sagged after 140k miles when I grounded it out over a undulating road the other day ?

Plenty I guess is the answer. When putting on the M030 on my 2000 65k ish S. It barely lowered it at all, possibly even raising it by a couple of mm. 

Oddly Center Gravity noted that my c.97k-at-the-time 986S was bang-on factory-spec height on one axle and 2mm up on th'other... :wacko:

Cheers, Baggers.

14 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Oddly Center Gravity noted that my c.97k-at-the-time 986S was bang-on factory-spec height on one axle and 2mm up on th'other... :wacko:

Cheers, Baggers.

I can see that happening too. It's not like the front and rear are independent from each other :D 

1 hour ago, edc said:

I can see that happening too. It's not like the front and rear are independent from each other :D 

My point was that there isn't always a 'sag' at high miles....

Not in terms of suspension, anyway (. Y .) :o:P

Cheers, Baggers.

Well, that explains the grounding at the back during 'spirited' driving. Just had a quick rough check of the ride height, and front of mine with 17" wheels is 144mm, so within the tolerance of 148 +\- 10mm. This rings true as the front suspension did have the springs replaced. The rear however was well out at 127mm against the spec of 144 +\- 10mm. You can tell this just by checking the wheel clearance in each wheel arch.

Looks like an overhaul of the rear suspension is on the horizon for next year. Certainly new springs and see what condition the rest of the components are in.

My rears were catching the inner arches at speed when I hit a slight depression in the road - the rebound on the shocks had gone....but you can only really check that by removing them.

I'm loving my new suspension : Bilstein B4's with manual M030 springs, new drop links and front top mounts.

17 minutes ago, Patt said:

My rears were catching the inner arches at speed when I hit a slight depression in the road - the rebound on the shocks had gone....but you can only really check that by removing them.

I'm loving my new suspension : Bilstein B4's with manual M030 springs, new drop links and front top mounts.

Hi Patt, when you renewed the front top mounts did you also replace the strut bearings?

Cheers, Baggers.

No, I seem to remember they were passed as good.  The top mounts were still ok, but I decided that  as they were just starting to look a bit perished they should get replaced , rather than visit the same job twice. Alignment etc twice.

also had bump stops and covers, whilst I'm thinking about it as they were shot.

Archived