Sundry additions to your 981

JohnSyn

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:33 PM, JohnSyn said:

The Spyder is on the sports chassis and is 20mm lower. Great handling but the rubbing strip under the front spoiler takes a bit of a beating! Great driving experience though! 

So for the Zunsport grills set ... did you go black or silver finish ?  I've a white 981 Boxster S ... and am considering the black look ... full set, 3 front, 2 rear and 2 side ... they look pretty good on the website, in person do they fit well and are they as easy to fit as they say they are John ?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

black look less bling...

there are some who have had a problem fitting them but Zunsport are friendly enough I believe...

I just refitted my front ones after the bumper was resprayed and this time I secured them with zip ties but they had been on before for 2 years (?) before with none and no issues..

13 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

black look less bling...

there are some who have had a problem fitting them but Zunsport are friendly enough I believe...

I just refitted my front ones after the bumper was resprayed and this time I secured them with zip ties but they had been on before for 2 years (?) before with none and no issues..

Cool so you'd recommend them overall ... I was thinking black so good to have a second opinion ... are there any other makes out there that I should consider prior to choosing potentially these ?

I have the black Zunnsport grills on the front of my white GTS, they look great and finish the car off, whilst doing the job required of them.

They are a bit of a faff to fit, but once on they have never moved, regardless of speed or weather conditions, I would recommend them to anyone.

IMHO, black is more discreet looking and a no-brainer for a white car.  Regarding fitting, the experience seems to vary from person to person. The front ones on my red 981 fitted very well after a bit of fettling to adjust the curvature.  They come in three separate pieces for each side.This was my experience :

9 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

IMHO, black is more discreet looking and a no-brainer for a white car.  Regarding fitting, the experience seems to vary from person to person. The front ones on my red 981 fitted very well after a bit of fettling to adjust the curvature.  They come in three separate pieces for each side.This was my experience :

That's really helpful Dan ... cheers ... so any recommendation for the side ones too  ?  Aesthetic wise ? 

20 minutes ago, runner said:

That's really helpful Dan ... cheers ... so any recommendation for the side ones too  ?  Aesthetic wise ? 

I've no experience of the side grilles, sorry. I prefer my cars as standard as possible, but wanted to protect  the condensers and radiators from stone damage and leaf ingress.  (I previously had to replace the condensers on my former 987 because of stone damage after 30k miles.)  

Incidentally, contrary to what I thought when I wrote the above, I didn't have to remove the grilles when the car went into Colchester OPC for its first service.  The Service Manager confirmed that non-OEM parts would only be an issue for the inspection needed prior to taking out a warranty extension.

Regarding the side grilles, I'm sure someone else on here will be able to help, though.

On 13/11/2016 at 8:33 PM, JohnSyn said:

The Spyder is on the sports chassis and is 20mm lower. Great handling but the rubbing strip under the front spoiler takes a bit of a beating! Great driving experience though! 

The good news is that the part is not that expensive. I've forgotten the exact price, but it was certainly under 200, and more like 100.

My friend asked an OPC about it earlier this year and relaxed me about it as I've had the occasional scrape as expected (especially a few ground outs in the French alpine passes) - not a nice feeling!

Black looks better, I tried the silver but looked cheap and naff. If you are unsure about fitting, they will do it for you, they can be a bit fiddly. They are near cannok. I have the full set and really add to the looks of the car. You won't regret it.

1 minute ago, mneil said:

Black looks better, I tried the silver but looked cheap and naff. If you are unsure about fitting, they will do it for you, they can be a bit fiddly. They are near cannok. I have the full set and really add to the looks of the car. You won't regret it.

Thanks mneil ... For your advice. If you chose to have them fitted am curious how much extra was that on top of the cost of the full set of grills please ? It maybe you diy'd but thought I'd ask just in case ! 

2 hours ago, runner said:

Cool so you'd recommend them overall ... I was thinking black so good to have a second opinion ... are there any other makes out there that I should consider prior to choosing potentially these ?

Yes I would recommend them, I dont know any other people that make similar...(unless you want to DIY some Halfords mesh which I did on the 987 for a tenner, I dont want to do that again!)

the fronts

the rears

3 hours ago, runner said:

I have the fronts and backs (in black) on mine, and my experience of fitting them is similar to others - a bit fiddly and worth taking a bit of time to get them just right, but not something I would pay garage prices to have someone else do.

Regarding the side grilles - have a look at the pictures on the Zunsport website - for some reason I don't think they look anywhere near as 'original' as the fronts or backs and I can't say I've ever been bothered about something being drawn into the side intakes (the back grilles I admit are just cosmetic).

11 hours ago, runner said:

So for the Zunsport grills set ... did you go black or silver finish ?  I've a white 981 Boxster S ... and am considering the black look ... full set, 3 front, 2 rear and 2 side ... they look pretty good on the website, in person do they fit well and are they as easy to fit as they say they are John ?

I put Zunsport grills on both the rear and front of my previous car, a 981S. It was a black car and the grills were black. They looked really good and I'd certainly recommend them. my Spyder had grills fitted by Porsche as standard but the car is silver and it has black grills which look great, to me. Therefore I'd recommend black grills. Its obviously up to you but unless you are thinking of a GTS diffuser I'd fit the rear Zunsport grills to. To my mind they finish off the car.

I found them easy to fit, only took a couple of hours to fit the lot. 

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

The good news is that the part is not that expensive. I've forgotten the exact price, but it was certainly under 200, and more like 100.

My friend asked an OPC about it earlier this year and relaxed me about it as I've had the occasional scrape as expected (especially a few ground outs in the French alpine passes) - not a nice feeling!

That's good, thanks for this. Yes, the sound is alarming! The guy at the OPC  told me, to get the marks out of the strip, just to rub it down with emery cloth. Haven't tried that yet but in view of low cost think I must just as well wait for a bit longer and get a new strip fitted, after next European road trip I suspect!

2 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

I put Zunsport grills on both the rear and front of my previous car, a 981S. It was a black car and the grills were black. They looked really good and I'd certainly recommend them. my Spyder had grills fitted by Porsche as standard but the car is silver and it has black grills which look great, to me. Therefore I'd recommend black grills. Its obviously up to you but unless you are thinking of a GTS diffuser I'd fit the rear Zunsport grills to. To my mind they finish off the car.

I found them easy to fit, only took a couple of hours to fit the lot. 

Thanks for coming back and answering my questions John .. Appreciated.

One final question then if I may ... So as you fitted all yourself ... Did you use the 2 screws method to fix them ... Cable ties or just put them on and use nothing to keep them in position ? 

2 hours ago, runner said:

One final question then if I may ... So as you fitted all yourself ... Did you use the 2 screws method to fix them ... Cable ties or just put them on and use nothing to keep them in position ? 

you have to use screws for the centre grill, there is no other way for it to fit (no tabs etc on the grill)

the fronts on mine were NON zip tied originally but this time I used them (you'd need to see how you feel when you fit them)

the rears on mine have no zip ties and stay in fine 

5 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

That's good, thanks for this. Yes, the sound is alarming! The guy at the OPC  told me, to get the marks out of the strip, just to rub it down with emery cloth. Haven't tried that yet but in view of low cost think I must just as well wait for a bit longer and get a new strip fitted, after next European road trip I suspect!

I just checked back through my emails, and Porsche East London wanted £182 including VAT for the part and a further £162 inc for fitting. I'm confident it could be fitted ourselves.

Apologies for semi-derail of thread!

45 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I just checked back through my emails, and Porsche East London wanted £182 including VAT for the part and a further £162 inc for fitting. I'm confident it could be fitted ourselves.

Apologies for semi-derail of thread!

Thanks for the info, really helpful. If you lift the car on stands I don't see it is that difficult to replace the strip unless there is some dismantling to do.

And please don't worry about different topics on this thread, it adds to the interest!

4 hours ago, runner said:

No problem at all. I just fitted them, no cable ties etc. There are tabs on the grills that hold them in place plus you can bend them further if you want. As Stuart says, the middle grill on the front can only be attached by screws.  When I swopped the 981S in for my current car I took them off, the OPC would have done than anyway!, and sold them on here. The guy who purchased the front ones ( sorry...forgotten who!) had one fall out but I'm sure Zunsport replaced it free of charge.  

59 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

No problem at all. I just fitted them, no cable ties etc. There are tabs on the grills that hold them in place plus you can bend them further if you want. As Stuart says, the middle grill on the front can only be attached by screws.  When I swopped the 981S in for my current car I took them off, the OPC would have done than anyway!, and sold them on here. The guy who purchased the front ones ( sorry...forgotten who!) had one fall out but I'm sure Zunsport replaced it free of charge.  

So just so I'm clear ... do the screws just screw into the plastic coves that are already on the front ... self tapping ?

3 minutes ago, runner said:

So just so I'm clear ... do the screws just screw into the plastic coves that are already on the front ... self tapping ?

That's exactly right, they screw into the plastic.

Well, I may be in the minority here, but I prefer the look of my BGTS without grills.  I do tend to prefer keeping the car looking as Porsche intended (if they thought grills were a good idea they would sell them as an extra).   The GTS in particular has an attractive aggressive look from the front and I like it.  The Zunsport ones may be good quality, but they don't lend themselves to frequent emoval and refitting -  and that would be a problem for me - the GTS as standard is so very easy to put hands in to remove debris (or vacuum) plus a hose to wash out accumulated small particles and dust.  I fully realise the risk of a larger stone doing damage, but I don't do a high mileage and it's a risk I'm prepared to take - the cost of the grills would go a long way towards a new rad unit.

Archived