Sundry additions to your 981

JohnSyn

It may be I'm getting a bit stir crazy this afternoon but I was thinking it would be interesting to find out what small additions you have made to your 981 which have been successful.

To get the ball rolling I recently bought one of those mirror wind deflectors from Suncoast. I was pleasantly surprised as to how much they reduce wind noise with the window down.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put a personal plate on the car and ordered ones with a full colour Porsche Crest on them ... that's about it sadly ... but would like to know what other sundry items people have chosen to add on.

Courtesy of you Jon, I replaced the mesh wind deflector with a clear glass deflector. So much better for rear visibility. Zunsport grills on the front, no leaves getting into the rads.

Kevin

Clear wind deflector

zunsport front grill set

zunsport side pod grill set

silver roll over hoops

GTS rear valance on bumper 

plus not an all year round addition winter alloys/tyres for the cold season. I expect to put these on in the next 2 weeks or so. 

Thinking about adding next: 

sports air filters 

991 side repeaters

51 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Courtesy of you Jon, I replaced the mesh wind deflector with a clear glass deflector. So much better for rear visibility. Zunsport grills on the front, no leaves getting into the rads.

Kevin

I was thinking of doing the same, but read elsewhere that the glass windows deflector actually increased wind noise with the roof down.  Any thoughts on this,  @Kevin G?

My 981 was nicely specced by the previous owner, so I've added nothing aftermarket other than my personal plate and Zunsport front grilles.  Interested in seeing what others have done though, as Christmas is coming! ?

• Led side repeaters 
  • Gts rear diffuser 
  • 35w bi-xenon upgrade
  • H7 main beam bulb upgrade 
  • Smd footwell upgrade
  • Smd frunk/trunk upgrade
  • Front radiator grilles
  • Body colour roll hoops
  • Trunk load cover
  • Colour matched key + fob
  • OE Illuminated sills 
  • Puddle lights retrofit
  • Smokers pack retro fit

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

Kevin

i must admit thats the only thing i dislike about my 981 is the mesh ...where did you get the clear from please?

BMC filters,looking at a personal plate and home made mesh behind the bumper as i dont like Zunsports :)

Si

1 hour ago, tcornet said:

Clear wind deflector

zunsport front grill set

zunsport side pod grill set

silver roll over hoops

GTS rear valance on bumper 

plus not an all year round addition winter alloys/tyres for the cold season. I expect to put these on in the next 2 weeks or so. 

Thinking about adding next: 

sports air filters 

991 side repeaters

Clear wind deflector wise ... can I ask where you sourced it from please ? 

I found two sources of clear wind deflectors;

www.pedrosgarage.com ; an American outfit which supplies clear Perspex panels. Its the one I sold to Kevin mentioned above

and

www.UR-Windschott.de ; A German manufacturer of glass replacement to the mesh ones. I bought one of these as I sold my Perspex one to Kevin, thinking the Spyder would have a different size wind deflector, and it didn't!  

3 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

I found two sources of clear wind deflectors;

www.pedrosgarage.com ; an American outfit which supplies clear Perspex panels. Its the one I sold to Kevin mentioned above

and

www.UR-Windschott.de ; A German manufacturer of glass replacement to the mesh ones. I bought one of these as I sold my Perspex one to Kevin, thinking the Spyder would have a different size wind deflector, and it didn't!  

And to answer Daniel's question on increased wind noise, I'm not aware of any increase though with my hearing that's not really a qualified opinion?

I bought in three clear wind deflectors from Pedro's in the states and sold the surplus to members on here.

IMO the solid deflector does increase wind buffeting slightly compared to the mesh one, I haven't tried it with no screen at all. But its well worth it for the ability to actually see what's behind you.

You do get a reflection of the chrome parts of the centre console when the sun is at just the right angle but I find that the brain soon learns to filter this out.

Well worth the investment and I am about to post off a template of mine to a member so he can have a go at  making his own.

It's amazing that we have to go to USA to get a Perspex wind deflector in the UK for a car purchased in Germany eh ... some entrepreneurial bod could surely manufacture something like this in the UK ... I'm liking that Pedro unit though ... may place an order as a Xmas present to myself or as a present ... to my car ! ! ! ;o)

50 minutes ago, runner said:

Clear wind deflector wise ... can I ask where you sourced it from please ? 

From the US, also available via eBay. I think I paid around £70 when the exchange rate was a lot more favourable and I took delivery in the US. 

Check the thread. Solves rear vision issues 

8 minutes ago, runner said:

It's amazing that we have to go to USA to get a Perspex wind deflector in the UK for a car purchased in Germany eh ... some entrepreneurial bod could surely manufacture something like this in the UK ... I'm liking that Pedro unit though ... may place an order as a Xmas present to myself or as a present ... to my car ! ! ! ;o)

Agreed, I doubt it will take much to get them made over here and make a bundle

Thanks @Kevin G and @topradiothat's useful information.

@runner, my apologies in advance if I'm stating the obvious, but I noticed on Pedro's website that they ask you to e-mail your credit card details including the security code to them to place an order.  That would be very risky in terms of fraud, so I would phone them instead if you're going ahead.  Hope this is helpful ☺.

14 minutes ago, topradio said:

Dan, Why is that a problem? You will have to give your SC over the phone and they will have to write it down or enter it on their system. No more secure than sending it by email which I do it most days of the week.

Hi Eddie. The problem, as explained to me, is with the email, which forms a permanent  (and insecure) record of your credit card information on your and the vendor's email provider's servers.   I have heard stories of malware specifically designed to hack into email systems and look for 16-digit strings of numbers in emails, to try and scavenge for credit card details.

If you telephone the information through, then unless someone is eavesdropping on your call (unlikely!) only the vendor has the information, which they will key into a secure credit card keypad, then (hopefully) destroy the paper record.

The US has had a much more relaxed attitude to credit card security.  Chip and Pin has been introduced only recently and signature checks are cursory at best, with people routinely giving their credit cards to friends or family members to make purchases . 

32 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Thanks @Kevin G and @topradiothat's useful information.

@runner, my apologies in advance if I'm stating the obvious, but I noticed on Pedro's website that they ask you to e-mail your credit card details including the security code to them to place an order.  That would be very risky in terms of fraud, so I would phone them instead if you're going ahead.  Hope this is helpful ☺.

I believe the one I used allowed me to pay via PayPal 

Archived