Rusty exhaust studs

mxm1275

Hi all, been a while since I've posted anything on here. 

Advice needed:

Has anyone ever removed rusty studs from the manifold exhaust flange (three studs) and replaced them with nut/ bolt set up WITHOUT removing the manifold to cylinder head bolts?  Reason I ask is that those last bolts will probably be solid and probably snap when tried.

I need to replace mine.  They're not leaking, but will be soon.

Any ideas?

Matt

If you're talking about the triangle flange with two bolts in the bottom and one on the top? You should be able to do it on the car although I had a garage do mine and it was very awkward.

I bought some stainless nuts and bolts to replace them, had a bag load from Screwfix for a tenner.

This is a very common place for the exhaust to leak and I would recommend oem gaskets as the aftermarket ones I bought from ecp didn't look up to much.

If you really want to future proof you could go with all new couplers as well but oem again. Quite pricey for what they are but the cheaper one tend to leak?

5 hours ago, mxm1275 said:

Hi all, been a while since I've posted anything on here. 

Advice needed:

Has anyone ever removed rusty studs from the manifold exhaust flange (three studs) and replaced them with nut/ bolt set up WITHOUT removing the manifold to cylinder head bolts?  Reason I ask is that those last bolts will probably be solid and probably snap when tried.

I need to replace mine.  They're not leaking, but will be soon.

Any ideas?

Matt

Yes, in my project thread.

Swapped them for stainless bolts and nuts

The quality of the fasteners is really quite poor.

My 981 is showing the same issue at less than 12 months old. The 2 bolt flange below. I will replace the nuts shortly by clamping the joint then slackening the nut to prevent the gasket being disturbed.

That's the plan anyway ;) 

DSC01787_zpsotqzfx0s.jpg

10 minutes ago, Toeside said:

My 981 is showing the same issue at less than 12 months old. The 2 bolt flange below. I will replace the nuts shortly by clamping the joint then slackening the nut to prevent the gasket being disturbed.

DSC01787_zpsotqzfx0s.jpg

That's poor form for so new.   Wonder if that's warrantable in any way...

Mine now looks like this

(or at least it did a few months back, much cleaner now :P)

Q589GAJ.jpg

I think you'll be more than lucky to remove those with a socket :(

5 hours ago, Toeside said:

I was planning on: 

Deep hex (not multi hex) probably 1mm smaller than the original and some heat  but i will consider the warranty 'ask' that cj225 suggested if it looks like a dremel job :crying_anim02:

27 minutes ago, Toeside said:

I was planning on: 

Deep hex (not multi hex) probably 1mm smaller than the original and some heat  but i will consider the warranty 'ask' that cj225 suggested if it looks like a dremel job :crying_anim02:

Are they spot welded onto the flange like the 987?

The studs are spot welded, not the nuts.

You may get lucky, you'll need a new gasket if there is signs of blowing. And for a fiver I'd put new ones in.

The thing is,  it's not just the nuts that are rotten. The centre of the stud will have deteriorated, like mine below.

B72807EA-C27B-4AD8-B5EC-AD2B273DFA4C_zps

If it's covered under the warranty, I'd be tempted to let them sort it.

Got one side done!

The stud heads on mine look good in comparison to above (they should) and I cleaned up the threads using and M8 die before loosening the nut.

Just about 'bottled it' though but got a result.  

30 minutes ago, Toeside said:

Got one side done!

The stud heads on mine look good in comparison to above (they should) and I cleaned up the threads using and M8 die before loosening the nut.

Just about 'bottled it' though but got a result.  

Good job, where's the labour pics?

This issue has been noted on the last couple of services at the OPC on my 987. The bolts are properly corroded & I believe are more difficult to do than the 986 ones. Anyone got any advice on how to sort?

On 10/12/2016 at 0:36 PM, Boxstercol said:

This issue has been noted on the last couple of services at the OPC on my 987. The bolts are properly corroded & I believe are more difficult to do than the 986 ones. Anyone got any advice on how to sort?

Money ?, but if they're not leaking, leave them alone until funds permit. The Opc will cost a fortune. 

Thread doctor or similar would be my advice if you need to change them out. 

On 12/9/2016 at 6:06 PM, Toeside said:

Do you put salt on the roads like we do?

Most of the states do a few are using some environmentally safer spreads that don’t work as well and 3x the price.

14 hours ago, Polly'D said:

Most of the states do a few are using some environmentally safer spreads that don’t work as well and 3x the price.

We get the cheap rock salt....... great for ice but very bad news for our cars! :crying_anim02:

Pre-owned (you can’t say used anymore) cars from the northern states people avoid as their cars are rust buckets. New Mexico, Arizona good. Southern Calif and Florida tend to be better if inland away from coast/salt in the air. Many states that use salts buy this really cheap rocks stuff like you described. Lived in Alaska for a few years, sold my Lexus IS 250C 2WD-rear for a Subaru outback. No rust problems there the use gravel. Work great, except in spring thaw it was like gravel buckshot. During the summer, you would see all the classic 60s & 70s car in perfect condition no rust.

Was in London 3 times 82 to 83 never drove as it made no sense.

Thanks "Toeside" for your questions and comments. I much prefer this forum over the US ones. You blokes are more friendly & civilized. We have too many ar*eholes, funny how this translate very easily.

Archived