SORN'ing

runner

So easy question, just SORN'd the car ... how long do you do it for ... I'm thinking off road Dec 1st and back on road March 1st ... anyone else do the same, or perhaps more time off the road ... is it just for safe driving reasons, eg icey and snowy or just because the weather is too cold to use the roof down ... or even just down to not wanting stone chips from the gritters / getting the car all plastered up as in this time of year ... we have no choice !  

For me, it's more the icey angle ... as don't mind washing the car ... but prefer to use the mileage in the summer, as my 'little runner' car will be used more now, but come June ... the little runner will be parked up for quite a while !

When SORNing a car I do it a day before the start of the month I want to start the SORN from. It is open ended so you don't need to say I am going to SORN the car for 2,4 or 6 months as you just go online and tax the car in the spring when you feel like.

Last year I SORNed my car from Nov to April, this year Jan to may be April again as I'm away most of March.

Yeah ... thanks Tony, plan on Sorn'ing on Dec 30th ... leave it off the road at least till end Feb and if the weather forecasts infer March to be a nice month, put it back on then ... but if not, leave till April 1st !   Roll on spring ! ;o)

When Sorn'ing do they just refund the tax left for the year and then you just take out a full year again, eg I took the car tax out on Nov 1st, so they would deduct £22.50 x 2 and give me £270 - £44.50 back ? eg £225.00  ?  or is there admin fees etc ?

49 minutes ago, Rhencullen said:

I SORN my bikes each year at the end of October - retax them in April and pay monthly Direct Debit - just cancel the direct debit when not on the road and reinstate it in Spring which then cancels the SORN.

Does the payment by DD mean you pay more than a prorated amount of 9/12 ths then ? 

6 hours ago, runner said:

Does the payment by DD mean you pay more than a prorated amount of 9/12 ths then ? 

I don't think there are any added penalties or costs by paying by direct debit. For the majority of people who keep their tax in force all year this is actually a preferred method of payment as it renews automatically.

48 minutes ago, Rhencullen said:

I don't think there are any added penalties or costs by paying by direct debit. For the majority of people who keep their tax in force all year this is actually a preferred method of payment as it renews automatically.

This.

It costs no more to do by DD, and you get an email/letter at the end of the 12 month period confirming something or other, I forget what it says.

Thanks ... in that case when I cancel end of December I may well DD it when I reinstate March or April ! 

Cheers all for your comments on this thread. 

My Box is off the road, in the garage and on the battery conditioner from 1/11 to 31/3 each year. I also tax it DD, so stop my DD at the same time.  To me, my enjoyment comes from a warm sunny day with the roof down and listening to 'Rolling Stones' on the BOSE. I do about 2.5K miles a year, and every one of them is an occasion. 

Archived