Do I swap?

A15X

Hi all,

just after some opinions on if I should consider swapping my 987 for my dads.

both cars are black 2.7 manual.

my car is as follows - 2007 84k on the clock, has nav, Bose sports chrono and 6 speed box

dads is 2008 45k on the clock 5 speed, has a basic stereo and heated seats.

He is going to look to upgrade his in April to a 981 of some sort, I've been unsure so thought I'd put it out on the forum.

I guess only you can make a value judgement on cost, history, condition as nobody else can ;) 

Both cars been serviced as required with having an oil change between services.

dads paint work is in slightly better condition just due to mileage between the 2 cars and this is reflected in the cabin as well.

there isn't much between the two of them.

is it worth having a younger and lower mileage car?

If it's for free, why not?

Do think about the spec though, I'm sure the options listed are not the only ones on the cars ;)

As I'm told the 6th gear is not an overdrive but almost the same ratio as the 5th then I wouldn't miss that, and Bose is a pain to upgrade so wouldn't miss that either (factor in £600 for awesome aftermarket nav if you want). My sports chrono never gets used. Heated seats definitely good in winter.

Are the road tax costs the same? thought there was something about 5 / 6 gears in that.

3 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Would you miss chrono, Bose & the 6th gear?

This ^^^^

24 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Are the road tax costs the same? thought there was something about 5 / 6 gears in that.

And this ^^^^

Yes, the 6 speed was still in the higher road tax bracket until the 2.9 came out.

Your car sounds quite high spec and your dad's lower.  Do you have a/c or climate control?  Does his?  

You say that the interior is better on the newer car.  I wonder if you should swap the seats and anything showing signs of wear onto yours, you choose the best set of wheels/tyres and then p/ex his with the worn parts on? :unsure: 

If you swap the seats you'll lose the heating, or need to fight with the wiring... older car won't have the switches, relays etc.

Good idea about swapping all the best bits onto one car as far as possible.

Man maths - saving road tax will pay for a fancy satnav in 2 years ;)

Sounds like the condition is better but the spec is lower. I'd swap, because I know how my dad drives and treats his car, So if I wanted another one, my dads has a good provenance. Also when you decide to sell, "family owned" that's a nice comfort factor. It reads, "at least YOU wouldn't have bought it, if your dad had ragged the begezzus out of it". 

Enjoy!

Oh, and finally, a better chance of getting both keys ;) 

30 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

Sounds like the condition is better but the spec is lower. I'd swap, because I know how my dad drives and treats his car, So if I wanted another one, my dads has a good provenance. Also when you decide to sell, "family owned" that's a nice comfort factor. It reads, "at least YOU wouldn't have bought it, if your dad had ragged the begezzus out of it". 

Enjoy!

Oh, and finally, a better chance of getting both keys ;) 

This.  

And if it shyates on you,  you can make it your old man's problem for flogging you a lemon. :)  talk about insurance.. 

It sounds like you're quite attached to yours so although the logical answer is to swap I would say if you love yours and it's a keeper then don't swap - you'd only miss what you had nad maybe upgrade to a newer one in due course.

actually on my last point your Dad's would probably give you a better part ex price in the future but yours could be easier to sell.

Archived