Did u know..

718as

1 minute ago, Andy Mac said:

Sounds like the 981 model does NOT have one touch open and / or close of the roof (ie less functionality) from the 987.

Is that right? 

Has yours got a smartop or similar @718as ?

I've not tried it myself, just read it on another forum, car was standard.

also close the roof/open the roof via the remote :)

On 1/27/2017 at 11:57 AM, Araf said:

Yes, it's been the case for all 987s on.  The reverse happens when you stop too.  It should only be used up to 25mph on the older cars - not sure abut yours.  Earlier cars could be retrofitted with a relay (Smart Top) which did the same. 

It's always good to be reminded of this though, as I'm sure there's plenty on here that will be enlightened when they read your post. :) 

one touch works to put the roof down when the car is moving 5mph to about 40mph but NOT if putting the roof back up on a 981 (whereas it did it both ways on my 987)

25 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

one touch works to put the roof down when the car is moving 5mph to about 40mph but NOT if putting the roof back up on a 981 (whereas it did it both ways on my 987)

Shame if it starts raining.  Another backward step. ;)

On 1/28/2017 at 7:54 PM, Araf said:

Shame if it starts raining.  Another backward step. ;)

not really, just keep the speed above about 50 mph and you stay dry :)

Suspect that they prevent it on the 'going up' because its not got a manual latch....I would have thought there was a sensor to stop you getting small children/syrups/scarfs etc caught but maybe not...

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, tried it today, just flick the switch when driving and hood opens automatically. For closure you need to hold it.

With regard to the action completion of the open/close, is it completed once the message in the display goes off?, because the message goes off, yet the windows are still closing.

Can you stop pressing the switch once the message has gone, and thus leave the windows where they are?

Lastly, whilst you are told to only open/close under 30mph, it is possible to close it at higher speeds.

Thanks

2 hours ago, 718as said:

Yep, tried it today, just flick the switch when driving and hood opens automatically. For closure you need to hold it.

With regard to the action completion of the open/close, is it completed once the message in the display goes off?, because the message goes off, yet the windows are still closing.

Can you stop pressing the switch once the message has gone, and thus leave the windows where they are?

Lastly, whilst you are told to only open/close under 30mph, it is possible to close it at higher speeds.

Thanks

up to 40 mph I find

...and if you want to let go of the switch when the windows are half the way up then that's fine as long as the roof is properly stowed/up

• 3 weeks later...

"981 and 991, like 987 and 997 and 986 and 996, are mid- and rear-engine versions of the same car. Front 2/3rds is shared bar some cosmetic overpanels etc (not even that on the 986 and 996 first gen that shared front wings, door skins, the lot). Rear third is a mid- or rear-engine module that plugs in.

Indeed, if you're talking Carrera and Boxster, the engine is the same, too. Think of it more like 3 Series coupe, touring and saloon and estate - 3 Series 4WD coupe versus RWD touring. Same core car, some variants on drivetrain and body parts.

People often talk about Boxsters and 911s sharing parts. Really, it's the other way round. Same core car, but each version has some of its own parts.
"

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118866&sid=6d13bb81df5d744a1d36068c0f1e8bc3

Interesting:)

Archived