Did u know..

718as

From another forum.:ph34r:

If the vehicle is stationary, and you lower the roof, you pull the "open roof" tab up and hold it up until the roof is safely stowed away. Releasing the lever halfway means the hood stops in mid-opening (a Porsche safety feature). However, when the car is on the move (as I found out), I just have to pull up on the tab until the roof starts to open and then it will continue opening on its own - all the way till the windows raise to full up position again.

Yes, it's been the case for all 987s on.  The reverse happens when you stop too.  It should only be used up to 25mph on the older cars - not sure abut yours.  Earlier cars could be retrofitted with a relay (Smart Top) which did the same. 

It's always good to be reminded of this though, as I'm sure there's plenty on here that will be enlightened when they read your post. :) 

1 minute ago, Araf said:

Yes, it's been the case for all 987s on.  The reverse happens when you stop too.  It should only be used up to 25mph on the older cars - not sure abut yours.  Earlier cars could be retrofitted with a relay (Smart Top) which did the same. 

It's always good to be reminded of this though, as I'm sure there's plenty on here that will be enlightened when they read your post. :) 

Think it's 30mph for 981s but I have heard of people risking putting the roof down at 40mph and apparently it was fine. I wouldn't do it though but have put roof up and down at around 30mph with no problems. 

981 works up to 30mph, although I have to hold the button till operation is complete. Go above 30 and it wont let you open it or it stops opening if your speed creeps over while opening

I thought it worked so you're not distracted at 30mph driving along for 10-15 seconds with your left hand pulling the lever. So you can just flick it and focus on the road ahead. My 986 has a smart top relay, so in any circumstance I just press the button and let go and it does it's own things fully, on the move or stand still. I rarely do it on the move, occasionally in traffic if it's started to rain at walking speed.

14 minutes ago, 718as said:

From another forum.:ph34r:

If the vehicle is stationary, and you lower the roof, you pull the "open roof" tab up and hold it up until the roof is safely stowed away. Releasing the lever halfway means the hood stops in mid-opening (a Porsche safety feature). However, when the car is on the move (as I found out), I just have to pull up on the tab until the roof starts to open and then it will continue opening on its own - all the way till the windows raise to full up position again.

It's a safety feature: if you're driving, you don't want to have one hand tied up with operating the roof switch until the opening or closing cycle is finished.  Just like the rear spoiler, there's no chance of anyone outside getting caught up in the mechanism while the car is in motion, hence the "one touch" operation. 

My 987 had one touch up or down between 5-35 mph (ish).

I presume my 981 does the same - but reading the manual there is no mention of the 'one touch'. Good excuse to go see what it does.....

From the 981 manual - up to 31mph says to hold the switch until it's in the desired position. Must be one touch surely?

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

Can use the remote to open / close the roof on 981 too... again usually common knowledge - but great if you don't realise!

Just now, JohnSyn said:

Ah......that would be telling!

i had a 981S before the Spyder! 

I had visions of your passenger fighting with it - couldn't see how it could be done by the driver! 

1 minute ago, Boxob said:

I had visions of your passenger fighting with it - couldn't see how it could be done by the driver! 

It would be interesting to try wouldn't it! 

Whst ive found is that when I am about to set off in the Spyder, unlike my previous 981S, I gauge whether the weather is ok and make my decision about hood up or down. 

42 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

It's a safety feature: if you're driving, you don't want to have one hand tied up with operating the roof switch until the opening or closing cycle is finished.  Just like the rear spoiler, there's no chance of anyone outside getting caught up in the mechanism while the car is in motion, hence the "one touch" operation. 

So it closes with one touch too?

My 981 is not one touch, I have to hold the switch until the operation, opening or closing, is complete. Letting go of the switch mid operation stops the roof.

17 minutes ago, 718as said:

Also - If you park on a hill the parking brake will apply itself

Not the parking brake but a form of line lock. And the hill has to be of a certain incline for it to work. It's indicated by the green word "HOLD" appearing on the dash when it's applied. But if you take it out of gear it will disengage and you'll roll back.

10 minutes ago, CMA said:

Not the parking brake but a form of line lock. And the hill has to be of a certain incline for it to work. It's indicated by the green word "HOLD" appearing on the dash when it's applied. But if you take it out of gear it will disengage and you'll roll back.

No, I read that the park brake applies itself on a manual car if parked in an incline.

Archived