Todays Mod.

andygo

Bought a steering wheel re cover from Royal Steering Wheels yesterday.

I had some carbon fibre wrap (3m DiNock, more textured than cheap stuff) and covered, well, the bits you can see.

Feels great to have a wheel that doesn't feel like a 1960 mini!

wheel%202.jpg

wheel.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The carbon wrap I could live with, but not the yellow shoe laces. ;) 

I like the wheel,but then I had a wheel thickened on one of the old cars, so an biased. :) 

1 hour ago, andygo said:

So much easier to tie the missus up in the dark!

:laugh:

wheel looks great too :)

It was £150. look at Royal Steering Wheels. www.royalsteeringwheels.com

Why on earth Porsche didn't fit something like it as standard is very strange. It was the one thing that has always annoyed me about my 987. Well that and the 1980 radio set up, lol.

48 minutes ago, andygo said:

It was £150. look at Royal Steering Wheels. www.royalsteeringwheels.com

Why on earth Porsche didn't fit something like it as standard is very strange. It was the one thing that has always annoyed me about my 987. Well that and the 1980 radio set up, lol.

Looks great. How does it work with those guys?  Did you take the car in or remove the wheel and send it in?  Just wondering if I could get it done same day if I drove over there.  I will get in touch and find out...

Just checked on their website. They do an exchange and fit service. Might have to tie this in with another trip over that way...

1 minute ago, andygo said:

They are only 16 miles from me so I booked a visit. Took about 15 mins to swap out. Cheaper for me than posting back and forth.

What options did you choose in terms of thickness etc. I see slightly thicker and thicker mentioned on some of the photos.  Did you visit first to try some options - before ordering?  I find my 987 wheel too thin and too shiny so something like you have had fitted does appeal. 

This is my order. £140. £15 with fitting.

997/987  2007 (Trangular Airbag, Black) – Thicker, Thumb grips added, Perforated leather on sides, Smooth top/bottom, Mid silver 415 stitching

3 minutes ago, andygo said:

This is my order. £140. £15 with fitting.

997/987  2007 (Trangular Airbag, Black) – Thicker, Thumb grips added, Perforated leather on sides, Smooth top/bottom, Mid silver 415 stitching

Thanks.  Looks like I have call to make this week...

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Thanks.  Looks like I have call to make this week...

One thing I have to say is that the quality is absolutely OEM. which is nice to know,!

Also, the car has gained another 50BHP as a result...

2 minutes ago, andygo said:

One thing I have to say is that the quality is absolutely OEM. which is nice to know,!

Yeah. Just been reading reviews over the years. Looks good - its been in my mind for a while. Seeing yours has made my mind up. 

Haha 50BHP. Can't ignore that :D

Very nice, do they do Red stiching, no need to answer that I'll check their website. 

Guvs.

My Royal Wheel is lovely (came on the car). Black alcantara all around, slightly thicker all round with black stitching. Highly recommended for quality and feel. It's years old now and still tidy. Jack offered me some good cleaning advice last year on it too which was kind as I'm not a direct customer.

1 hour ago, Hugh74 said:

This thread just cost me about £140 :)

:lol: 

I've had Alcantara before.  It was nice, but it won't last if the car is being used daily.  I'd have it again but only on a car which was being used infrequently.

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

My Royal Wheel is lovely (came on the car). Black alcantara all around, slightly thicker all round with black stitching. Highly recommended for quality and feel. It's years old now and still tidy. Jack offered me some good cleaning advice last year on it too which was kind as I'm not a direct customer.

Can you share the cleaning advice please Jason?

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Can you share the cleaning advice please Jason?

Pretty much; to use a soft brush to loosen any dry dirt with a hoover near by to take it away. Then go over the whole thing with a cloth that is wringed out/damp with a mild diluted detergent. In a gentle but meaningful gripping motion rotate towards and away from you working your way around the wheel.

I went over mine twice leaving to dry overnight between. I was surprised at the colour of the water when I rinsed out the cloth (dirty) and how it was nearly the same on a second pass.

Note: advice to not soak the wheel as it doesn't need to be very wet at all. 

The alcantara is now much nicer to the touch and fluffy, with no flat grey/shiny patches namely at the 9 & 3 thumb grip positions.

For detergent, I used a tiny single drop of Fairly liquid in around a pint of water. Right or wrong, unsure. But it worked and left no marks. There's probably a fancy branded detailer potion for £10-£15 that works as well/better.

4 hours ago, Hugh74 said:

This thread just cost me about £140 :)

You are not the only one I think!

4 hours ago, Hugh74 said:

Was looking at their website too, have heard good things about them before. Alcantara, Yea or nae?

Not sure on this myself, either the smooth and perforated option as the OP.  Or I was thinking about possibly a mixed leather and Alcantara option from the website. 

My new Merc has an AMG wheel with smooth/perforated leather combination, thicker and shaped thumb areas, it feels really good so I might just end up going for this as a safe option.

The next question for me is then what colour.  My interior is Stone Grey, not sure what colour the wheel is now, I just know its too shiny and too thin, need to get it outside in the daylight and have a look/decide.  Thoughts - what should I do - black or dark grey for the new wheel?

1 minute ago, Hugh74 said:

I was worried a bit about keeping the alcantara clean although I don't drive mine daily. I will prob just go for the safer option and get leather. Will def use Royal Steering Wheels though. 

+1

And I'm not sure if I like the 'fluffy' appearance of the Alcantara though it's got to be more grippy?

Archived