Todays Mod.

andygo

4 hours ago, andygo said:

I'd say the wheel looks smaller in real time as most of the increased size seems to be on the inside radius.

Just been to France for the weekend, very pleased with my decision.

One thought I had regarding alacantra/leather mixes..

When turning, your hands are going to be going from grippy, to not so grippy and back to grippy texture. Might take a little getting used to and also the Alalcantra will wear at a

different rate?

Good point on grip.  Has anyone got a mixed wheel from Royal - if so how do you find it?

@That986 when do you get your new wheel?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, rowbos said:

Good point on grip.  Has anyone got a mixed wheel from Royal - if so how do you find it?

@That986 when do you get your new wheel?

Hoping for this week. The alcantara on mine has been extended more so it should come up to the 11 and 1 o'clock position rather than the 10 & 2 as standard which means it should cover about 80% of it. 

I've had mixed wheels before and never found it a problem. When you're out on a decent road you barely go much past half a turn on the wheel anyway. The thing i personally find more annoying are the markers people put in wheels at the top dead centre, I always find my fingers catch them and/or the sun reflects off them straight into your eyeballs. 

Tbh if i could have made my Nardi work in the car I wouldn't have even looked at these but my car doesn't seem to want to play ball with it.

2 hours ago, That986 said:

Hoping for this week. The alcantara on mine has been extended more so it should come up to the 11 and 1 o'clock position rather than the 10 & 2 as standard which means it should cover about 80% of it. 

I've had mixed wheels before and never found it a problem. When you're out on a decent road you barely go much past half a turn on the wheel anyway. The thing i personally find more annoying are the markers people put in wheels at the top dead centre, I always find my fingers catch them and/or the sun reflects off them straight into your eyeballs. 

Tbh if i could have made my Nardi work in the car I wouldn't have even looked at these but my car doesn't seem to want to play ball with it.

Quick update: Wheel should arrive on the 14th.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, That986 said:

Quick update: Wheel should arrive on the 14th.

I think I might wait to see what yours looks like before I order - I can't get over there until the end of March with my Box anyway to get it swapped/fitted.  I am interested in how yours looks with the partial alcantara extended higher up on the wheel.

29 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I think I might wait to see what yours looks like before I order - I can't get over there until the end of March with my Box anyway to get it swapped/fitted.  I am interested in how yours looks with the partial alcantara extended higher up on the wheel.

Should be more like the Evo version attached but come a little bit more round than that tbh, I want it to go past the thumb grips as i've asked for those to be more pronounced as well. The ones I've seen have the change near the top of the thumb grip which would eventually annoy me. 

Hopefully between that and some seats i'm hoping to get the cabin should feel a lot better.

evo-5-pedded-alcantara-9040-sides-nappa-topbottom-yellow-stripe-black-stitching-1.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 2017-2-7 at 2:28 PM, rowbos said:

Hi @rowbos. Just came across this thread. Did you ever get your wheel done? If so, would be interestef in photos. Like yours, mine is Stone Grey and it's gone shiny, plus i think the standard wheel is pretty boring anyway. The wheel on my Skoda is part perforated, thicker and has thimb grips so i'm thinking similar would be an improvement to the Boxster. 

Cheers.

25 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Hi @rowbos. Just came across this thread. Did you ever get your wheel done? If so, would be interestef in photos. Like yours, mine is Stone Grey and it's gone shiny, plus i think the standard wheel is pretty boring anyway. The wheel on my Skoda is part perforated, thicker and has thimb grips so i'm thinking similar would be an improvement to the Boxster. 

Cheers.

I certainly did.  Very pleased with the results...

Take a look halfway down this thread there are pictures   

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I certainly did.  Very pleased with the results...

Take a look halfway down this thread there are pictures   

Brilliant. Thanks alot. Definitely on my wish list now!

5 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Brilliant. Thanks alot. Definitely on my wish list now!

I think it's a great upgrade for very reasonable money.  I showed Lee at Cotswold just after I had it fitted and he was very surprised at the cost (in a good way!)

Just thought I'd share the following with you all. I was recently looking to get the wheel, gear knob/gator and handbrake parts recovered in alcantara by Jack at Royal Steering wheels and here is the quote:

1. wheel 987 2005 ( triangular airbag, Black) - Slightly thicker, Thumb grips added, Black Alcantara 9040, Mid grey/ Silver 415 stitching
2. Gear gear knob and gaiter -  Black Alcantara 9040, Mid grey/ Silver 415 stitching
3. handbrake hande+ Smallpanel -  Black Alcantara 9040, Mid grey/ Silver 415 stitching 

The price would be:
160GBP (1) + 60GBP (2) + 50GBP(3) + 20GBP fitting

51 minutes ago, Sheppie_hill said:

Just thought I'd share the following with you all. I was recently looking to get the wheel, gear knob/gator and handbrake parts recovered in alcantara by Jack at Royal Steering wheels and here is the quote:

1. wheel 987 2005 ( triangular airbag, Black) - Slightly thicker, Thumb grips added, Black Alcantara 9040, Mid grey/ Silver 415 stitching
2. Gear gear knob and gaiter -  Black Alcantara 9040, Mid grey/ Silver 415 stitching
3. handbrake hande+ Smallpanel -  Black Alcantara 9040, Mid grey/ Silver 415 stitching 

The price would be:
160GBP (1) + 60GBP (2) + 50GBP(3) + 20GBP fitting

Very helpful. Cheers.

Archived