Fuel Economy

Leonard

OK it does pain me to start a thread about MPG :D but thought it may be relevant to new purchasers.

Currently driving around in a base PDK 2L 718 loaner (6000 miles on clock) and getting really poor MPG. Considerably worse than my 981 Manual (14,000 miles on clock)

18 mile commute to work on A and B roads I'm getting average 23.5mpg-26.5mpg with mixed driving. Used to seeing 26.5mpg-31mpg

Just wondered if my experiences echo anyone elses?

Normally i would put it down to pushing a smaller engine harder, but 718 has almost as much power as my S and more torque as well as 7 speed gearbox

Very interesting.  If your experience is typical, then is this another example of manufacturers designing engines specifically to impress in official mpg and CO2 tests, but delivering poor real world results?

Is the 718 fully run in?  If the engine is still "tight" then frictional losses might adversely affect fuel consumption.  However, this is much less a factor than if used to be, given the very precise tolerances to which modern engines are manufactured. 

Had my 718 since 1st July. Clocked up 2,700 miles. Most of it on B and A roads. MPG is between 30 and 33mpg.

7 minutes ago, ians said:

Had my 718 since 1st July. Clocked up 2,700 miles. Most of it on B and A roads. MPG is between 30 and 33mpg.

Interesting. Does yours have Sport Chrono Ian?

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Computer readout or manually calculated from brimming the tank?

It's a VAG product now remember, pinch of salt required ;)

Ha ha very true. Only from computer. If i can be bothered will do it properly :P

8 minutes ago, ians said:

No Sport Chrono.

I didn't use either of Sports modes today but can imagine they have an affect. I run my manual in Sports and Sports plus quite a lot but then I'm obviously choosing when to hold onto revs/gears for longer.

Will drive back sensibly tonight ;)

Worth pointing out I live in Peak District so it is a hilly commute also. Still the comparisons against my NA car remain the same.

I think the 718 is not likely to see much improvement over the 981 mpg wise on the type of driving you do Leonard as you will be on boost most of the time. I suspect on a motorway/ dual carriageway run or a very stop start (lots of idle) journey the 718 would be better.  I suspect the 718 might be not quite at its peak mpg either, with other cars I've found mpg increasing until 10-12k miles.

Mpg is one thing that I don't really worry about I don't even  reset the trip now when empty I just fill it up

My old 987 did mid 25 to the gallon so did my z4.I'm expecting to do the same.

If worse than the 981 then would cost an extra £4 per fill up not a big deal.the saving on ved as the co2 is lower will equalise it out.

4 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

If worse than the 981 then would cost an extra £4 per fill up not a big deal.the saving on ved as the co2 is lower will equalise it out.

Amen to that.

I think I was just suprised was all shouldn't have been really I guess

@Greenman I drove home under 50 all the way tonight to try and keep the car in 7th gear as much as possible. Car did 31.8mpg. Pretty much same as my 981S if i was to do the same (I get low 32's)

I've put the general low mpg figure down to Sport mode and PDK holding onto the gears more than I maybe would in my manual 981. Obviously it's trying to foresee what I'm going to do and obviously that is something I can do better myself with a manual box 

11 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Sport mode also spools the turbo up so you don't get any lag so that would account for increased mpg?

Yes makes sense. Overall mixed driving I'm definitely better off in my NA car. As you say I doubt (hope) nobody is going to buy a new Boxster for fuel economy anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Recent run a mixture of motorway and moors in manual 718 with sports exhaust.

Brim to brim test of 979 miles produced mileage of 35.47 MPG.

The car has covered 4500 odd miles, so I imagine will improve with increased mileage.

21 minutes ago, T24RES said:

Awesome tank range ;)

He's had the additional frunk tank fitted for extra range :) 

Archived