big mike

Can't go too far wrong with Michelin,  Kwikfit occasionally do a deal on four Michelin otherwise if you know someone with a Costco card they do good deals... After that it's usual online suspects,  camskill,  oponeo,  tyres pneus online,  etyres  or if you're desperate blackcircles.   My recent experience with the latter is they are quite happy to seel you tyres that are three years old 'as new'.   If you're comfortable with that their prices can be competitive.   I'm not. 

Medium-sized Mike 

i went with yokohama advan sport on the fronts and they have been brilliant,very grippy in all conditions.

purchased from bc and had no issues with the tyres being old stock,they were just a few months old.

1 hour ago, banjo1 said:

i went with yokohama advan sport on the fronts and they have been brilliant,very grippy in all conditions.

purchased from bc and had no issues with the tyres being old stock,they were just a few months old.

Check  BCs terms and conditions.  They state quite openly they are prepared to sell tyres that are upto three years old 'as new'.  They don't warn you of thst fact and if you complain or reject them they send you a stock reply pointing to their terms and conditions of sale.   They don't budge.   I,  for one,  won't use them again on this basis alone.  Other suppliers are much more accommodating. 

There's plenty of complaints about this practice across many forums. 

FYI,  this is what they told me:

Thank you for your email.

Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail for a period of up to 5 years from the date of production.

Although no definitive information has been offered by the major manufacturers, the 5 year period is accepted as the industry standard, being based on the German BRV.

When in use, it is recommended that tyres replaced when they are 7 - 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers), as tyres are less prone to deterioration on the vehicle than they are in storage.

We always aim to supply tyres that are less than 3 years old to our customer.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Sophie
Customer Service/Sales Manager
T: 01721 725060

1 hour ago, mike597 said:

Check  BCs terms and conditions.  They state quite openly they are prepared to sell tyres that are upto three years old 'as new'.  They don't warn you of thst fact and if you complain or reject them they send you a stock reply pointing to their terms and conditions of sale.   They don't budge.   I,  for one,  won't use them again on this basis alone.  Other suppliers are much more accommodating. 

There's plenty of complaints about this practice across many forums. 

looks like i got lucky then.

1 hour ago, banjo1 said:

looks like i got lucky then.

No I don't think so,  I think I got unlucky.   I don't think they *only* sell aged tyres but they can and do and there's not much you can do about it.   Other than not use them,  which is my solution. 

3 hours ago, PaulQ said:

If you want something decent and cheaper, then Kumho KU39 work well.

Tyre leader or giga tyres, though check with you local fitters as sometimes there's not much in it price wise.

Ive got these ob the front of my car abd they grip well. Good price too and got good lables. 

I used to work in a tyre garage and we use to fit for BC but dew to BC not sending payments for tyres fit we stopped fitting for them. We did have a few tyres sent that were very old and personally i wouldnt fit a tyre older than 3 years old. ALL TYRES ARE DATED

16 minutes ago, big mike said:

It's 255*40*17 I have on rear,is that the wrong size

986?  That's the correct rear tyre size.

The only matching set of Porsche approved tyres that Camskill have are Michelins at £88.95 for the fronts and £134.80 for the rears.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s3991p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_17_inch_R17_inch_-_225_45_17_225_45R17_OE_Porsche

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s3993p102334/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_2_PS2_-_255_40_R17_(94Y)_(N3)_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Not a bad price, IMHO.

4 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Sorry, I thought that the 986 ran 225s on the front for 17" wheels.  I know the 987 runs 205s on the front for 17" wheels, but that is because they are the bargain basement size, matched to a 235 width rear.

1 hour ago, Araf said:

Sorry, I thought that the 986 ran 225s on the front for 17" wheels.  I know the 987 runs 205s on the front for 17" wheels, but that is because they are the bargain basement size, matched to a 235 width rear.

Mine are 205 on 17" wheels of 7" width. 

Just ordered full set for my 986 on 17" twists.

Currently got N2 Pilot Sport 2's on, in the OEM sizes of 205/50 and 255/40.  

I've decided to go for the recommended change to 225/45 fronts, and 255/40 rear. Not bothered about 'N' rating as the car is old, tyres have moved on a lot since the Boxster was designed.

I would have gone for Pilot Sport 4 - except they don't make them to suit the rear!

Current good options on Blackcircles - which seem to be consistently the best for fitted prices. I have bought from camskill etc before but tyre fitters are less and less keen to fit your own tyres. 

- Kumho KU39 - £319 fitted. These look like the best option for tight budget, although I wouldnt expect them to last too long. 

- Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - £419 fitted. Excellent reviews, have used before, quiet too. These are very good, the newer Asymmetric 3 not available in correct sizes though.

- Yokohama Advan V105 -  £407. Excellent reviews, well suited to track use, have used Yokos before and also OEM fit on 718 Cayman/Boxster. 

I have gone for the Yokohamas, fitting next Saturday. 

(Note, theres various Dunlop Sportmaxx options around the same price as Goodyear but none of them available in exact same versions for front and rear, which put me off. However these are pretty good, and very quiet road tyres, I have them on my Jag where noise&comfort is more a priority). 

Need a full set on mine before long, in 19" have found the Goodyear for about £650 fitted or PS2's for about £820 fitted.

Tempted by the Goodyear's - they seem to get good reviews.

1 minute ago, Fatbloke said:

I put a full set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on (18") and they are pretty good. They were very reasonably priced on the Camskill website.

I like them on our other cars.  Not tried them on a Porsche though.

6 hours ago, snotrag said:

I would have gone for Pilot Sport 4 - except they don't make them to suit the rear!

I would have gone with 235 or 245.

The pilot sport 4's are excellent. I have them on the front.

Archived