big mike

1 hour ago, richardy said:

To quote the Bard, 'To N or not to N, that is the question'

I got chatting to another Boxster owner at the filling station recently.  On the subject of 'N' rated tyres, he told me that Porsche refused to sell him an extended warranty on his Cayenne because he had non 'N' rated winter tyres fitted when it went in for the pre-warranty check, even though he had another set of wheels with 'N' rated summer tyres at home.

5 hours ago, big mike said:

I'm really tempted with the Khumo ones,

Anyone used the 39 on the rear and 31 on the front?

Yes. Works fine.

If you change the front size from 205/50 to 225/45, then you could have 39's all round.

The only problem with the 31/39's is they can be noisy (sounds like a wheel bearing going south)

Some of the sizes are rated at 74/75 db which is very high.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/kumho/ecsta-le-sport-ku39/225-45-r17-94y-436235?utm_source=compare&utm_medium=google-shopping&utm_campaign=tyre&gclid=CJT0oZqDiNICFcE_GwodYMoK4w

5 hours ago, big mike said:

I thought the KU39 replaced the KU31. :unsure:  If that's the case, the 31s may be old or at least different technology.  It wouldn't be any different from using differing makes on the axles though....

21 hours ago, snotrag said:

Just ordered full set for my 986 on 17" twists.

Currently got N2 Pilot Sport 2's on, in the OEM sizes of 205/50 and 255/40.  

I've decided to go for the recommended change to 225/45 fronts, and 255/40 rear. Not bothered about 'N' rating as the car is old, tyres have moved on a lot since the Boxster was designed.

I would have gone for Pilot Sport 4 - except they don't make them to suit the rear!

Current good options on Blackcircles - which seem to be consistently the best for fitted prices. I have bought from camskill etc before but tyre fitters are less and less keen to fit your own tyres. 

- Kumho KU39 - £319 fitted. These look like the best option for tight budget, although I wouldnt expect them to last too long. 

- Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - £419 fitted. Excellent reviews, have used before, quiet too. These are very good, the newer Asymmetric 3 not available in correct sizes though.

- Yokohama Advan V105 -  £407. Excellent reviews, well suited to track use, have used Yokos before and also OEM fit on 718 Cayman/Boxster. 

I have gone for the Yokohamas, fitting next Saturday. 

(Note, theres various Dunlop Sportmaxx options around the same price as Goodyear but none of them available in exact same versions for front and rear, which put me off. However these are pretty good, and very quiet road tyres, I have them on my Jag where noise&comfort is more a priority). 

You say the recommended change to 225/45, is this because of improved handling or cheaper tyres? I've currently got Continental Sport Contact 205/50, but will need to change soon. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Yokos.

11 hours ago, big mike said:

Only 39s all round, excellent value.  With a decent geo, handled very well. Tyre life too was great.

My winter fronts are N (and effing ace actually) 

my winter Rears are non N, and are also superb!

I trust my front every bit as much as my rear. Both squirm under pressure, but today at least they talked sense and didn't  have the street tyre equivalent of Tourette's Syndrome. tumblr_moqd6lzalm1qbnleeo1_400.gif?w=690

Done a few miles on the Yokohama Advan 105's now - very pleased so far. Nice and quiet, not too stiff, feel very, very grippy and tactile. 

On 11/02/2017 at 1:34 PM, Nobbie said:

You say the recommended change to 225/45, is this because of improved handling or cheaper tyres? I've currently got Continental Sport Contact 205/50, but will need to change soon. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Yokos.

Nobbie - the standard setup with 17's has the most pronounced stagger of all the Boxster variants - 50mm more on the rear than the front, which is why it tends to push/understeer a bit. Moving to 225/45 on the front is almost exactly the same diameter, but with a decent amount more grip on the front to improve the balance. I'm pleased with the change to 225's on the front - has definitely moved the balance of the car a little, feels much better on long sweepers when loaded up (cough, roundabouts), with just a tiny bit of extra weight through the steering. 

There also appears to be slightly better availability of tyres if you want all 4 matching. 

Will see how they last on track on the 4th March. 

1 hour ago, snotrag said:

Done a few miles on the Yokohama Advan 105's now - very pleased so far. Nice and quiet, not too stiff, feel very, very grippy and tactile. 

Nobbie - the standard setup with 17's has the most pronounced stagger of all the Boxster variants - 50mm more on the rear than the front, which is why it tends to push/understeer a bit. Moving to 225/45 on the front is almost exactly the same diameter, but with a decent amount more grip on the front to improve the balance. I'm pleased with the change to 225's on the front - has definitely moved the balance of the car a little, feels much better on long sweepers when loaded up (cough, roundabouts), with just a tiny bit of extra weight through the steering. 

There also appears to be slightly better availability of tyres if you want all 4 matching. 

Will see how they last on track on the 4th March. 

Cheers for that, just had a check on my tyres today and the inner edges are very low, so as an MOT is due, looks like I'll be buying some tyres soon. Might well follow your lead?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 8:17 AM, mike597 said:

Can't go too far wrong with Michelin,  Kwikfit occasionally do a deal on four Michelin otherwise if you know someone with a Costco card they do good deals... After that it's usual online suspects,  camskill,  oponeo,  tyres pneus online,  etyres  or if you're desperate blackcircles.   My recent experience with the latter is they are quite happy to seel you tyres that are three years old 'as new'.   If you're comfortable with that their prices can be competitive.   I'm not. 

Medium-sized Mike 

Thanks for this, didn't know about camskill before! Received Goodyear F1 A3 from them for £413 delivered @ R18 size. Best price and service, tires were manufactured 42'nd week of 2016 as well, so really happy about that.

Archived