19" wheels on 986?

siddleg

Just now, Loz987 said:

I just need to eat less. My wheels could weigh less than air and my Boxster would still have a fat knacker behind the wheel. 

That's what's known as adjusting the weight distribution. :lol:

1 minute ago, Loz987 said:

I just need to eat less. My wheels could weigh less than air and my Boxster would still have a fat knacker behind the wheel. 

"fat knacker"...

PMSL!  :laugh:I haven't heard that expression since leaving Ireland 33 years ago.  

At least you're not unsprung weight! 

3 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

"fat knacker"...

PMSL!  :laugh:I haven't heard that expression since leaving Ireland 33 years ago.  

At least you're not unsprung weight! 

You and I know what section of the community that expression refers to, not sure Loz does.

4 hours ago, That986 said:

Correct and tbh if you fit the right combo of wheel and tyre you can actually lose weight.

According to a quick google search @Loz987 huge rears (tyres :lol:) come in at 12.7kg.

Bridgestone S02 in 255/40/17 are 11.8kg, and I would guess my dainty 235/45/17 Contis are around 10kg.

You will get some variation between different manufacturers & models. Toyo T1 R/S are one of the lighter tyres.

23 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

According to a quick google search @Loz987 huge rears (tyres :lol:) come in at 12.7kg.

Bridgestone S02 in 255/40/17 are 11.8kg, and I would guess my dainty 235/45/17 Contis are around 10kg.

You will get some variation between different manufacturers & models. Toyo T1 R/S are one of the lighter tyres.

I think That986 was preempting the argument that a 17" wheel and tyre combo will generally weigh less than a 19" combo - but if you choose forged wheels then they will use less metal than a moulded wheel for the same strength.

2 minutes ago, Araf said:

I think That986 was preempting the argument that a 17" wheel and tyre combo will generally weigh less than a 19" combo - but if you choose forged wheels then they will use less metal than a moulded wheel for the same strength.

Yes, I agree, but you need to compare like for like really :)

22 minutes ago, Araf said:

Correct. But if you start to to look into other options then you could easily lighten the unsprung weight on each corner with some choice wheels. You could easily lose a few kilos each corner, the Work wheels on my last car for example. They were there for looks (i'm not going to kid anyone) but the weight difference between them and the Rotiforms that came off was night and day and you could feel that difference immediately when driving. 

4 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Yes, I agree, but you need to compare like for like really :)

Yes and no.  If you say yes then smaller will be lighter.  However if you are comparing what you have, to a style you want - say the difference between a 17" Porsche Twist and 19" Oz Ultraleggera then you will probably end up with less unsprung weight.

mine are on and to be fair i can feel the difference in these 19s, but its not that much to my others..i will tell more after a weeks pottering about but seem pleased with them overall..they are certainly more positive and hold the road very well.

IMG_20170514_200406_zpsewaik8nx.jpg

My 19s have been awesome in a Carlos Fandango kinda way, until I put 295s on the rear. Just too fat. 

Even after weight loss surgery...

39E1B13C-DDE1-4C8E-8F39-369561ECE2CA.jpg

5A1FEB16-62C0-415B-A04B-2EAAFB28DE86.jpg

980B7049-2449-4DFA-B0C1-CAC16064745B.jpg

They can still chafe a little...:huh:

28 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Let the Boxster meet the grinder ?

Makes a change from Grindr. ;) 

On 8 March 2017 at 9:52 AM, Araf said:

Some people are just victims of fashion. :weeep:  

One of the first things I did to my 987 was to knock it down onto 18s - and even better are the 17" winters that I have.  I might just have to invest in another set of 17s and flog the 18s. :) 

This is good to know, I'm a victim of fashion so I'm keen to change my wheels when the time comes however sticking to 17/18's seems a better option. 

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:53 AM, Loz987 said:

My 19s have been awesome in a Carlos Fandango kinda way, until I put 295s on the rear. Just too fat. 

Even after weight loss surgery...

39E1B13C-DDE1-4C8E-8F39-369561ECE2CA.jpg

5A1FEB16-62C0-415B-A04B-2EAAFB28DE86.jpg

980B7049-2449-4DFA-B0C1-CAC16064745B.jpg

They can still chafe a little...:huh:

my excuse to use this

Archived